1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hellshire III.....rest easy. It's all good.

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by OakshireMatt, Feb 11, 2013.

1. OakshireMatt

OakshireMatt Member

I just wanted to pop in and give you an update on the Hellshire III Release. We sent bottles to Widmer Brewing for some extensive testing and have been told that everything is clean. No issues with this release. It was also measured at 8.69% and 35 ibus, if you care. I drank one Friday and it's definitely ready to crack and drink now.
    Hellshire III is a foreign style/export stout aged for one year in Heaven Hill Bourbon Barrels.
    I hope you'll join us at 10AM on Saturday at the brewery. We'll also be selling 36 bottles of Hell I, 36 bottles of Framboise, 20 or so cases of "6", Brandy barrel aged barleywine, and a few cases of big black. Plus, we have some great vintage beers on tap inside and outside. Live local music starts at noon and Delecata will be rocking the Southern Style Cuisine. See you Saturday.
    Cheers!
    Matt
  2. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Member

Had a sample of this while on a beer tour and thought it was great. I will sadly miss the release as I will be at work. Good luck at the release!
  3. draheim

draheim Member

Proactive! I like. Hopefully a few bottles will find their way to Seattle distribution. I'll give the series another shot.
  4. oregone

oregone Member

Sounds good.
    I think it's commendable the lengths you've gone to ensure a quality product gets to your consumers.
    Sad that I'll miss this. Already have reservations and such in Astoria. Brandy barrel Barleywine also sounds awesome. :(
    Hope the release is a good one.
  5. honkduh

honkduh Member

Dark arts?
  6. oregone

oregone Member

Yup.
  7. honkduh

honkduh Member

Me too! Pretty good list this year.
  8. oregone

oregone Member

Yeah. Super excited.
  9. OakshireMatt

OakshireMatt Member

If you are coming to Eugene, the Draft List for Hellshire Day looks like this.

Outside:
    Hellshire III
    Pinot Barrel Aged Collaborative Evil 2009
    6, Brandy Barrel Aged Barleywine
    Rye Whiskey aged Very Ill Tempered Gnome
    Oraz Burton Imp. stout
    Ol' 2 Planker Barleywine

Inside:
    Hellshire III
    Nitro Overcast
    Verbleek Belgian Pale
    Henry the 12th red Ale
    KLCC Contribution Porter
    Frogs Wort
    Watershed IPA
    Oakshire Amber
    Overcast Espresso Stout
    O'Dark:30

Bottles include:
    Hellshire I (36) limit 1
    Frmaboise (36) limit 1
    6 (20 cases)
    Big Black Jack (20 cases)

Hope you can make it.
    Matt
  10. johnmichaelsen

johnmichaelsen BA Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunatley, I won't be able to make it down for the Saturday release. Any word on distribution of Hellshire III in PDX? In the past I had no problem finding Hellshire I in and around PDX... hopefully the same will be true of Hellshire III.
  11. OakshireMatt

OakshireMatt Member

My hope is that the 140 cases we put out on Saturday are gone before we close that day at 5. We have never run out before, so there's no telling if this will be the same or not. In the past we saved some for PDX and Seattle (but we had 220 cases for II). If I have even 60 cases left after Sat, it's hard to tell the whole city of PDX and Seattle they get 30 cases. imagine the distributors concern on allocating one case to Belmont Station or Full Throttle Bottles or something like that. We'll let you know on Monday.
    1st Dibs is those who decided to blow of some other event to drive to Eugene. 2nd dibs is Eugene and Corvallis who visit us regularly. Beyond that, we'll do the best we can. the opening of our new tasting room means more barrel aging space her at the brewery.
  12. johnmichaelsen

Thank you.

I'll actually be down in Eugene this Tuesday, looking for a new home and visiting my new office. Is there any place I could go to find a bottle or two while I'm down in Eugene this Tuesday?
  13. Reino

Reino Member

Drank a Hellshire I last night and it's drinking quite nice. Looking forward to some III, Matt!
  14. OakshireMatt

OakshireMatt Member

@johnmichaelsen your best bet is our tasting room 3-6. I dont know if well have enough to distribute. It might run out.
  15. johnmichaelsen

Are you guys open then? I'd happily stop by, but the website indicates you're only open Friday and Saturday.
  16. PaulStoneAnchor

PaulStoneAnchor Member

Hey Matt, I am coming up two weeks from today, is there any possibility of there being any Hellshire left? ;)
  17. LiquidAmber

LiquidAmber Member

Oakshire Matt: Please remember that we Washingtonians got Hellshire II and were cheerful about it. Please reward us with a few IIIs! One case distribution to local stores is not that unusual any more; at least three of the last five beers I bought were single case per store distribution. The stores are careful about distribution from what I've seen. I'd like to give Hellshire another shot. Of course if it's all gone after your event, that's all a moot point.
  18. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Member

Can trade in my IIs?
    NWer likes this.
  19. NWer

NWer Member

I wish. I choked mine down. It takes a lot for me to drain pour. Sometimes I'm just into ritual abuse.
  20. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Member

^^ I brought mine to the South Sound Sour Soiree, misery loves company
  21. johnmichaelsen

I spoke to one of the guys at 16 tons yesterday (who went to the release), and he indicated the release event wasn't as well attended as he thought it would be, and that he didn't think the brewery came close to selling out of it. He's was optimistic that his store would get some, so maybe that bodes well for seeing this beer distributed outside of Eugene.
  22. postymcposterton

postymcposterton Member

Twas a great release party! Good job, Matt & Jeff and all the other brewers and staff at Oakshire!

~Dan
  23. guajolote

guajolote Member

Some of the pics I saw from the event seem to back that up. After all, in addition to the III release, Zwicklemania and Festival of Dark Arts also happened on Saturday. Oregon is so awesome.