1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Help with a Brian Boru Clone

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by geneseohawk, Oct 7, 2012.

1. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (370) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

I love a good red beer in the fall and absolutely love FFF Brian Boru. Here is what the bottle states:

...very rich caramelly ale with toffee, citrus & pineapple aroma. Brian Boru is brewed with malt, Irish oats, honey & Amarillo hops". 5.5% and 40 IBU.

Anyone have any ideas where to start with a 5 gallon batch?

2. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Like most FFF beers, I think they use "hop bursting" in this beer. Throw a bunch of Amarillo in towards the last 15 minutes of the boil, and I would probably dry hop with an ounce or two as well. I also think they use Wyeast 1968 London ESB in most of their beers.

Good luck finding Amarillo right now, though. It's scarce :(

3. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I like Boru because it doesn't taste overhopped like most double reds I've had. Most seem to turn into an IPA. This one keeps it's malt flavor forward and really enjoyable. Careful with the hops and make sure you have plenty of yeast going into your batch.

4. Boru is a phenominal beer, if you find a good recipe I would love to see it

5. Any luck finding a recipe? Would really love to find a recipe to recreate this for my irish family!

6. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (370) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

The only thing I have found is this- I have not brewed and am not sure how close it is to the real thing. I would love to find a clone- one of my favorites from FFF. Thoughts? Anyone, Anyone, Bueller.....

OG-1.059
    FG-1.018
    IBU- 39
    color- 14srm

6.5lbs British Golden Promise
    4lbs- munich
    1lb- Flaked oats
    1lb- Carmel 60
    1lb- Clover Honey
    2oz- roasted barley

0.6 oz admiral hops 60min
    1oz amarillo 10 min
    1oz amarillo 5min

1968 yeast.

7. beertographer

beertographer Zealot (85) Colorado Aug 19, 2011

Looks like I might have something to brew next week. If I can grab a few oz of Amarillo I'll let you know how it goes. Love Brian Boru!