1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Help: shipping beer

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by jbravato, Sep 25, 2012.

1. jbravato

jbravato Zealot (75) Pennsylvania Nov 11, 2010

I am going to make my first shipment soon and I've never done it before! How does one go about successfully shipping beer? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Bubble rap and lots of it

3. JustinQ

JustinQ Savant (305) California Nov 24, 2011

4. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

If you aren't comfortable dropping it from waist height on to concrete then start over. Seriously.

5. jbravato

jbravato Zealot (75) Pennsylvania Nov 11, 2010

I was leaning more towards the actual shipping like weighing and printing labels and taking it to the shipping store!

6. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

Create an online account with FedEx or UPS. Measure the box, enter the dimensions and then either weigh or estimate the weight of the box. Print the shipping label, affix label, drop off package and done.

7. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Yeah, I should've made a Fed Ex acct from the beginning. You save a crapload.

8. Gcarns

Gcarns Aficionado (125) California Jul 21, 2010

Can anyone elaborate on this? I usually just drop it off to my local UPS store, but how does printing your own labels save you money?

9. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

If you set up an online account at FedEx you get 8% off ground shipments and 16% off express (someone please correct me if I'm wrong with my numbers) when you set up the shipping online and print the label from home.

10. Also, walking in with a box already labeled and dropping it on the counter prevents potential small-talk from nosy employees. You can also keep an address book on your ups/FedEx account, so it makes repeat trades with people easier.

11. Gcarns

Gcarns Aficionado (125) California Jul 21, 2010

Thanks for the reply. Does UPS offer any discounts? Ive primarily used them and so far so good. It does help that they are the closest to my place.

12. MordorMongo

Yes, appr same deal as FedEx, I am sure someone has exact discount and will chime in.

13. I dont know... I made a fed acct. It makes it so much easier. Print out the label at home and i drop it off at the local post net. Never had any issues.

14. JustinQ

Fedex is alot cheaper either way. Hope this help someway.

15. MordorMongo

For the most part I agree, however I recently sent a box to NC with UPS that was 1.81 cheaper than identical size and weight via FedEx. Not sure why that would be. Also seems cheaper by a few cents for me to Detroit area with UPS as well. Shrug.

16. I use fedex solely due in fact that the home deliver on saturday's for free

mapleneck and mocktm like this.
  17. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Do you need special labels to do this? I set up an account, but its not clear on the web site exactly how to print your own labels

18. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

No special labels needed. They set the formatting for 8 1/2 x 11 paper, it prints out on the top half of the page, then you just fold it over and use clear tape to attach it to the box. Just make sure there are no ripples or bubbles over the bar codes and that you use clear tape, also make sure to tape over the entire label so no part rips off.

kmello69 likes this.
  19. MordorMongo

And print two and lay one on top of contents on box righ before you seal it up so if for any reason the outside one gets ripped off they find they other when they open without rooting around.

robinsmv likes this.
  20. Probably a stupid question here that could be answered by checking the FedEx website, but I'd like to get experienced traders' opinions anyway. This is in regards to weight- how much is too much? I need to ship a four-pack of bottles, a sixer of cans and two four-packs of cans. Can this be done in one box, or is splitting it better?

21. JustinQ

I would do two boxes just because it would probably be cheaper that way. Sounds like a large box.

Also will probably decrease risk of damage to the package. Thats alot of weight so be shifting around in one box

Hope this helps. Cheers!

TongoRad likes this.
  22. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

To my regular trading partner's I send 20-24 bottle boxes with no problem...hell, woodchooper has sent me a box over 60lbs with a couple boxes inside a bigger box..

woodchopper, TongoRad and JustinQ like this.
  23. Its actually not free, but its only a couple bucks more.
    It's very handy for cross country shipments, but for 1-3 day shipments when I know it will land during the week I never choose home delivery.

24. Ahhh good to know! Thanks for the heads up!

25. Welcome. It took me forgetting to mark that option to realize that they deliver to a residence for no additional fee.

26. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

I am sorry i forgot to warn you i get a little carried away sometimes..... :)

I will see if i can do a smaller box..... I just don't have any little boxes laying around just ones that will fit a case or more at a time :p

xxcarpxx likes this.
  27. I work at a postnet glad to hear people utilizing them for drops.

28. One box - should end up around 5 lbs. ;) I try to keep my boxes under 30-35 lbs actual weight.

TongoRad likes this.