1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

1. tut2528

tut2528 Savant (460) Illinois Sep 26, 2008

+1 Speedway Stout
    Smurf2055 likes this.
  2. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

The New Glarus fruit beers (Serendipity, Raspberry Tart, Belgian Red, Apple Ale) were all very tasty, but other than Belgian Red seemed to have little going on other than just fruit. By no means bad, but just not 90+ beers IMO.
  3. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

Bells Hell Hath No Fury.... terrible at $16 a sixer

Founders Breakfast stout..... don't get me wrong, I love stouts, but it just tasted like carbonated black coffee with some alcohol in it to me.... one of my only ever drain pours
  4. bostonlogga

bostonlogga Zealot (85) Washington Jan 13, 2013

Supplication & consecration. Good beers, but definitely not a wow IMO. I'd much rather spend my money on a cascade. the vine, sang royal, you name it
  5. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Savant (485) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

Zombie Dust.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good beer. I don't think is even a top 5 beer in the FFF lineup. Its place in the current Top 250 blows my mind.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  6. This.
  7. One man gathers what another man spills.
  8. FW's best beer for me so far is Union Jack. Double J, Sucaba, DDBA, and XVI were all pretty good, but definitely not worth the price.
  9. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Just tried Speedway Stout yesterday, was above average but not great.
  10. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Damn! Love both and would never drain pour either...
  11. mcrago

Oh come on, this is just getting ridiculous. This beer is epic and is one of the all-time greats that is regularly available. Please tell me you are kidding.
  12. Not going to lie, but I though Black Ops was overrated. It was good, but felt it was lacking in the flavor department and a little thin compared to some of the competition. Maybe I just expected to be wowed by the $24 price tag...
  13. corbenlee

corbenlee Aficionado (160) Indiana Apr 27, 2011

Gotta be CBS.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  14. I don't say this with any malice, more matter-of-fact than anything, I just think pretty much everything from Victory is super overrated.
  15. woemad

woemad Champion (770) Washington Jun 8, 2003

In Spokane, before Terminal Gravity's beers began to be distributed locally, their IPA had this super-folkloric reputation, fueled in part by posts from Oregon BAs. When it finally reached my neck of the woods, I found it a perfecty average IPA - not bad, but nothing to get excited about, either.
  16. the subtlety of black ops is one of its best qualities. In the growing beer industry it seems like unless a beer has flavors the come in and hit each and every tastebud like a roided out MMA fighter, then its just meh.

This continuing thought process bothers me. i try to drink all beers with an open mind. if a beer just shows up on my palate and delivers delicate flavors theres nothing ever wrong with that. sometimes that softness lends to drinkability
    JxExM, dougbehn and AngusOg like this.
  17. I'd have to go with Founder's Imperial Stout. To me, there just wasnt a whole lot going on with that beer. Who knows maybe Russian Imperial Stouts aren't really my thing. This was my fourth RIS and wasn't really impressed with it. To me, American Doubles are a lot better.
  18. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

You need to have our taste buds checked.
    JimSmetana and mcrago like this.
  19. sierra nevada narwhal. it was a decent stout but a lot of people hyped it up to the point where i was looking all over for it.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  20. One thing that I have come to see as fundamentally important with beer is that it's not just subjective on the person drinking it, it's also subjective on that person, how they feel that day, what they ate, what their palate is craving.

For example, let's say that you had never had BCBS on tap and you walked into a bar where they were offering it for a limited time only. You were really in the mood for a pale ale, not a stout, but you just couldn't pass up the chance to try this beer you had heard so much about. So you try it and it doesn't do much for you and it makes your list of underwhelming beers.

I am at least guilty of situations like this.

All that said, someone mentioned Bell's Hell Hath No Fury. I didn't know that this was highly acclaimed, but it was definitely underwhelming. I guess it was highly acclaimed personally because it was a special release from Bell's and Belgian Dubbels are one of my favorite styles. Genuine meh from my opinion. Brewery Vivant produces a top notch dubbel that is available all year long for a fraction of the price. And that's that.
    jgluck likes this.
  21. mcrago

I guess I don't get "in the mood" for a typical kind of beer. I keep my mind open and make a decision based on what is available when at a bar.
  22. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (340) Florida Mar 16, 2012

As much as I had heard about sculpin I was excited to try it for the first time. It was a great piney IPA but I was expecting a lot more.
    EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  23. You've never been 'in the mood' for a particular beer or food? Conversely, you have never had a time when you just didn't feel like having a particular type of beer or an item of food that you would normally enjoy?
  24. mcrago

Food - yes. Beer - no. What I was saying is that when I go out to a bar I don't go with any types or styles in mind. Mostly because I don't have any "epic" craft beer bars in this area, so I have to accept what they have. I literally make up my mind once I see the beer list.
  25. RJM

RJM Initiate (0) Djibouti Jan 20, 2013

Goose Bourbon County
    FFF Dark Lord
    Founders KBS

I can feel the hate already, but I actually enjoy Dragons Milk, Founders regular breakfast, and Port Old Viscosity more than any of these three, and what's better, I don't have to fight mobs of beer geeks to get hold of them.
  26. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Abyss, Younger, Elder, Hunahpu
  27. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (360) New York Jul 16, 2011

Trappistes Rochefort 8
    wanted to like it... but I walked away thinking "meh". Never bought again. Hate even admitting it, because I feel like my taste buds are dysfunctional.
    (my fav go to beer = speedway, so I am out of synch with several of the above posters in that regard too....)
  28. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

That is what FBS tasted to me as well only add hops. I finished the bottle regardless.
  29. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Damon

Shaun does a lot of things really well (Saisons, IPAs, Porters, etc.) but BA stouts aren't one of them. Also thought Genealogy of Morals was pretty average.
  30. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Savant (485) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

I knew this would piss a lot of people off. But I see others in the thread that agreed with me.

I say "Oh come on" when I hear people bitching about availability of a good beer. Never said it was bad, just overrated. I would take a Dreadnaught on tap a thousand times before a ZD.
  31. Two Hearted wasn't as good as I expected. Not a bad beer, mind you, but not anywhere in my top 10. Also, when I had Westvleteren 8 I don't remember being blown away.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  32. Heady Topper, westvleteren, sublimely self righteous. I need to get some fresh heady cause I'm pretty sure it rules.
  33. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (160) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

Bells two hearted. Yuck!
    Lipsntoes and EyePeeAyBryan like this.
  34. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Recent ones include Stone 16th, SN Celebration, SN Narwhal, and BCBCS.
  35. colts9016

colts9016 Savant (400) Idaho Jul 2, 2007

Simple Hop Slam, was just not what I thought it was going to be. Maybe it was not fresh enough, but the hype is bigger than the beer.
    AmitC likes this.
  36. HoosierBrew

HoosierBrew Disciple (65) Indiana Jan 12, 2013

Couldn't agree more.
  37. SN Celebration
  38. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

OK, so you have your argument covered with the first sentence. That being said, the thread is Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you and you mention 3 breweries that produce at least a dozen brews a year. This is not making much sense to me.
  39. Definitely Sucks....
  40. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Dark Lord. One of the worst stouts I've had.