1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Help me plan my Denver area trip

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by gawnphishin, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Hello Colorado BAs,

I am from Oklahoma, and I am planning a road trip to The denver area for new years. My friends know how much I love beer, and they all love it too so were going to try and hit some breweries and cool places to eat during the days. I have been given full planning authority. We are going to three shows while we are there:

Dec 29th: Dumpstaphunk/Pimps of Joytime @ Cervante's Masterpiece
    Dec 30th: The String Cheese Incident @ 1st Bank Center in Broomfield
    Dec 31st: The Motet @ the Fox Theater in Boulder

We are staying in downtown Denver the first night, and in Boulder the second two nights.

I would love some suggestions from the BA community as to where to go in the Denver/Boulder area. I know most of the bars and breweries and have been to quite a few, but I dont know the places with great food and great beer.

Also, is it worth it to go up to longmont for Left Hand or Oskar Blues?

Cheers
    R
  2. spoony

spoony Advocate (505) Colorado Aug 1, 2012

Denver dining suggestions: Falling Rock (good beer selection, but don't expect great food), Freshcraft (decent beer selection, decent food), Euclid Hall (decent beer selection, good food on the more expensive side), and Lucky Pie (decent beer selection, decent pizza). All are downtown and within walking distance of one-another.

Denver brewery suggestions: Prost (great German style brews a 15-minute walk (or 2-minute cab ride) from Union Station, downtown), Denver Beer Company (pretty good beer, fun atmosphere on a nice day, about 5-minute walk from Union Station), and Great Divide (great beers, close to downtown in the ballpark neighborhood north of Coors Field).

I'll let others chime in with more Boulder suggestions, but I dig Mountain Sun for the combination of food and beer quality. If you're looking to get classy (and sort of expensive), the the Kitchen Upstairs has great food and a decent beer selection.

Have a good trip!
  3. As for your Longmont question. OB's actual brewery (with the attached taproom, Tasty Weasel) is one of my favorite places to go, they usually have some variant of Ten Fidy, G'knight, or Gubna on, and they've done some expansion since I went last. Their restaurant, Liquids and Solids, is also really cool and they always have a good deal of guest taps and some OB gems you can't get at the Weasel. I don't know if Left Hand is a place that everybody really goes gaga over, but they usually have one or two interesting firkins or something on, and I love their patio in the summer.
  4. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Whatever you do, don't use the search function on this forum.
    coreymcafee likes this.
  5. Great deal, thank for the input. We will be hitting up OB for sure now.
  6. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Some of my favorite restaurants with great beer in Boulder (I don't like expensive/fancy restaurants):
    - Boulder Cafe: good local food with great beer specials
    - The Med: fancy but delicious, more wine than beer
    - Southern Sun: same as Mountain Sun but not nearly as crowded
    - Backcountry Pizza: pretty good pizza, amazing tap and bottle list with full beer cellar
    - Foolish Craigs: Go here for brunch... you're welcome

I tell everyone that comes to Boulder that you might as well go up to Nederland for lunch/dinner one day. It's a beautiful Mountain town and worth the drive. Check out Wild Mountain smoke house up there for their pretty good beers and incredible chicken wings.
  7. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

I do Boulder a lot, and can't go without hitting three spots. Each has good food and good beer:

West End Tavern: typical pub grub (tasty, but standard) and a huge, mixed tap and bottle list.
    The Kitchen: 3 restaurants in one, all top notch. The Pork Sandwich is a gastrointestinal mangasm.. Pretty good bottle list.
    Salt. Always something interesting in their beer list. Nice cheese and charcuterie trays. Duck flatbread is amazing.

All of those are on Pearl Street. Touristy? Yes. Enjoyable? Absolutely.

Also, make sure to hit Avery Brewing while in Boulder. In Ft Collins, don't miss O'Dell brewery. While downtown, don't miss Crooked Stave and Great Divide. And two blocks from Great Divide is a liquor store called Mr. B's that has an absolutely killer selection of craft beers. as mentioned before, Falling Rock and Fresh Craft are great Denver bars.
  8. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

"downtown" means "downtown Denver". Forgot a word there...
  9. Thanks for your recommendations guys. I cant wait for this adventure (said in a bilbo baggins voice.) The last question i have is: Is it worth it to go to Bull and Bush, and how is their food. Ive only had MAN BEER from them, but i really liked it.

cheers
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I believe what you meant to say was assbananas.