1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Help! Any crazy spring beer festivals in Boston?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by atomeyes, Nov 27, 2012.

1. hey,
    sorry for not using my google-fu for this, but i'm about to leave the house and in panic mode.

there's a crazy seat sale from Toronto to Boston. flights are from now until the end of June. sale ends in 2 days.

Wondering if there's anything crazy coming up in Boston between now and then. thanks.

2. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (315) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

Yuuuup, the Extreme Beer Fest...haha

3. EBF is sold out.

The American Craft Brewers Fest is May 31-June 1 next year. That's probably the best fest to go to in the time frame you're looking at.

4. kinopio

kinopio Savant (375) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

I would do the American Craft Brew Fest. Always a ton of great stuff there and there will be some cool events the week leading up to it for Boston Beer Week.

Auror likes this.
  5. when you say "ton of great stuff", what do you mean?
    keep in mind that, in Toronto, we have 1 amazing beer festival each year, and a lot of meh ones. and when i say "meh", i mean "beer that you would see on tv commercials" meh.

I love my funk/brett/sour beer or anything in barrels. if ACBF is like that, let me know. please.

6. i've been the past 2 years and had a great time at both fests. well over a hundred breweries represented, from the big national breweries to small local/regional guys, even some that don't distribute here. some highlights for me were surly ('11, don't think they made it this past year), goose island (mostly due to BCBVS and BCBCS), lawsons, CBC, and about fifty others i'm forgetting. good amount of barrel aged stuff and a variety of styles.

7. A partial list of the non-shelf beers I had at ACBF 2012:
    Lawson's Finest Maple Tripple
    Lawson's Finest Double Sunshine
    Allagash Peeterman
    Allagash Blonde
    Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous (Double Dry Hopped)
    Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti
    Avery Uncle Jacob's
    Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout

Probably well over 75% of what's at ACBF is shelf beer here in Boston. It's fun - and it's so much bigger than any other fest I've ever been to, just the sheer volume of stuff to try is awesome - but I don't think I'll go again. Really glad I went once though.

8. The real key is that it's also Boston Beer Week so there will probably be events going on at the local bars and such, even if the festival isn't mind-blowing. BA always has a pre-night party at a rotating bar with some good stuff on tap.

The other option, and unfortunately the info hasn't been established yet, but it was hoped that The Festival would return again to Worcester (a bit outside Boston, but in a close enough range) this year. It was held last year in late June, and it was awesome. No word on this year, though.

Jnorton00 likes this.
  9. ACBF is mostly crazy sourz and whalez... :)

10. kinopio

kinopio Savant (375) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

Last year I would say there were about at least a dozen different sour/brett beers from the likes of Cambridge Brewing, Duck Rabbit, Boulevard etc. This is my favorite style and I definitely got my sour fix.

Barrel aged stuff from Goose Island, Lawsons, Mystic and many more than I could possibly remember.

I think there were 550+ beers and none of them you would see on tv commercials.