1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Help in Portland/Vancouver area.

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by ColinStClaire, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Hey Beerdos,
    I've been honorably charged as the bringer of beer at my family's thanksgiving down in the Sacramento area. I won't have time to hit up a Bevmo down there, so I need to buy it here and drive it. So, I need some place recommendations in the Vancouver/Portland area for good beer on a somewhat tight budget. Also, some recommendations on which beers would be helpful too. I was thinking something mellow and malty as the main beer, like an amber, then a few bombers or 4/6 packs of something a little more hefty ie some nice (but inexpensive!) imperials or just meaty ipa's and stouts. Thanks!

2. i would think the full range of upright beers would be nice with thanksgiving dinner. provides for a bit of variety. cant go wrong with abyss for a stout, which is coming out this week i believe, not sure when it will hit shelves though.

I would go to belmont station. they can be pretty good at recommending beers and have an excellent selection

3. I was planning on one or two of the abyss, but I'm on a budget, and while I looooooove Belmont station, they aren't the cheapest place to buy beer. Also, not everyone there is a huge beer person. I mean not everyone at thanksgiving isn't.

4. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

How about some growlers of Engelberg Pilsner from Upright? great price, something for everyone and delicious

hopsbreath likes this.

5. now were thinking. should stop by hotd and get a growler of adam too. nwliquidgold in vancouver is a good place to get growlers filled if you're going that route. they also have a decent bottle selection.

6. Cool thanks guys. I just found out too that there will only be between 4 and 5 beer drinkers there so I have more wiggle room on high end stuff. Probably only me and my sister drinking the really good shit and everyone else drinking whatever there is.

7. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Consider some growlers from Occidental in St Johns too. Just $8 a 64 ouncer on Wednesday but I'm not sure if they're open the day before Thanksgiving. It's worth checking ahead. Limited selection but the alt or dunkel would pair well with a traditional Thanksgiving meal IMO. Too bad their dopplebock won't be ready by then as I think that would be great for after dinner, but dunkelweizen is full, malty, and has fantastic banana/clove notes I'd argue are better than any other weizen in town. The aforementioned Engleberg pils and growler of Adam are excellent options as well and get two big thumbs up from me. You really can't go wrong with a growler of Adam!

8. Love Adam. It turns out there is a bevmo 5 minutes from my hotel down there so I may just do that.

9. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

I wouldn't buy growlers unless you have swing tops. Screw on tops would be totally flat by the time you got them to Sacramento.

10. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Not necessarily. I've had screw top growlers several months old that were still carbonated. It just takes a good firm screwing.

11. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

So many ineundos, and yes I agree on all accts