HF Arthur

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by mikecharley, Jan 30, 2013.

1. mikecharley

mikecharley Advocate (545) Pennsylvania Nov 6, 2008 Verified

I had a bottle of Arthur the other day, and enjoyed it immensly. Very funky, with some lemon pepper going on, and great earthiness that all add up to a great saison. Now I have a dilemna. I have another bottle... I have had saisons similar to this that have aged great, and others that have fallen apart after 6 months to a year. Has anyone had success with aging this particular beer? Any horror stories? I would just hate to waste the potential of a great fresh beer only to pissed when I crack it in a year or two and am disappointed

2. HuskyinPDX

HuskyinPDX Advocate (680) Washington Jan 23, 2011 Verified

If it tastes so great now, why wait? I say open it with some friends soon.

3. Arthur is my favorite HF saison that didn't come from a barrel. Outside of Vera Mae anyway. I've never had any Arthur manage to stay in my house for more than a week or two before it somehow finds itself poured into a glass.

So, I suggest that if you manage to age it, you're a stronger man than I.

Sorry, that's all I have.

4. I have an Arthur I'm trying to keep tucked away for a year or so, but we'll see how that goes. My guess is the tartness and funk and lemon/green apple notes will become more dominant, but there's only one way to find out.

5. I think they have started putting Arthur in barrels for a short time, as of the last couple batches. Not positive but I know the plan was to eventually make Arthur like the first batch of Art. Then future batches of Art would be aged for 12 months or more in barrels.