1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Here's an idea...use Beerfly!

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Brad007, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Just saying.

Why should people from certain states be expected to give suggestions to tourists? Beerfly works well. I've used it in the past when going to Boston, etc.

2. dciBA

dciBA Savant (390) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Yup, it works great. Also the search function is amazing and powerful for digging up the hundreds of "going to portland" and thousands of "going to vermont" threads.

3. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (715) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

Don't get me wrong. Beerfly is a great resource and I use it a heck of a lot, but when you are passing through (i.e. on a road trip) and don't know the lay of the land all that well, a shout out to the regional forums is really helpful. It's hard to tell how close or how far off the beaten path some places are.

4. ptrc

ptrc Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 26, 2011

Until (if) there's a map feature, I usually look up the top 10 to 20 places on Beerfly on google maps and create a custom map out of them. That combined with the offline maps feature on android phones will keep you on the right path even in places where there's no service... how I got around VT/ME/NY this summer with the spotty t-mobile coverage up there.

5. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Beerfly is great if you're going to a city where places are likely to be relatively close and public transit is available but has it's limits if you're going to a state like Vermont where everything is spread out. It helps to use a combination of beerfly and google maps in this case, but still if you're not familiar with the towns and roads, maps will only tell you so much. Good local knowledge is a valuable resource. That being said, not everyone needs to start their own thread for their trip. It seems that at any given time of year there is always a thread in the first few pages of the NE forum covering VT trips and Maine/95-corridor trips.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  6. Beerfly would be great if it was integrated with Google maps or any mapping system really. If I'm in NYC and staying on 57th, it takes some effort to sort through the reviews to find something within walking distance of my hotel. Same with many large cities. A lot of great reviews and places to visit, but if you're staying at the Marriott for business, you're generally looking for the best place close to your hotel. Maybe I'm missing something, but a basic mapping feature would be awesome.

dunix, FrankLloydMike and Brad007 like this.
  7. Brad007

I have personally gotten BMs from people looking for such advice. I understand that some find it better to ask "da locals" what they think but I would never dream of BM'ing someone from another state to ask them. It's not fair to them. There are plenty of resources out there for those willing to seek them out.

If it makes me an ass to some, oh well.

8. Brad007

Excellent idea!

9. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

How's that? Just curious why you're so adamant about not helping out other people.

10. huuvola

huuvola Savant (300) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2005

If you're looking for results in a specific area -- especially in larger cities -- all you need to do is narrow your search a bit by entering a ZIP code in Beerfly. Works like a charm. Here's an example for a search around Times Square (10036 zip code), and a more specific one for Cambridge, MA (in the 02141 zip code -- East Cambridge).

Regarding the original post, I don't mind requests for specific guidance (like, "which beer bar in XXXX area has the best food?"), but it's annoying when someone asks, for example, for a list of the best beer bars in the Back Bay, without bothering to look at Beerfly or, more important, doing a quick search of the forum to find previous posts on the same topic. If you're too lazy to use the search function, I'm not going to bother replying.

11. Brad007

Try growing up in a state where it's not uncommon for leaf peepers to harass you for directions.

Again, I apologize in advance if anyone's offended. Let's all drink to Obama's victory!

FUNKPhD likes this.
  12. kinopio

kinopio Savant (385) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

The zip code thing often doesn't work. CBC and Lord Hobo have different ones despite being down the street from each other.

Using both beerfly and google maps and entering different places in yourself is the only way to do it. Before going to a different city I spend half an hour figuring out the lay of the land and learning which places are in which neighborhoods. Worth what little effort it takes.

FrankLloydMike and ptrc like this.
  13. I completely agree for the most part. I've traveled quite a bit relying mostly on Beerfly.

That said, Beerfly is better in some areas than others. The most popular spots are usually well covered, but the hidden gems aren't. In the Boston area it is quite thorough, but that's not always the case. So I can see where people from other areas might come on here asking for help with a trip to Boston, not realizing that Beerfly is comprehensive for this area.

14. fo·rum
    /ˈfôrəm/
    Noun
    A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
    An Internet message board.

jrnyc likes this.
  15. I expect nothing less than that sort of curmudgeonly Yankee hospitality in my native New Hampshire, and I assume it's the same in Vermont and Maine. It's not rude to ask people to do a little legwork before posting the 100th thread about where to go in Burlington or Boston. Beerfly, like anything else, has its faults, and it's often more of a first step than a complete resource, but the threads where people ask specific questions about the areas they're visiting are much easier to answer and much more interesting than just a blanket question about the best bar in a city with a good Beerfly directory, let alone all of New England.

deanhead likes this.
  16. And if I stay at the Eastside Marriott and do a zip code search, I get this. Not very helpful. Again, the addresses are all saved on beeradvocate and they provide links to google maps with each. Why not make the search function mappable/integrated with google maps?

17. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (615) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Nothing wrong with asking a local about the changing craft brew scene prior to going on a trip. Things change, there is a place near me listed as a brewpub that hasn't had a system in it for a couple of years. Places open, get new brewers, close, get better, run specials, get worse. How is this any worse than asking what peoples preference for drinking when they are mowing their lawn for the 29th time? Off the top of my head I can think of one place that got good ratings and I wouldn't go near it now with a ten foot pole. Things like "don't trust the GPS" or the that pizza place one town over are priceless and what this website is, or should be about.

flexabull and franklinn like this.

