1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Help me drink my way through Belgium

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Jwale73, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (705) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Not sure if this is the right forum to post to or if this should be in the Benelux forum, but I will be in Belgium (Antwerp, Brussels, Esen) for 3 days in April (before moving on to Bamberg, Cologne and Dusseldorf) and need to figure out what I should seek out. My itinerary is pretty much set with planned stops at Kulminator, De Dolle, De Heeren Van Liedekerke, Chez Moeder Lambik (Fontainas) and Cantillon. Some things I plan to seek out (if they are even available) are Framboos, Millennium Geuze, Stille Nacht Riserva (I'd love to drink the 2000 again), Crianza Helena, J&J Roos/Blau, Fou' Foune (vintage) and Black Damnation IV. What am I missing? I pretty much enjoy all styles and feel like my list is heavy on sours (which is not a bad thing), but I don't want to pass up the opportunity to try some excellent Saisons, Belgian Strong Darks and Quads and vintage offerings of more commonly available beers.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

EnronCFO likes this.
  2. Dude...... Drink it all.
  3. Erzengel

Erzengel Aficionado (220) Germany Sep 8, 2008

Let me know if you need any infos on Cologne or Düsseldorf
  4. Wow, you want to get yourself some beers my friend! Most of them are almost impossible to get or only available with loads of money..... I think you mean you want to try the BD 5 from Struise, the 26 abv?

Have fun in Belgium!

Thijs
  5. Jwale73

Thanks Erzengel - I think you may know my friend Rian (aka Thirstybird) - he is going to be my Beer Sherpa on this journey of beer enlightenment :)
  6. Jwale73

I'm not planning on doing all of them - but just trying to put together a list so I can remember what I want to try. I have had the opportunity to try BD V which was very good indeed. Unfortunately, I can't make it to the Schoolhouse - it was either that or Kulminator, and I opted for Kulminator

Cheers.
  7. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (425) Belgium May 4, 2010

I would say forget about the SNR 2000
    Most of the others you might find at " in de verzekering tegen den grote dorst " ( also millenium geuze , take a big fat walket with you ;) ) only open on sunday fora few hours , chec there website !
    www.dorst.be
    and in de heeren van liedekercke
    http://www.heerenvanliedekercke.be/
    You might also chec out the shop from struise in Bruges and the old scool in Oostvleteren
    Also go to kulminator were you can try lots of vintage beers like SNR 2005 and also the " new " SNR 2010 ( 38 € )
    You can also go to de dolle in Esen , best is to go on a sunday , then they have an english tour , and there you can also try the SNR 2010 ,

Good luck and enjoy !
  8. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Hurray, someone's coming to exclusively drink our whales. How we can't wait to help you.
    beerpirates likes this.
  9. Jwale73

Hey, what can I say, I'm here to help ;) But, seriously, I would love to know some of the regional offerings that aren't wales, but are must trys. Trust me, my wallet isn't fat enough to get me through many of the ones I've listed. That said, I do plan on bringing over some bottles from the States to share - hopefully a bit of beer détente.
  10. Your list seems to be missing Jupiler.
  11. Jwale73

Oh, I didn't forget. I'm bringing an entire separate suitcase just for those alone.
  12. LBIsurf

LBIsurf Initiate (0) New Jersey Mar 17, 2009

And don't forget Cara Pils! ;)
  13. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

You'll have to keep track of your agenda. Patsy and I may look to do a Euro trip later this year. A few days in Paris and then onto Belgium. Nothing planned yet, just an idea. Have fun and say hi to Rian!
  14. Jwale73

Will do - let me know when you are in town again. Hopefully we can grab a beer.
  15. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

I'm still waiting for my bottle of Cantillon Goldackerl Gueuze.
  16. how about Jupiler Lite and Palm Extra Wild?
  17. WOAH THERE! Slow down, we must walk before we can run my friend.
  18. when i come to Belgium in May, i am definitely drinking with you.

and when you're drunk i'll steal your precious hidden beer stash of glory
  19. I won't be there but OK.
  20. ThirstyBird

ThirstyBird Savant (385) Germany Jan 17, 2007

Did you check out the De Heeren website?.....about $65 for a bottle of Crianza Helena and about $100 for the Roos or the Blauw to drink on premises......very expensive but it is available. Hopefully we get some tasty lambics on tap though!
    Jwale73 likes this.