1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Help Getting in to Sours/Wild Ales

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lognar, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Lognar

Lognar Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 10, 2012

I am interested in sours/wild ales. I have never had one and I am curious. The discovery aspect is what I have come to love most about craft in the year and a half I've been into it. The closest I've gotten to the funky side of things is probably Boulevard Saison Brett and I absolutely loved that brew.

I'm looking for some help finding some decent sours/wild ales to introduce me to the style AND that are easily obtained without trading (I have not the deep pockets nor the cellar to hunt whales). BA Ratings give an idea of what is good, but not availability (I know well enough that Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen are beyond my reach). And, I don't even know if "easily obtained" and "decent" go together when it comes to sours/wild ales/lambics/oud bruins.

I'm out in the SW Chicago burbs to give an idea of the distribution area I'm in.

I'm not necessarily looking for the best or anything, just what you all would recommend to someone new. And if I shouldn't bother if I can't get the top notch brews, please say so. Cheers!

2. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Saison Brett, while not really a sour or wild, is excellent and a great start.

I would recommend any of the New Belgium Lips of Faith sours. They are world class in my opinion but very approachable.

Lognar and mkennedy119 like this.
  3. Liefmans Cuvée Brut. NB Lips of Faith sours. Especially Tart Lychee. Go to a bottle share. Take something dope and I'm sure someone will take a sour you can try in a small sample. Or trade 3Floyds for RR Sours easily

Lognar likes this.
  4. Rodenbach, Duchess De Bourgogne, Petrus, Lindman's Cuvee Rene are all easy to find in my area. I like all of them, and they won't kill the bank account.

5. mkennedy119

mkennedy119 Savant (350) Illinois Nov 13, 2011

I'd suggest Monk's Cafe to anyone looking for a springboard. Definitely not the best by any means, but it will give you a decent idea of what a sour can lead to.

Lognar likes this.
  6. jmarce

jmarce Savant (320) Connecticut May 15, 2011

GI Juliet, Lolita, Madame Rose
    Tilquin Oude Gueuze is excellent and generally much easier to find than Cantillon/3F
    Lindeman's Cuvee Rene if you want a solid, easy to find and relatively cheap gueuze to try the style.

alelover, Lognar and Callmecoon like this.
  7. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (460) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

+1 To Juliet, Madame Rose and Lolita

Also Jolly Pumpkin La Roja

alelover, Lognar and rolandboy like this.
  8. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

I'm not into sours, but enjoy drinking Monks Cafe Flemish Sour Ale. Also, Dissident wasn't so bad for a starter.

Lognar likes this.
  9. find the duchess! she wants you

Lognar likes this.
  10. Cuvee Rene
    RR Sours if they are in your are

Lognar likes this.
  11. Lognar

Lognar Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 10, 2012

Wow, thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it. You've given me a great start. Keep em coming!

And, Tut2528 I don't know if you were aware but we have mutual acquaintances in Sleuthdog and WoodJJacct. They are the reason craft became a hobby for me instead of a passing curiosity.

12. sweemzander

sweemzander Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 26, 2009

Imstillthegman and Lognar like this.
  13. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

I don't know specifically what beers are distributed in your area, but I would recommend flemish reds. They're on the lighter side of sours I think. Previously I didn't like sours at all, but I do like flemish reds and I think they're helping me develope a taste and appreciate sours more.

Edit: replace all "flemish" with "Flanders". Stupid phone! Lol

arcook11 and Lognar like this.
  14. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Liefman's Goudenband is a favorite of mine and pretty easily had.

Lognar likes this.
  15. arcook11

arcook11 Aficionado (195) Missouri Nov 27, 2010

I Agree with djaeon. Your local Two Brothers Askew is a good example.

Find a CO trader and get Consecration, Supplication, The Meddler, Friek, la Folie, and Le Terroir. I wish I had this box on the way to me right now. Juliet is good but the GI sours are over priced.

Geueze are too much funk for me at this point in my craft career. I just get burning tires and dirt, which I have yet to find enjoyable. My favorite Brett is Boulevard Saison-Brett. And a nice easy to find Brett is Green Flash Rayon Vert.

Lognar likes this.
  16. One of the first sours that got me going was this little guy after my fiancé snagged a bottle at our favorite bottle shop for me to buy it for her. Pretty tasty, should be relatively easy to find (it's always on the shelf here).

Lognar likes this.
  17. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

La Roja - Jolly Pumpkin
    Cuvee De Tomme - Lost Abbey
    Oude Tart - The Bruery
    Rueuze - The Bruery
    Dissident - Deschutes
    Lips of Faith (Le Terroir) - New Belgium
    Lips of Faith (Le Folie) - New Belgium
    Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait - Brouwerij Boon
    Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne - Gueuzerie Tilquin
    Cuvée René - Brouwerij Lindemans

Lognar likes this.
  18. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

I will second the Liefmans suggestions. Cuvee Brut and Goudenband are both fantastic, and they can be had for 8.99-9.99 usually for a 750 cork and caged bottle.

Also, many of the other suggestions are good, such as New Belgium Lips of Faith La Folie, JP La Roja (pretty much any JP is good from my experience), Boon Mariage Parfait Kriek (didn't care for the Geuze that much, and I like Geuze), Two Brothers Askew is good, Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge is fantastic. And the Goose Island Lolita is freaking delicious.

So many good ideas in this thread, making me thirsty.

Lognar likes this.
  19. These are great entry sours also if you can RR where you live those are on par with the best from Belgium but way more sour.

20. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Cuvee de Tomme is on shelves in Chicago?

21. AxesandAnchors

Oops, yeah that one is at the brewery only...my bad

22. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

As I would recommend for any style, just buy and try. It's more fun to steer your own ship of discovery than have some so-called veterans tell you where to sail. If that doesn't fit your fancy, go to the best of lists and determine what is in your area of distribution - or even better yet, comb your local beer stores and have fun.

I don't think sour ales are an overly acquired taste. They're sharp, bright and flavorful.

23. Agrred! Flanders reds were my breakthrough as well. Lost Abbey's Red Poppy still is one of my all-time favorites

24. Most Walgreens in Suburban Chicago have Cantillon.

[​IMG]

25. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

111 S. Halsted is definitely not in the suburbs.

26. Madskill

Madskill Savant (255) California Nov 25, 2012

My first sour was Supplication. I thought it was very different but at the same time very tasty, I have never encountered anything like it before.

27. AxesandAnchors

Chicago doesn't get Russian River, but he should definitely trade for them

28. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

I thought it was terribly one note on the acidity, honestly it offered nothing else to the palate. Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge or Rodenbach Grand Cru are both hands down better and are cheaper overall.

Personal opinion, bear in mind.

29. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I know they aren't sours, but sofie and matilda both bring the brett to the party. Also keep an eye out for avery barrel ged sours. Oud floris, odio equum and muscat d'amour are all amazing.

30. How does your Walgreens carry Cantillon?

31. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Damn, my Walgreens only carries:
    [​IMG]

32. I got into sours with Flanders reds like Rodenbach and Duchesse de Borgogne. Both easily found anywhere.

33. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

This thread just got so annoying... Now I am off to Walgreens. It is freezing in NY today. I have a feeling the closest thing they will have to Cantillon is fermented Motts apple juice.

Torieos and Horbar like this.