1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Firestone Walker Abacus
    Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break
    Unibroue La Fin Du Monde
  2. Nugget Nectar anyone? It's good but people treat this like it's the holy grail of beers.
  3. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Fair enough. I'll be specific. Then I'll duck !!

Beers that way underwhelmed for me:
    DFH: Palo Santo Marron......a Vicks Formula 44 clone
    FFF: Zombie Dust.........an OK beer but not at all worthy of the hype IMHO. Many APA & IPA I would rather have.
    Stone: IPA......Just too bitter and unbalanced. Give me a Two-Hearted, Green Flash, Hop Devil, FW, any day of the week.
    SToneyBrew likes this.
  4. I agree but it is really good for the cost.
  5. It's good but definitely not the holy grail
  6. Just a suggestion... if you have any more Expedition left age it for six months and then try it again.
    luwak likes this.
  7. Agree, Founders Frangelic Mountain was a fail. Pliny is really good but is is that good? I really liked the Stone 10th Anniversary but wouldn't say it's holy grail material. Not sure what wold be...
  8. Heady Topper is good and so is Lawson's Double Galaxy but is it holy grail? Not sure what would be holy grail material. I am a big Apocolypse Cow and Double Jack fan. Again neither are holy grail's.
  9. Love some Speedway but agree... not a holy grail
  10. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (395) California Dec 17, 2012

Stone's Enjoy By. Finally got them at my local BevMo, so tried it out (Enjoy By 2/15/13). The smell was really nice and floral, reminiscent of a Sucks or a Pliny, but I got way too much onion/garlic action to really enjoy it, despite my love of IPAs. Definitely overhyped in my opinion...
  11. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

Two Hearted and Nugget Nectar, dont care for either brew at all
    RobertColianni likes this.
  12. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Sucks, and nugget nectar. On a separate note a beer that surprised me was ten fitty, awesome stout
  13. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

Lmao. Literally I can't imagine a beer tasting better than cbs
  14. BCBS, just not for me
    BlackBelt5112203 likes this.
  15. It's supposed to taste like that. If you don't like the onion flavor (I don't), it's not your type of IPA.
  16. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (440) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

120 Minute IPA. I'd like to consider myself a hophead and I have palate for almost anything, in fact I probably rate beers higher than most. I'm a big scotch/whiskey drinker too, so it's not like I can't handle my booze. I built this one up so much, took me forever to find it, then I waited about 6 months before I drank it, waiting for the right time. It was a 2012 bottle that I had purchased in the summer and drank in December. Didn't really taste any hops at all in this.

I'd like to have it on draft sometime to compare and maybe age one, but not sure I want to spend another $10. I'm hoping maybe I just had a bad bottle.....
  17. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

Age it two years and it becomes amazing. Assuming you like Old Ales...
  18. Nope, that is what it tastes like. Don't waste money chasing bitter hops in 120 cause you won't find them. I love the beer, but don't understand how people call it "hoppy."
  19. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Pfft... Pliny.

Most overhyped beer of all time. Don't get me wrong, it's a top tier DIPA, it's just we've got other top tier IPA options here in Texas that are just as good (if not better in some cases!)
  20. If he drain-poured a fresh one I doubt 6 months will change his mind. Expedition can go 6 years easily. Wait at least 2.
  21. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I've had bad experience with old ales. However, I think the ones I've had were spoiled or too old.
  22. ZD is one of the finest beers you will ever be able to buy in your life. This must be a joke, unless he got a bad one or a very old one.
  23. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I have to say Sucks. Perfectly enjoyable, and a good value at the price, but to me it was not above and beyond. I basically saw it and had to find out what all the excitement was about, but thought it good not great. I thought Sumpin Sumpin was a much better beer.
  24. Boulevard Chocolate Ale, though I believe it came out that there was bad batch, Could have been that time.
  25. LockeSD

LockeSD Aficionado (230) New York Mar 12, 2009

New Glarus Raspberry Tart and Belgian Red. More wine cooler than beer.
  26. Miruguy

Miruguy Aficionado (215) California Nov 22, 2010

Name them.
    BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  27. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Celebration Ale, Bell's Two Hearted, Alesmith IPA, SN Northern Hemisphere & Ten Fidy.
  28. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (375) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

They were going for syrupy and boozy.
  29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Your name is 'them'? Weird.
  30. Seriously though, can you name them? I'm curious about the plethora of TX IPA's that are just as good or better than Pliny. I'm from TX and have been living in MI for a while now and I've had friends get all excited about a TX brew and send me some and they are almost always underwhelming (except Ananke). St. A's Endeavor comes to mind.
  31. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (395) California Dec 17, 2012

Good to know. I'll add that to my list of things I'm not fond of in my beer:
    banana, clove, onion, and infection...
  32. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

That would be a long list if I could remember them all. lol ;) I rather not bash the beer.
  33. BierStein711

BierStein711 Savant (250) Illinois Oct 12, 2011

Chimay Blue: way too hyped up!

St Bernardus Abbot 12: Just not as good as others in that family of beers
  34. It's extremely hoppy, just not bitter. Not every hoppy beer is going to have a brash bitterness to it. 120 is full of hops, but as you know, is on the sweet side.
  35. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (450) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

Hill Farmstead Susan. Liked it, didn't love it and I'm surprised it's rated so high. Way to light and not enough bitterness. Also, faded so fast. Last pour from the growler was different than the first in one sitting with two friends.
  36. MagicJeff

MagicJeff Savant (300) Georgia Mar 21, 2012

Victory Storm King is one of the few acclaimed brews I've had trouble finishing.
  37. Of course I know that 120 uses crap loads of hops. It's all semantics of course, but the more people call 120 "hoppy" the more confusion is created IMO. There has to be a way to explain oily delicious hop flavors suspended in liquid candy that is better than "hoppy."
  38. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (450) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

I'll also add Smuttynose Durty to the list. Had it last night and absolutely hated the malt profile. I get what they were going for, but I just couldn't get over how muddled the flavors became and I love black IPAs.
  39. Stone Ruination Ale hands down
    Lipsntoes likes this.