1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Help for some Canadians coming to Portland

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Mbraun, Feb 27, 2013.

1. I'm coming down later this year with some buddies of mine from Canada and I'm just trying to pick some peoples brains. I've got a pretty good handle on the breweries but was wondering about food and beer stores in Portland. I there anything beer wise i shouldn't miss?

2. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

Hello my northernly brother. This is probably the best source for things to do.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-portland-update-feb-23rd.71128/#post-999792

I personally prefer beermongers as those guys are super chill and have the best prices. Across the street is Apex who almost always has something good on (pro tip: Apex is cash only). I would recommend hitting up one of the food cart pods, lots of variety to choose from. Also, go to Hair of the Dog, grab some beers and order the brisket.

Cheers!

3. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Trade your Cantillon with me.

Sarlacc83, kscaldef and hopsbreath like this.
  4. Where in Canada you coming from? Driving/Flying? Makes a big diff if you have a nice big car to fill up with bottles :D

5. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (550) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Until you get to the border and have to pay a tax if you go over the allotment....

6. Considering what American beer costs up here it still ends up being cheaper most of the time, in BC at least...

7. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (550) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Another solution I suppose would be to ship back a box of beer. Or if you are feeling lucky, just don't claim it at the border. I have Nexus, so I rarely get pulled in for inspection. I also don't bring much beer into Canada, I bring Canadian beer back. Helps if you know the guards too ;)

8. Ya we are diving and I have no issues paying extra duty if it's stuff i cant get here in Sask.
    I do have a collection of Cantillon I'd be willing to part :p

9. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I have many things in my fridge of wonders. BM me.