Highest ABV 12 packs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by opwog, May 21, 2013.

1. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

I guess that just like people in the other 49 states have a hard time grasping what beer buying must be like in PA, that similarly for PA people who have not bought elsewhere, that things like this must seem very foreign. For delivery purposes to stores, 12 packs can come in those cardboard flats, but are normally bought individually by consumers. The whole thread probably doesn't make much sense in PA, but 12 packs can be very popular ways of buying beer everywhere else. It is convenient to bring to a house party for a couple of people or a generous person wanting to share, etc. Really popular format for the summer months. At one beer shop that I used to go to all of the time in Huntington Beach, it used the be the most popular quantity pack sold.

2. opwog

Again, not variety or mixed packs. Steel Reserve is beer (not good beer, but still beer), but I think that you may be thinking about a case of 40's or quarts that come in a quantity of 12 versus a 12 x 12 ounce bottles. But let me know if you have seen SR 211 in 12 packs of 12 ounce bottles.

3. opwog

Just google imaged this and sure enough they do have a 12x12 pack. I have never even seen this beer in a container smaller than a 24 oz can, which is why I originally thought you meant 40's.

4. Psykhe

Psykhe Aficionado (195) Maryland Oct 7, 2010

I'm fairly certain that you can purchase 12 packs in PA bottleshops and bars that sell to go so long as it doesn't supersede the 192 fluid oz limit (so 12x12s coming in at 144 should be allowed). Although now that I think about it, I can't recall seeing any with any regularity, but I think that's mainly due to the popularity and ease of selling single bottles for mix sets and the quick changeover of 6 packs.

In my experiences, 12 packs aren't a "popular size", unless we're speaking about malternatives and macros. And even then they are really only an option if there isn't room in the cooler or the money for an 18 pack or a case (even better a 30 pack! Wooo! Par-tay!).
    Craft beer-wise, I don't believe enough has been made available in 12 pack format for it to be attractive enough to sell well, excluding variety or sampler sets. However, with the movement towards canning becoming more prominent, I think it's going to start gaining more popularity where available. And the only places that I have ever encountered selling multiple varieties of packaging (6/12/case) have gone one of two extremes- large box stores such as Total Wine or small run-of-the-mill liquor and beer stores, in which case it is almost exclusively macros.

5. Want

6. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Champion (870) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2008

Correct, they can - but I think I've only seen at the bottle shops that have a huge amount of space, like Wegmans. It just seems like a waste of a shelf slot since most people are buying six packs.

I've bought beer in other states so I'm not totally clueless, I just don't recal seeing lots of 12 packs.

7. How much do you pay for that? Not sure I have seen that in NJ.

8. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

I wanna say like $20 but I haven't bought it in awhile so I could be way off. Sorry bout the uncertainty.

GoGators likes this.
  9. Psykhe

I thought I addressed that part of your question... Was I confused as to what you meant?

10. Psykhe

Maryland Total Wine sells it for $25.99, probably listed similarly at others?

11. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Champion (870) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2008

Yes, you did. The second part of my post was really directed to the OP, sorry.

12. lagunitas ipa is in 12 packs at 6.2% abv

13. anteater

anteater Advocate (645) Oregon Sep 10, 2012

i've bought 24 packs of...

pale santo maron - 12%
    hopsolutely - 11.5%
    brooklyn black chocolate stout - 10%

14. This is actually a pretty interesting thread. I dont have much to add, except that I rarely see 12 packs of any decent beer, except variety packs and some beers from the larger craft breweries like Sierra Neveda and Sam Adams (and even these are usually limited to only their most popular offerings).

15. Does Stone make 12 packs?

16. I never buy these but Pyramid Outburst DIPA at 8.5% comes in 12 packs.

Chaz likes this.
  17. Last time we had them in at the store I work at I think they were $24.95

18. You're not missing much....glad I didn't buy 12.

19. Psykhe

Dominion recently released their 'Pinup Pack', a variety 12 pack. It contains a mix of Double D IPA (10.2% ABV), Morning Glory Espresso Stout (9% ABV), and GiGi's Farmhouse Ale (7.2% ABV).

[​IMG]

Sorry, OP. I know that you personally are not considering mixes.

20. opwog

Why is it so hard for people to understand the difference between the number 12 and the number 24? Yes, we all know that a shit ton of beers are available in 24 qty 12 oz bottles. But the subject line is clearly looking for 12 packs for marketing purposes. At no point am I asking for 12 or greater quantities, I am specifically asking for 12 packs. So if somebody can find a brick box of of 60 Ten Fidy's, that in no way meets the criteria.

21. Rampant is like 8.1%

I don't buy NB's peach bombs but still.

22. ufmj

ufmj Savant (405) Florida Feb 15, 2013

I've seen that Southern Tier "Superpack" @ Stew Leonard's (off of Route 22 in Mountainside) but not since last fall/winter.

23. Saw the Souther Tier Superpack for 25 bucks. I guess double the ABV = double the price. :D

24. Me too. It's one of the few things that makes winter bearable.

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  25. This thread is fantastic! I now have an excuse to visit every beer store in the area this weekend for research purposes. Mini road trip!

26. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Has there been a mention of Ranger from New Belgium, yet?

Anytime I think about higher (6%+) ABV beers in 12-pack N.R. I begin to remember Arcadia's I.P.A. The recipe must've changed, as I recall it as a 7% beer about eight years ago, and I always thought of that as "too strong" for a 12-pack!

27. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

bear republic hop rod rye, 8% and delicious

28. Also:
    Great Divide Big Show Pack.

29. Stone does their IPA... I believe its 6.9 abv goes for about 16.99

30. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I get cases of 120 for 180. Clocks in at 18%

31. We get it in Florida!

32. Sierra Nevada Torpedo? 7.2% or something

33. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (660) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

I got a whole case of that shit for $15. Not the best DIPA, but worth the money for sure.

34. obrike

obrike Savant (435) Texas Jun 19, 2009

In a 12 pack? Get outta town! I want this badly in Texas!

rather likes this.
  35. obrike

obrike Savant (435) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Racer 5 twelve packs go for about 17-18 bucks in Austin. 7%abv.

36. Sorry lol I clearly did not read first post.

37. Racer 5 is 7% of pure dankness!

38. opwog

I don't know how I forgot about Bear Republic beers, given that I only just recently moved from CA after 20+ years. Some of the best "bang for your buck" (in quality) beers available in CA.

39. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Do you drain pour the whole case also?

40. grantcty

grantcty Aficionado (235) Minnesota Feb 17, 2008

Someone correct me, but didn't Widmer KGB RIS come in 12 packs? That was 9.3%