1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Heat" character in homebrew...

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by longbongsilver, May 10, 2012.

1. I've noticed sometimes in my creations, both when I was starting out w/ strictly extract & now when I'm incorporating my own grains and hops, the resulting brew has a characteristic that comes off like warmth, but not from alcohol strength (I notice it whether the resulting brew is 10% or 6% ABV). What causes that? Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. That's why I'd like to know where that comes from, so I can control when it appears.
  2. scoppi

scoppi Aficionado (110) Michigan Sep 27, 2008

To me that sounds like fusel alcohols created from too high of temperatures during fermentation. Do you control fermentation temps at all, or do you know how warm the beer gets while fermenting?
    dpjosuns likes this.
  3. Beejay

Beejay Savant (495) Virginia Dec 29, 2008

Exactly what I was going to say.
  4. I ferment at room temp, tbh. Don't have any means of controlling further than the air conditioning. Would love to be able to exactly control it, but AFAIK that costs money I don't have.
  5. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

That's probably it. I'm pretty limited in what I can do too, I feel your pain. Are you using a typical 5 gallon carboy or bucket? If so, get a bin of some kind that it will fit in and put water in the bin that's around 65 degrees. If you need to add ice from the freezer or cold water or freeze some 2 liters and add to the water. It's a completely jank-ass system, but its better than fusely beers, IMO. Not too difficult either.
  6. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

This is what I do. I also wrap a damp towel around the bucket with a fan blowing at it. The same recipes taste much better with temp control.
  7. What exactly is room temp? Also forgive me that I don't understand tbh or afaik.. It's a good idea to find out what the temperature range of the yeast you're using is good for. Also, if you can keep your fermentation location in a place where temperature won't fluctuate more than 4 degrees F. I like to keep a notebook to record mash temps, PH, mash/boil times/temps, ferm temps (stick on fermometer strip on fermentation vessel), OG,FG. It helps when you need to troubleshoot problems, or want to replicate successes. There are some real sharpies on this site who are always willing to share their knowledge, and your notes will provide someone with a trail of breadcrumbs to pin point issues. Brewing is fun, but an investment in both time n money, this site will certainly shorten the learning curve.
  8. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

TBH= to be honest
    AFAIK= as far as I know

Gotta love internet forum slang....
  9. 68-74, unless my thermostat is off-kilter. These are all ales I'm doing, btw. Fermenters are two Mr Beer kegs, I keep 'em in my walk-in pantry in the corners so light doesn't get in when I open the door.

I've been checking wort temp with a candy thermometer.
  10. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Yikes. 74F could result in wort at 80-ish at high krausen. Basically you'd be making rocket fuel with most yeast strains.
    OddNotion likes this.
  11. You mean it goes UP to that even if the thermometer is giving me 60s range prior to adding yeast?

I should probably clarify: the thermostat I'm referring to is on my heat/AC unit. It's saying what temperature my apartment is, the thermometer I use for the beer I don't reinsert once fermentation has started because I don't want to contaminate it.
  12. Did some searching & from the sounds of it, as well as allowing the temperature to get too high during fermentation I compounded the issue in my most recent batch by not cooling the wort fast enough in the first place.
  13. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Yes, if your apartment is at 'X' degrees F, your wort will come up to apartment temperature, and then it can go higher (X+5 or X+6 possibly) due to the fermentation, which is an exothermic process. This all depends on the timing, how much difference there was between room temp and wort temp when you pitched, how fast the yeast took off at the lower temp vs. how fast the wort is coming up to room temp, etc.

But the bottom line is that just pitching into cool wort is not reliable temperature control.
  14. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (475) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Get a stick on thermometer strip for all of your fermenters. It will give you a somewhat close idea to what temperature your beer is at, and use the water in a plastic bin with frozen water bottles. Cheap and effective. I used to use that method before I got my temp controlled fridge.
  15. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (320) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Simple solution:
    Two ice chest coolers large enough to hold MrB's LBK.
    You'lll also need freeze 8...22-oz plastic bottles 'filled' with water.

---
    Start your fermentation with two frozen bottles per cooler...swap out bottles a time or two...then let the LBK free-rise to room-temperature.

Get and then set a cheap digi-thermometer on the fermentor's lid.
    Aim for L60s until the yeast settles down.
  16. FatSean

FatSean Savant (255) Connecticut Jul 4, 2006

I'll just chime in and say I do the water bath with frozen bottles of water too. Works well but you really need to keep an eye on it the first day or two after fermentation. Don't want to go to work and come home to find high krausen at 75F temps!

If you don't have one, get a stick on thermometer for your fermenter. They're only a few bucks and I've found them to be accurate enough to get good beer.