1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hefe head retention

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ifnkovhg, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Savant (260) California Aug 12, 2008

Hey. I just poured an Ayinger Brau-Weisse, and the head struck me as more saison-like: fizzy as opposed to foamy, audible, and it disappears very quickly. Does that mean the beer's past its prime? It tastes fine, but I can't say that my taste-memory is very good. Thanks!

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

likely your glass was less than ideal.

3. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Savant (260) California Aug 12, 2008

It was a clean pint glass that went through the washer the day before. Thanks for your input. Appreciate it!

4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (630) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

That's one reason why I usually go with Franziskaner.

5. omgshesaboy

omgshesaboy Zealot (90) Ohio Jul 19, 2010

Ideally you should hand wash your beer glasses...even the dish washer can leave residue on them, and head retention can be effected in a negative manner. I can't recall if Ayinger dates their bottles, but I suppose it could have also been the age of the beer. If it was an old bottle it probably would have tasted "off".

6. Haven't had the Ayinger yet but most German hefe's I've had tend to have pretty bubbly heads. Sometimes messy ones depending on the pour but there's exceptions. If it tastes good I wouldn't worry about it.