Help please - dry cork, pricy beer question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Cyclone8, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

I did an IP trade today for a very nice bottle of 3F gueuze. My plan was to cellar it for several years. On the way home, it left a small puddle on my passenger car seat:slight_frown: The bottle still looks full, and there is carbonation evident, but obviously the cork has dried enough for some to seep out.
    For those of you who have had experience with this - is the beer still age-able? Or should I drink it tonight?
    Is there a way to "re-expand" the cork, perhaps by soaking it (or should I just put it on its side until it is moist enough that it stops leaking??).
    I would be most grateful for any insight.

2. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

Any chance it was condensation rather than leakage?

Providence and Eriktheipaman like this.
  3. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

I don’t know about 3F but with Cantillon I think that’s a common occurrence with leaking corks

4. TheBeerBro

TheBeerBro Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Iowa

No experience with your particular situation, but I have an idea that may work.

Let the bottle sit in a tub of water (preferably upright if you have a big enough vessel). Hopefully the water will soak into the cork and expand. Although, I feel like this may only work temporarily. I would also try and keep your cellar humid.

Good luck, and cheers!

Cyclone8 likes this.
  5. Cyclone8

Trader

Lol. If I didn't know the difference between water and beer I would not be much of a craft beer drinker:wink:.

6. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

Okay, so there are a few different issues at play here...

First off, once a cork has dried out, it cannot be "re-hydrated", due to a breakdown in the cellular structure of the cork. If you try to do so, you will likely ruin (if you try and do it by submerging the bottle in water) or lose (if you try to set your bottle on its side) your gueuze.

But if I'm correct, 3F uses a champagne-style compressed cork & cage, which is different than your standard wine cork (or cork like Cantillon uses). Unlike regular corks, which rely on moisture to remain supple enough to fill the opening of a bottle and prevent seepage, C&C corks rely on compression (i.e., brute force) to get the cork small enough to fit in the bottle opening--this is why they have that distinctive flair/mushroom shape, because the compressed end of the cork is able to re-expand once it gets past the narrowest part of the bottle neck. The reason they use compressed cork is due to the highly carbonated nature of the beverage inside; the extra pressure of the cork attempting to re-expand to its original size against the sides of the bottleneck is necessary to combat the internal pressure of the bottle. Even then, the cage is added for extra pressure/security.

While a regular cork benefits from the moisture to keep it supple, that same moisture causes a compressed cork to lose elasticity, which can eventually allow air seepage (which in turn means that beer can get out, unfortunately).

If I had to guess, I would say your trading partner had stored that bottle of gueuze on its side already for long enough to create the seepage, rather than the cork being dry.

TL;DR - I would drink that gueuze as soon as you reasonably have a chance to do so if you want get maximum enjoyment out of it, rather than trying to fix the cork for aging.

mackeyse, dianimal, hopsputin and 5 others like this.
  7. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

In most cases, isn't it advised to try to keep the humidity level pretty low in a cellar? You know, store the beer in a cool, dry, and dark place?

8. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

If liquid can leak out of the bottle then air has most certainly leaked in and I would be concerned about the beer oxidizing. If there beer is compromised aging is just going to make it worse. I would drink it now. You can always make another trade or purchase, but there's no saving a beer once it has gone bad.

Providence and Loganyoung like this.
  9. TheBeerBro

TheBeerBro Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Iowa

You are absolutely right. I just figured since OP was worried about the cork being compressed, in my mind, humid moist air should help re-expand the cork. However, Lambic Pentameter squashed all that nonsense I was spewing.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  10. TillTheMedicineTakes

TillTheMedicineTakes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2014 Colorado

Drink it. I think it will be a pain in the ass otherwise trying to fix the situation, which might not work.
    Enjoy it!

11. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If liquid is out then air is in. If air is in, then the death of your beer has been hastened. Drink it tonight and enjoy yourself.

12. kevanb

kevanb Pooh-Bah (2,569) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I am in the camp of drink it

13. Cyclone8

Trader

I am grateful for the advice. My gut had said that I needed to drink it, but I REALLY wanted to figure out a way to store it for a major life event. But hey, it's a Wednesday, right? Sounds like it's time to drink me some Armand & Tommy.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  14. time4lunch

time4lunch Crusader (432) Aug 10, 2012 New Hampshire
    Trader

I say drink it. Btw, is this something rare and difficult to obtain? Just out of curiosity. Because if its regular geueze I would be happy to grab you a bottle next time im at a shop I occasionally go to

15. sweetcell

sweetcell Crusader (423) Dec 6, 2013 Maryland

so is the lesson here: store Cantillon on its side, but 3F upright? i have them all lying down in my cellar, but maybe i should stand up the Dries...

16. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Reorient your thinking. Tonight is a special major life event when you drink this excellent beer. It will make the entire day more special.

Ranbot, Cyclone8, Bitterbill and 5 others like this.
  17. MassiveBeerReviews

MassiveBeerReviews Crusader (402) Apr 12, 2012 New Jersey

No expertise in this avenue so I have no idea if it would actually work but what about wax dipping it?

18. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I think that generally, yes, that is a sound takeaway. Storing the Drie on its side for short periods of time probably won't have a terribly detrimental effect, but if you are storing for any length of time, I'd do it upright. And vice versa for Cantillon.

19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

I couldn't agree more.

20. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

That cork is never going to "get better". Just like with wine corks, they do tend to deteriorate, some more than others, and it may have to do with how it was "kept" before the trade. Either way, I'd advise drinking that one soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.