18. Nobody is expecting you to give suggestions, or at least I certainly don't when I post in a region form for advice, but its helpful to have the locals opinions on shops. I've been to plenty of highly rated beer stores that, granted, had a large selection but didn't have what I was looking for off the beaten path. I've found stores that were within a half hour drive that had exactly what I was looking for, but I never would have gone without doing hours of research and phone calls to find out they had what I wanted. I understand your desire to grab the rare beers or limited seasonals before someone drives through and you certainly should do that before a visitor does but if stuff is just sitting in an out of the way location and nobody has bought it, then tell the tourists where they can go to get what they want.

flexabull likes this.
  19. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.. after doing even a bit of research. Looking at Beerfly and searching the forums would reduce the number of such posts by, I'd say, about half. I mean how many of essentially the same "Where should I go in Boston" or "Can I get Heady in southern Vermont" posts do we need? If people did a quick search of the forums, they'd have some sense of an answer. Plenty of people do research and then post more specific questions. That makes sense; just posting an open-ended (and already answered) questioned doesn't.

As to the brewpub that isn't (I'm assuming you're referring to Maple Leaf), I wish that people would update such things when they find them. There's a button on every entry on Beerfly to report an update. People should use it to make sure Beerfly remains a reliable source.

20. Flashy

This is fun thing, let's not take it that serious. Yes, the Maple Leaf which has been far surpassed by Apre Vous, something locals don't even know, is still listed as a BP but is no longer. I am not just talking about looking for Heady Topper this weekend, but what about someone going to Kalamazoo. Redundant at times, sure, but this is supposed to be fun. I updated the Maple Leaf and am not sure if it was carried over, it wasn't the first time I tried.

21. I have a friend who lives a few doors down from Apres Vous, and despite the silly name, he and I agree that it has a far better selection than Maple Loaf. Though I really digged the room at Maple Leaf on my one visit.

Anyway, you're right that it's supposed to be fun. And as a New Englander, I'm sure you'll agree, there's nothing more fun than complaining!

I reply a ton of posts (and have fun doing so) about my home state of New Hampshire, and particularly the Merrimack Valley on here, and it especially makes sense in areas like that that aren't craft beer hot spots, where locals probably know way more than Beerfly. All I'm asking is that people do the tiniest bit of research (search the forums) and be a bit more specific in what they're looking for before starting a new thread, especially on common topics. For most places and most specifics, they'll still need to start a new thread, but there won't be so much redundancy. And they'll probably get better answers.

22. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I prefer asking the locals. Not everyone uses beerfly and I'd like to know what new and cool places to head to.

flexabull likes this.
  23. Flashy

Apre Vous is awesome. Where else can you get a full, 20 oz tulip glass- which you have to hold with two hands so as not to spill any, of North Coast Old Ale for six bucks. Plus, the people are great and the food is very good. Nice vibe all around. And I agree, do the homework but feel free to ask.

24. I like offering local info, and I like to get it from others. But I cannot keep up with the constant requests for info on here for VT, so I'd have to throw in "try researching other threads first" as a precursor - everything you need may be right here in the forums already. Then follow up with some specific questions to get some updates?

25. Flashy

I live in Vermont and still can barely figure out where to get Lawson's and Hill Farmstead. People are used to going to a store and buying what they want. They are a little confused by "you can only find it at one place on Friday and Monday, but you can't call ahead and there maybe rationing- and get there before noon or it's all gone" or "drive down the dirt road for five miles and knock on the door of the farmhouse, not the barn- and don't use your GPS". That being said, I know a place that used to be an awesome beer bar, some say it still is, some say it isn't. But it turns into a smoke filled honky tonk at night. If I am taking my kids for chicken tenders at nine at night I want to know if I am going to have Boxcar Willie blasting away on the guitar in a cloud of smoke ten feet away. Yo can't always get that without asking. Also that stupid four o'clock opening of great places you get around here is something people should be told. I'd had to drive three hours to find out the place doesn't open for three more hours (which has happened to all of us I am sure).

kinopio and franklinn like this.
  26. If you would rather people just use beerfly... don't read/respond to the threads asking for further info? Wouldn't that be easier than asking people not to post said threads in the first place?

Beerfly is a useful resource for sure, but nothing beats immediate local knowledge.

Providence likes this.
  27. Thank you. This should really end the discussion. What's the harm in people reaching out to you through beeradvocate asking questions about beer. It's a hobby-website, not your work e-mail.

Nobody likes tourists in their state until they recognize how much revenue they bring into the communities that they are visiting. Having to give someone directions to a place they have never gone to is a small price to pay when you, friends or other locals are able to pay their mortgage because of tourist revenue.

28. Come on now... Beer Fly is good but far from comprehensive. Especially internationally and outside the beery/urban areas. As far as I am concened you shouldn't be on Beeradvocate if you get upset about people looking for tips in your area. Maybe you will even make a new friend. God forbid! I have met a ton of awesome BA's from posting for tips in the Belgium/Netherlands forum before trips. But by your rational I shouldn't have done that and just used beerfly?

flexabull and franklinn like this.
  29. Also... If you are relying on Beer Fly you are assuming that the place has a lot of reviews. Very often there are local BA's that are lurkers on this site that choose not to review places but have great reccomendations that they are willing to share on a thread. A perfect example of this is De Bistronoom in Belgium. Only 3 reviews on this site and I doubt anyone would find out about it using Beerfly but yet it is an amazing place. This is especially true internationally where language barriers can be an issue.

If someone asking a simple question on a forum bothers you this much the issue is you not them.

30. Tender on the mark.

In fact... we shouldn't even discuss beers anymore. Just check the reviews. Why bother having a discussion about a specific beer or brewery, when you can just check the reviews and get your info there?

31. Brad007

Follow your own advice and ignore threads like this in the near future.

Thanks! :p

32. Not just beerfly but search the forum. The same "heading to Vt" thread comes up every week

33. Errr.. yeah, except that I'm advocating PARTICIPATING in threads like this.

Hence... participation.