1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Help selecting good beers for bad beer drinkers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by captenaj, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold would be a good starter. Close in color to mass produced but with flavor. Red Seal got me into crafts. Maybe a bit hoppy for newbies but might surprise a few people.

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

All the bmc guys I have handed an ipa to always follow up with a "how do you drink this shit?". You want to ease someone in to craft? Start easy, wheats, pilsners, saisons maybe. Even Sofie can be overwhelming to a fresh pallate. My go to for introductions to craft is easy street wheat, funkwerks white, and even velvet merlin and left hand milk stout. Prior to bringing a stout out I always ask if they like coffee. The two seem to tie in. Also, I've turned some people on with odell's friek. But if you want to drive people off, i'd pick up a myrcenary or two and let them have it, maybe some double bastard while you're at it.

3. This one is a tough one to handle. To me it seems like BMC drinkers drink it for two reasons: either because they legitimately like it, in which case, why try to change them unless they express an interest in trying more? Alternatively, it's just an alcohol delivery vehicle - why on earth would they want to spend more money to accomplish that job?

If a friend expresses interest, then all bets are off! They tend to have tried a few imports at that point and you can try to understand if they like hop bitterness, a bit of sweetness, wheat flavored, etc. After that the exploration can begin. In my case I have to try and not get too geeky too quick. Why rush the fun of learning what's out there?

I agree with the poster who said to have BMC available, and then have a few gateway beers available (APA, hefeweizen, maybe a porter, ESB). If you see someone looking over the "fancy" beers, it might be a conversation starter.

4. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

A
    A kolsch in Winter is like a blowjob in church

5. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

I think Unibroue offers a variety of beers that appeal to people new to craft beer. Serve it in proper glassware with cheeses, fruits and crackers if you really want to impress them.

6. My line of thinking is that the beer noob doesn't really know what they like. They know adjunct filled American pale lager. They know malt beverages like Smirnoff Ice. And maybe they know Guinness. So just direct them to what is good and let them discover.

I mean, I started on DFH 90 and Storm King. My head certainly didn't explode. If they say, "Omg barf so bitter" or the like, tell them to stop being a pussy.

7. Honestly, it starts basic. If someone chooses to move on from there or not is completely on them. I got my start on basics like Magic Hat #9 and Sam Adams seasonals. You can't push something on someone if they plain-old just don't like it or care. I'd say something like a light stout, Maybe a Duck Rabbit Milk Stout or Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout. Oberon Ale, and maybe something a tad more adventorous but not too outragous. Maybe something like a Victory Hopdevil. Flying Dog Pale Ale or Sierra Nevade Pale Ale are nice baby steps that I feel are solid choices that won't hurt the wallet too much and have more taste than your average BMC. It starts small, and if they choose to venture out more after that, it's completely on them and out of your control.

8. Angst

Angst Aficionado (195) California Nov 8, 2007

Big Sky Moose Drool!

I've had multiple non craft beer drinkers comment how good it was. It's now my go to if I bring beer to a get together with bad beer drinkers. Also, as suggested in post above, Magic Hat #9 would probably be my #2. However, sometimes I just pick up a variety pack (New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, etc.). That way people have a little bit of a variety to choose from.

9. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Just buy a sixer of BMC to get the party going. Guests will want more beer after it is gone so have some ambers, lagers, and pale ales in the fridge. They will try at their own free will and may ask you more about them.

Some Lagers: Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold or New Glarus Spotted Cow

Angst and NickyDee21 like this.
  10. Dortmunder Gold is def a solid and not quite as abrasive to the BMC palate is Eliot Ness

11. A blow job in church > a guy that hustles pork BTW i drink Kolsch year round

12. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Good luck. I've tried many times to get my friends to drink "real" beer, but they won't drink anything that isn't Bud Light.