1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Help! I think I'm a complex-aholic!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mychalg9, Dec 27, 2012.

1. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Lately I have had an ever increasing taste for extreme complexiousness (yeah I know the word is complexity but this is too extreme!), so much so that I have a hard time imagining drinking any kind of "simple" beer. I assume others may "suffer" from this affliction as well. Can anyone suggest something simple that might snap me back into reality?
  2. Daemose

Daemose Savant (440) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout
  3. You're not suffering anything. You're just seeing the light. Give me a ring when you start appreciating Old English 800 3.2 or Busch Light and then we'll talk.
    DonDirkA likes this.
  4. Boston Lager. Or stop being a d-bag.

"I have a hard time imagining drinking any kind of "simple" beer." Talk about first world problems.
  5. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Lol relax dude... breathe...

I was at a hotel last night and the best thing they had was FW IPA, It tasted awesome! So did boston lager, SN PA, and even Blue Moon. I quarentee you snap out of it OP, when your forced to make do with what's available.
  6. Slam back a case of bud light tonight to recalibrate. Then tomorrow crack an SNPA or something similar... it'll taste great.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I pretty much have a similar problem, when people ask what styles I like when I am done telling them I think to myself they are all big bold beers, DIPAs, RISs, BBAed beers, Barleywines, sours etc. I don't think I ever mention the lighter styles.

I mean on occasion I will drink session style beers, like just last night I really liked Gumballhead, but more often than not, I want to be kicked in the face with flavor.
  8. $20 says OP started this thread over McDonald's fries and a Pepsi.
  9. This is a problem with the American palate overall. We equate bigger with better. It's why every single list of "best beers" is dominated by those with the highest ABV or bigger, boldest flavor profile. It's why our food is simultaneously the sweetest and saltiest across the board. It's just the way it is.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

ABV doesn't equate to flavor, I agree with that, take lambics and gueuze for instance, usually low in alcohol but packed to the brim with flavor. I don't think there is anything wrong with preferring more flavorful beers.
    AxesandAnchors likes this.
  11. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I have the same kind of problem. Mine kind of comes from the cost of good beer though. If I'm spending the amount of money that craft costs, I always want to try something new. And at this point in my beer drinking career "something new" usually equates to something complex. Occasionally I'll drink something kind of simple, like an IPA, but even then it has to be a bold IPA. I used to love Deschutes Inversion and Mirror Pond, SNPA, Full Sail Pale Ale, etc, etc but now they just make me go :confused:. For me, these days, "basic" beer would be a black IPA, which is still much more complex than a basic IPA. I'm with Hanzo though, if someone asks my favorite style my response is always imperial stouts, barrel-aged beers, etc. I love getting the most bang for my buck (and I don't mean ABV-wise). I like it when I can sit and sip and explore the flavors, the ins and outs and complexity. So I'm with you OP.
  12. Complex does not equate to better beer.

You can stick a turd and a handful of cheetos on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to make it more complex, but I'd prefer the plain version that tastes good.
  13. Mix a cantillon lambic, a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout, and a really hoppy DIPA and see if you can handle the complexity
    onefalsemove711, luwak and beertunes like this.
  14. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Is that turd barrel-aged though?
  15. wrycon

wrycon Savant (270) Minnesota Apr 22, 2009

Hmmm, did he get fries at McDonald's and then go buy a Pepsi at, say, Taco Bell?

If so, that reeks of complexion.
  16. MeadGuyfromMD

MeadGuyfromMD Savant (260) Maryland May 23, 2007

I am kind of the same way, but lately Boston Lager has been tasting delicious. Also, a session beer that is fantastic is Sun King Osiris Pale Ale at only 5.6% abv
  17. i thought going to a heady topper and than a bcbs was taking simple lol
  18. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I'm into "good".
  19. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I love when people know what fast food chain carries what popular soda brand. Warms my heart. It does.
    gpawned, DonDirkA and Vonerichs like this.
  20. Haha. Shows how often I indulge in either.
  21. DonDirkA

You prefer to just eat turds?...
    Gregfalone, FarmerTed and krl2112 like this.
  22. No I avoid PBR, thanks.
    DonDirkA likes this.
  23. This doesn't sound like a problem to me at all; if you want more complexity, there's nothing wrong with that, I would think that going for more Coors Lite would be a bigger problem.
    DonDirkA likes this.
  24. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

Don't forget where u came from. Remember ur roots!! Mine were college with Keystone baby!
    CloudStrife likes this.
  25. Is this Shooter McGavin?
    Providence, DonDirkA and tjensen3618 like this.
  26. DonDirkA

I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast!
    You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?
    ...No..
    Providence likes this.
  27. Exactly what I was thinking.!!
  28. I would highly disagree with this statement in general. Ever had Foie gras or mexican candy? I would argue that there are more additives in our food, but flavor wise I actually think American food is bland and tasteless in comparison to many other cultures. And that's ok, because I detest bland food. American beer until recently was in fact on average, VERY bland. The craft boom seemed to change that for the better, but if you ask me, in many regards, the ideas were actually borne from the love of foreign beer.

29. pretty much just that.
  30. If you can smell a horse taking a healthy shit, that's all the complexity you need.
  31. That's why I live on a farm, I just drink miller ice and smell/lick them sought after blankets....
    BobZ, DonDirkA and franklinn like this.
  32. To me "simple" beer does equate "bland" beer.

I also have started to enjoy stronger flavoured beers more often (RIS, barrel aged & strong Belgians in particular) but I still regularly enjoy simpler styles such as a Pislner , Pale Ale, Porter or Stout.
  33. No but American Adjunct lagers which dominate the macro market IMO are bland beers! When you consider light beer is not brewed that way, and is american adjunct lager cut with more water, it speaks volumes. I am by no way defacing traditional style lagers or pilsners. I personally do not consider pale ales, porters or stouts, to even be simple beers!
  34. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

brb....
    Stinkypuss likes this.
  35. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

I think you're somewhat missing the point of what he's saying. Most americans equate HFCS and salt with flavorful. An appreciator of food will like something like a delicate salad over pre-made salty french fries, but to the "average american" the salad is boring and the salt is "flavorful"

He's saying the same thing goes for the american beer palate, which I agree with to some extent, though on the flip side many of those huge beers also offer serious complexity. As complex as a sour ale barrel-aged over fruit, coffee and cocoa nibs, dry hopped and bottle conditioned with maple syrup and brettanomyces? Maybe not. But maybe?
  36. YogiBeer

Our food is the sweetest because the AG companies make shitloads of corn syrup, and own/put it in everything.
    franklinn likes this.
  37. You won't get an argument from me that the most of the mass produced North American lagers are quite bland. I found them bland before discovering craft beer. I used to not like beer because of that stuff.
  38. YogiBeer

EVER WONDER WHY THE HIGHEST SELLING BEERS ARE FULL OF CORN!??!!??!?!!?
    franklinn likes this.
  39. And this is scary because most corn is GMO.
  40. YogiBeer

And also that the owners of the GMo patents sue the shit out of farmers for all of their land if ANY of their plants are found on the property... even ones blown onto the property by the wind.... The other really nice part is that the gmo plants are modified to resist the chemicals (literally agent orange) that the corn companies also make and sell, so once you use the modified plants and the chemicals once, nothing else will grow on the land... except the modified plants. MAN, GIMME A BUD LIGHT.
    devlishdamsel likes this.