1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Maybe the hype gets to you early and gets your hopes up way too high. Maybe the beer's just not your style or taste. But I think we've all been underwhelmed by a beer that was supposed to be "amazing" by critics and BA's alike.... So what were some of your underwhelming moments?

I think for me, one of the biggest was Stone's Imperial Russian Stout. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great beer. But many people were putting this in their top 3 RIS's (and even top 3 stouts in general) and so possibly my expectations were a bit too high. It was almost a touch too sweet for me, with the raisin-fig taste being a bit too overpowering. As I said, still a great brew, but there are many RIS's I take over this one.

Gipsy_Danger and trixdout like this.
  2. A lot of the vaunted West Coast IPAs like Green Flash, Stone etc don't impress me because I prefer a citrusy IPA with a little balance, like Two Hearted and White Rajah. But I can understand why a lot of people like the aforementioned beers.

3. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Yer I'll go Stone IRS too- had two bottles, one was mediocre the other was hideous.

rauchfest likes this.
  4. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Pretty much every Stone beer

5. BCBVS.... So wish I would've traded that one instead.

6. Dark Lord. Good, but not great.

7. Rare. It was good but not as mind blowing as I had been hoping.

8. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Ten Fidy.

It was pricey and gets excellent reviews here, but I was underwhelmed. For about the same price (actually, a bit less per oz.), I much preferred Bell's Expedition Stout. I enjoyed that bitter chocolate/licorice taste in the expo stout.

I prefer Old Rasputin, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, and Victory Storm King over Ten Fidy...and all of these cost significantly less.

I think with all of these that I liked, I could actually identify some "taste" (or combo. of tastes)...chocolate, coffee, etc. I really couldn't figure out what Ten Fidy was trying to go for...except $15 a 4-pack.

9. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Blabaer

Don't get me wrong, it's very good but there are at least 5 other Cantillon beers I'd rather drink.

djrn2, Stigs, NoSignsOfPain and 5 others like this.
  10. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Hunahpu. It was pretty good, but not any different from Marshall Zukhov, which is much easier to find. I had a 2012 fresh, got no flavor from the chilies, and wasn't nearly as mind-blowing as expected.

pschul4, Pittsky, mhenson42 and 2 others like this.
  11. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

Founder's Hop Harvest & Backwoods Bastard. I don't get the hype behind either.

gustogasmic likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Most recently, I'll have to go with Bells Expedition Stout. I honestly never thought I would drainpour a beer from Bells, but there I was. I am told with some years on it that it transforms into a different animal, can't wait to see.

Andershausen, kpar, curtind1 and 3 others like this.
  13. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Too bad, try Abraxas from Perennial. It was fantastic.

jaminjohnson, ncaudle and YaKnowBrady like this.
  14. Yea I thought ten fidy was below average RIS, its still good but almost all other american examples I've had are better.

Ipswich oatmeal stout 6pck for 8$ or Ten Fidy 4pack for 15$ hmmmmm.

15. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

:eek:

Your opinion is bad, and you should feel bad.

I kid, but really, that beer is amazing.

alucard6679, crxy49, Weter and 11 others like this.
  16. KBS, Pliny, BCBS. All solid brews, but I just can't understand the crazy cult following of these beers.

17. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (380) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Supplication...rubbing alcohol passed off as beer

18. Wow, I can't believe I'm reading this. Someone that actually agrees with me. I've been saying this for years now, Ten Fidy is overrated and overpriced. I also agree that all of the stouts you listed are heads and shoulders better than TF and I'd drink any/all of them any day before TF.

BeerKangaroo, cbartow, azorie and 3 others like this.
  19. JimDH

JimDH Aficionado (215) Kentucky Feb 7, 2011

I share your preference for citrus flavor but White Rajah underwhelmed me, considering its BA score, because I didn't find it balanced at all. To be fair, Brew Kettle promotes it as a West Coast-style IPA and includes on the label description "malt, take a back seat please." So they aren't promising balance.

Not criticizing your post--just sharing a much different take on the beer.

20. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

where to start...................
    Dark Lord, Bourbon County Vanilla, Bourbon Country Coffee, CBS, Alpha King, Expedition Stout, and BA blackout. Most of the Midwest stuff I have had has just been very average for the hype it has gotten.

Andershausen and brewbetter like this.
  21. Hanzo. What specifically didn't you like about the fresh Expedition? I think it's a great beer, maybe sometimes a little hot when fresh, but still a really good beer. I would say if you don't like it fresh, you probably won't like it with age on it.

So only one thing to do here, send it all to me.

joelwlcx, jhartley and YaKnowBrady like this.
  22. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

I'm sure to be in the minority but I was not at all impressed by Pliny the Elder. It was really good, perhaps even among the best... as an IPA. But it just didn't have the body or "oomph" I look for in an imperial/ double IPA.

PittBeerGirl, Stinger80OH and JAYAR1 like this.
  23. Speedway stout. Solid but not great.

curtind1, greggerino, Shilt and 3 others like this.
  24. Honesty? I don't think anything Alesmith has blown me away.

divineaudio likes this.
  25. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Have to agree with the Rare, CBS, and Blabaer. All solid, but 09 BCBS, KBS, or St Lamvinus all more easily obtainable substitutes.

JohnB87 likes this.
  26. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Not sure how to describe it, the smell, taste, just was off to me. I am told brewers licorice is used in the beer (assuming that is what makes the unique flavor?) That plus the bitterness just didn't do it for me.

27. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Hanzo, I didnt like Expedition either for a long time. I recently bought a 6-pack and am enjoying it much more than I did in the past. It certainly needs to warm up a lot before I agree with it, too. I think I'll let a couple sit for a few years to see what that is all about, too. I dont mind the heat on it now, though.

28. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

darklord

jokemon and seplo like this.
  29. CBS, great beer but was expecting it to be a lot more complex. Really disappointing.

fullmetal1381 and jmalex like this.
  30. Dark Lord for me, too. Though that might have been because I was at a tasting where we also sampled Kate the Great and Chocolate Rain.

jokemon, seplo and aasher like this.
  31. RDMII

RDMII Savant (315) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Frangelic Mountain Brown, fail. Founder's dropped the ball big time on that one.
    Pliny, no clue why this beer is so hyped. I found it completely boring as hell.
    And I agree with most anything from Stone. It's either overhopped or just bitter as hell.

curtind1, sukwonee, Uwftke26 and 2 others like this.
  32. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

lawl

Aexoonge, Texasfan549 and SadMachine like this.
  33. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Heady topper. I don't know what I was expecting but it was so hyped I figured I was going to blow a load when it hit The lips... I think zombie dust and alpha king are way better.

34. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Dark Lord by far. It tasted like someone emptied sugar packets into a bottle of soy sauce. Absolutely terrible. I should have kept the 3 KBS I traded for it.

35. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (415) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

Kate the Great: I can buy better stouts at the local super market.

NoSignsOfPain, cosmonick and vissai like this.
  36. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

Burton baton for me

mzeld likes this.
  37. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (350) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

I'm still new to this so I don't have a ton of options, but Great Lakes Nosferatu has a pretty high score on here and I didn't care for it at all. Drain poured about half.

38. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

39. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

Brooklyn chocolate stout. It gets better after a year but even then it's not that great.

I already know a bunch of people will disagree. It just doesn't hide the alcohol worth a shit for something that's only in the 10ish abv range.

Honus1, C20Percent and MagillaGriller like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.