1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

heady topper

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cpjtr9559, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpjtr9559

cpjtr9559 Initiate (0) New York Nov 30, 2007

going to get some heady topper tomorrow
    is it worth a drive of 2+hours?
    DevilsCups and sbrotschul like this.
  2. honkduh

honkduh Savant (305) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

3. Yes very worth the drive!
  4. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Of course it is, while your there look for HF and Lawson's too. Nice drive, leaves are changing you can grab a brew in one of the local pubs. If I was two hours away I'd make it a once every 2-3 month trip. I could stretch a case two months without getting burned out.
    grandmeaulnes likes this.
  5. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Shoulda done this poll style.

I vote maybe.
  6. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

ohhh yes.
  7. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

If you have to ask you might as well. If you don't you may always wonder what if. Arguing what is best is pointless but Heady is one of the best DIPAs I have had. I have driven further for less, I would make a two hour trip for Heady if I could.
  8. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

I would make that drive every time I ran out of HT.
  9. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

No beer is worth a 2 hour drive in my opinion. There are plenty of great beers out there.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  10. It's a great beer, but be sure to call the brewery before heading over to be sure there's some available. I've been in the area a few times and stopped at the brewery to find out that they've sold out for the day. Would be kinda crappy to drive 2 hours for no reason.
  11. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

It depends on what else is available within two hrs. I wouldn't do it, but I have stuff I like as much or more within 15 minutes.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I've driven two hours to buy\drink beer nowhere near as good as Heady, so I'd say yes.
  13. Depends on how much of it you buy.

Oh hell, who am I kidding. Yes.
  14. A two hour drive is nothing, unless it's solely for the beer. Make a weekend out of it. The area is spectacular for hiking, camping, skiing, or for touring breweries. Make a weekend out of it, and a two hour drive is a no-brainer. We go 2-3 times a year to the Stowe area to hike (will be there in 2 weeks)- 3+ hour drive that's worth every minute.
  15. although, since you said you are going tomorrow (Monday), it'll be hard to make a weekend out of it... in any event, it would be worth spending a couple days up there.
  16. I would drive 5 hours for this beer! its one of my favorite DIPAs
  17. check ahead of time...they tend to sell out fairly quickly, from what I hear
  18. no brainer. should probably just get a case while you're at it. you will be happy you did. looks like the route might take you in to Burlington which would make for a nice lunch stop/break. Waterbury has plenty of
    cool spots to grab a bite/brew too. great time
    of year for a little VT drive no matter what.
  19. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

He'll yes. Wish I lived 2 hours away, takes me 6.
    RochesterAaron and fmccormi like this.
  20. bld81

bld81 Aficionado (195) Missouri Mar 9, 2009

This is the right idea. Get up early and drive, have lunch and load up the trunk with those silver cans, take a nice hike, then drive back. I can see doing this once a month!
  21. I took the 6+ hour drive with my wife and "made a weekend of it" twice this summer. Definitely worth it. All of the people warning of "running out" are a bit misguided if you're going tomorrow. They release cans on Mon/Thurs - you should be find. Grab a bite to eat in Waterbury and you should be able to get some HF/Lawson's on tap as well. (Food is great at both Pro Pig and Resevoir). I'd make that drive in a heartbeat.
    franklinn and fmccormi like this.
  22. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

yes, it's worth it. i'd stop for lunch/dinner in waterbury.

honestly, if i kept my heady topper supply up i'd probably stop buying other IPAs (other than the rare treat hill farmstead and NEBCO stuff).
  23. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

If heady topper was within 2 hours of me, I'd be typing this from the car because id be on my way there. Go get it!
    harperman69, Pahn and Hanzo like this.
  24. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I make a point, without hesitation, to drive 3+ hours to the VT breweries every time I'm back seeing my family in southern NH...so 2 hours is almost an ideal situation.
  25. Even if they sell out at the cannery, they will be more than happy to point you to one of the stores in the area likely to have it. But yes, calling ahead is very good advice.
  26. Go leaf-peep and pick up a few cases. It is worth it. Call a distributor before you leave.
  27. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

Two hours each way really isn't that bad for a day trip. Lots of options in Waterbury and Burlington to grab lunch/dinner and find Hill Farmstead and/or Lawsons on tap as well. Once you crack that first can you'll know whether or not it was worth it.
  28. MDDMD

MDDMD Advocate (550) Pennsylvania Jun 4, 2011

yes, no brainer. get a case--my faorite DIPA!
  29. dpetersen

dpetersen Disciple (55) New York Sep 26, 2009

Take some time out and head up to Hill Farmstead as well. Then loop back around at 4pm when the Blackback Pub opens for their epic beer selection. Also stop by the Hunger Mountain COOP in MontPelier, you can sometimes get Lawsons there.
  30. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

100% yes for a stock-up run, don't go to somewhere like a bar for one can.
  31. in thinking about it more the mere fact that you are only 2+ hrs away is pretty darn cool. I'm sure there's tons of folks all over the country that would love to give heady topper a try and it's pretty far out of their reach. there's so many beers I've read about on here that I would love to try and would if I know they were within a few hour drive. so i say go for
    it!
  32. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

That is really a questions to ask yourself, if driving x amount of hours is worth it for a beer you may or may have not hand.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.