1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeDurp

JoeDurp Savant (255) Texas Nov 5, 2011

Live in Texas like i said we have nothing amazing

2. endovelico

endovelico Savant (345) Portugal Jul 25, 2008

Judging by my rating history: The Old Crustacean. I wanted to like that beer so much, but it was just awful. It wasn't even a case of not living up to expectations, it genuinely tasted like it was a bad home brew attempt at a barley wine. :(

3. Bourbon Barrel aged Hi-Fi Rye.

4. Kate the Great was awesome, but it baffles me at people who would pay $300 or more for a bomber of it. I've had other RIS(s) that are about as good.

5. The Goose Island Bourbon County Stout was one of the most disappointing/disgusting beers I've ever had. Immediate gag reflex when I tasted that molasses/caramel flavor as it touched my tongue. Gross.

6. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Savant (465) Texas Dec 25, 2010

A friend shared the most recent Kate the Great with me, and for all the hype surrounding this beer none of us were impressed at all. I feel we may have built it up to much for it to satisfy our expectations.

7. AcE311

AcE311 Disciple (70) Nov 13, 2012

Haha really hmm, I only had it once and I think i had been drinking other beers before hand. All I remember is that I wasn't impressed ill definitely give it another try though.

8. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Dark Lord (PVW BA was amazing mind, but I give higher credit to the bourbon than the beer on that one)

9. Abyss. KBS. St. Lamvinus. Pliny. Westy. All were very good but none blew me away, as talk about them here led me to believe would be the case.

2beerdogs likes this.
  10. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

PtE, BA Blackout Stout, Frangelic Mtn Brown, Backwoods Bastard, Black Note....

...And the winner is Bourbon County Vanilla

This one showed up on tap at half a dozen places during Chicago craft beer week, and is far and away my least favorite of the BCBS varieties (its still a very solid brew, just not great). I'll take fresh coffee, bramble, rare, and regular BCBS any year (esp. 2008, 2009) over this one any day of the week.

I think people are getting carried away with the whole "but.dude.it.was.made.once.and.will.never.be.made.again".

Atlas1977 and ADTaber like this.
  11. I'd have to say 120 because even though it doesn't have AMAZING ratings on here, there's a ton of hype about it. A solid beer for sure, but nothing I would go crazy to seek out.

12. I tried to edit my last post but was just passed the time limit, so... edit. Also Sculpin kinda let me down for being a "top 50" beer in the world. I must say though that I must revisit it, since I had it after 2 pints of the first batch of Stone's Enjoy By, which to date is my favorite IPA of any kind (single, double, etc.). It was good but I was expecting more, but my palate may have been a bit out of whack or used to the Enjoy By at that point.

KhakCane and Hopportunistic like this.
  13. tmm313

tmm313 Savant (430) Georgia Nov 6, 2011

North Coast Old Stock Ale and Old Rasputin. Still cringe at the thought.

Gotti311 and CA_Infidel2o9 like this.
  14. Nugget Nectar. I just don't get it. I tried the last batch for the first time and was super excited... meh

15. wde83

wde83 Aficionado (150) Alabama Nov 9, 2012

So after reading how everyone on here was having such a love affair with this stuff, I went out this afternoon and tracked down what I am pretty sure is the last six pack of this in town. Tried my first tonight. It was fine, nothing wrong with it really, but I was a much bigger fan of Founder's Harvest than I am of this. Generally would just assume to have a decent fresh bottle of Two Hearted or West Coast IPA which are pretty readily available here as well.

Lantern likes this.
  16. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I have to add Celebration too. I buy it every year and I enjoy it but it never lived up to the amazing reputation it has. But I think websites like this lead to overhyping. Just enjoy what you enjoy, don't expect it to be anything special just because everyone on here "loves it". I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people who talk about hyped beers haven't even actually tried them

17. Widmer Brothers Reserve Prickly Pear Braggot! An experiment gone wrong!

2beerdogs likes this.
  18. goalie33

goalie33 Savant (340) New York Dec 3, 2009

bourbon county vanilla and kbs. neither had the punch that i enjoy in a barrel aged imperial stout

19. Call me crazy, but Cantillon Geuze. I love Geuze, it's one of my favorite styles, so I was REALLY looking forward to trying Cantillon. It wasn't bad at all, but it was my least favorite of the traditional ones that I've tried. I much preferred Drie Fonteinen, Boon, etc. I just didn't care for the balance... much too acidic and not enough of the earthiness. It was very vinegary.

20. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (810) California Jan 31, 2005

Another one that underwhelmed...Framboise de Amorosa.

Hamburgers likes this.
  21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Backwoods Bastard, ok not earth shaking.. My palate has probably changed with drinking a lot more Stouts.

22. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (425) California Dec 17, 2012

I would agree about SN Celebration. You can't meander through these forums without reading about the love affair some have with it, but I don't get it... But I had another Widmer Brrr last night and still dig it.

23. Is it(Widmer Brrr) less hoppy than Jubelale and Celebration? I like both OK but I'm not always in the mood for a super hoppy warmer. I like the Bell's Christmas Ale a lot and it's only mildly hopped.

24. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Why should "talk"about the beers u mentioned by some dudes on a site matter. How are they qualified. It's opinion.
    Drink it and decide for ur self.
    It is not only personal taste, but its almost become cool to bash on the established " highly" lauded beers.
    Like oh dude Kbs or pte is so over-rated (what ever the hell that means)
    It's almost a pseudo- hipster culture when it comes to these beers.
    Pliny... So mainstream man, I was drinking HF when no one know about em.

SadMachine and fujindemon74 like this.
  25. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Founders Dirty Bastard. Don't get me wrong. This beer was by no means bad, I just didn't think it was all that great.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  26. SN Celebration Ale

brewbetter and fujindemon74 like this.
  27. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (280) Texas Dec 2, 2006

*Looks around. Sees tons of awesomeness in beer cellar from trades. Keeps looking around. Also sees Texas surrounding him.*

*Shrugs.*

fullmetal1381 and jl28r1 like this.
  28. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

Nugget Nectar. I just don't get it. Too sweet, too much resin and a completely unbalanced mess.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  29. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

First year I had it, I was underwhelmed as well. My gf loved it though so I bought it a case of it the following year, and did a complete 180 on it after having a few. Can't find a better amber in Massachusetts, except maybe Hopback Amber.

30. Marty91

Marty91 Savant (265) Pennsylvania Feb 27, 2012

Molson XXX

31. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I just had my first Abyss and I thought it sucked.

Just kidding, it was amazing.

BDJake likes this.
  32. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

Fifty Fifty Eclipse Corn Whiskey

powz87 likes this.
  33. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Founders Breakfast Stout bottled on 8/6/12. Coffee, hops and kinda watery. Not a hint of chocolate or vanilla whatsover. However, I have seen other ba's complain about the 2012 batch.

KISSFR33K and ThisWangsChung like this.
  34. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

HEADY TOPPER.
    Thats right, I said it. But without dating on the cans I still reserve judgement. Maybe mine was just a tad old. Hop profile was still sharp, but not sure how a super fresh one may be.

Holmes698 and brewbetter like this.
  35. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Not that they do not have 1-2 beers in their lineup that I might enjoy regularly, but based on their overall lineup...

3 that underwhelm me:
    FFF
    DFH
    Stone

36. I agree with many of the dislikes of these highly regarded beers but this comment is nuts. If you cant find a beer from any of these 3 you dont like beer.

37. Westmalle Dubbel

38. Double Sunshine, Greenflash West Coast

DrewCapzz likes this.
  39. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (560) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Big Eddy stuff is another WHIFF by Leinenkugel's, great you made a big beer that's not even sniffing @ Sam Adam's Imperial Series stuff which also is rather hot, syrupy & unbalanced.
    Sixpoint Brewing available here in Ohio, was a let down. With all of them being a variation of the 2 things they have hops & bitter neither of which in any of the variations has done anything but irritate me as to how one dimensional they all were.
    Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Burning River are always a one and done for me, if I can even do that.

Corkpuller likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.