1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Help Expanding Horizons

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Like many craft newbies, I really enjoy anything malty and dark (but not particularly the super dark, like porters). Especially Doppelbocks, Belgian Ales...
    One of the few hoppy beers I've enjoyed was 60 Minute IPA. that kinda got me venturing out.
    I'd like to venture out, but do it gradually.

So with my taste in mind, what are some good beers to ease into a different style?

2. Nothing against you trying to get help, but I feel like threads like these will only confuse you more. When I was first starting out I would just try stuff from breweries I'd heard of. Like, "oh hey, I liked DF 60 min IPA. Maybe next I'll try this one called 90 min. Or this Lagunitas Hop Stoopid IPA or maybe even this Sierra Nevada Torpedo." And then eventually it'd be like "hm I see this Firestone Walker stuff pretty regularly, I'll try one of theirs." It's really not that complicated. Just try new shit. I dk. It certainly worked for me.

EDIT: plus, there's an element of excitement in buying something blindly. I sometimes wish I could go back to where you are now. Every bottle is new and exciting. Enjoy yourself! It's only beer.

3. I totally agree with mikeburd1128 on this one and he pretty much stated exactly what I would have about the excitement of buying something blind. Most times I won't though. I try to go into the store with a game plan on what I am going to purchase so I am not wandering around blindly.
    However, I would say purchasing a mixed case by a brewery works best: Avery, Smuttynose, etc. Or just try a mix-a-six works just as well.

jcreegan likes this.
  4. Find a place that let's you make mixed sixes and try away.

I also suggest trying mixed 12 PAcks from good brewers

lostandwandering likes this.
  5. Find a really good beer bar, go with a few people and order several tasters. You will be surprised how different certain brewers take on a style can be. I have found that once i was hooked onto a certain variation, it has become easier to love a style in general.

6. I started with brewers packs; I feel it helped me expand my palate quickly.

7. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I rarely have a plan when I go shopping, but I have started to buy from breweries where I liked what I tried first. So for instance I have slowly worked through Dogfish Head, Victory, Boulevard. Then I will grab a few things I know I like as "staples", then something new from a brewery I like, then some totally random stuff or a style i dont know to keep that excitement alive. Traveling for work, I look for the locals.

And I agree that this thread could get very confusing and become information overload. I will say you have to keep an open mind and be willing to try things more than once, use the reviews as guidelines and not gospel. i find the written much more useful than the numbers. But keep an open mind...My first IPA was as near a drain pour as I ever get, now I understand the style better. If I had tried Stone Ruination first, I probably would never have tried another IPA and Ruination is a fave now.I think you really have to find an exploration mentality that works for you. There is no one path.

Tastings are useful too. Went to one DFH and cheese tasting...beers and cheeses I didn't like alone actually played well together. Got me to eat goat cheese without whining...that is an accomplishment!

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  8. Personally, I mostly just explored a few breweries offerings as much as possible as well as a few others that caught my eye along the way. Just pick up 8-10 bottles of various IPAs that look appealing to you and a few more intense IPAS such as 90 minute, Hercules Double IPA, Hoptimum. Invite a few friends over and try them all.

9. Try an Anchor Steam.