1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AceMaster

AceMaster Aficionado (185) Iowa Jan 23, 2012

hopslam for sure theres no hops in the 2013 batchs i was hoping for a hop bomb and felt i wasted 18 bucks on a honey flavored ale

2. king75

king75 Savant (410) Michigan Jul 27, 2010

I just had a Stone's Russian Imperial Stout that I had aged for a year have to say that it tasted super watery and generic to me. Of course I did have Founder's Imperial Stout the night before and the comparison may be unfair, but compared to the Founders Imperial stout, Stones Russian imperial stout was just bland.

The other beer that I was not impressed with that was really hyped when I tried it was Cadillac Mountain Stout.

3. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (820) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Ruination 10th anniversary

Tasted like a hop shit in my mouth. Not good.

UnderJoath likes this.
  4. grynder33

grynder33 Savant (380) Wisconsin Jul 31, 2003

Traded for Pliney,had people bring it back from the West Coast,even brought some back from San Diego myself,and finally came to the conclusion that there is about 6-8 Midwest hop brews,I'd prefer to the Elder.And Westy 12,if you ever get a couple bottles of it,do a blind taste test with the other trappists Quads,tell me you blindly pick Westy out as being clearly superior. Both times I had Sexual Chocolate ,both I and the people I shared it with heard the sad trombone in the background. I will put the requried clause that all 3 are fine brews,just not worth overtrading and overspending for

Hopportunistic likes this.
  5. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

First Heady, now Pliny. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty great. But the hype machine is an unforgiving b!tch and turned what could have been the best beer I ever had into an also-ran.
    I will try to get some more again, but will not overtrade for it. :)

6. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

Dark Lord, Nugget Nectar, BA Sexual Chocolate.

7. HA !!!!!

8. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (330) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Hopslam. It was good, but I was expecting to be blown away based on all the love for it.

9. Sucks. It was alright, but nothing to get excited about. I'd rather drink Little Sumpin' Sumpin'.

10. Over the years I've learned most hype beers are hype, and not worth it.

Best beers are shelf sitting regulars.

cjoc83 likes this.
  11. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

i just had a bottle on 1 year old espresso oak aged yeti and it tasted exactly like yeti. no oak or coffee

12. Probably Dark Lord.

To it's defense I had it on a night where I sampled many world class beers and only had a little bit. I just remember thinking... "It's sweet..."

13. Recently Hopslam and Zombie Dust have underwhelmed me. Both are good, but was expecting a bit more with all the praise and hype they get.

14. Bell's Black Note : Had it on draft but was not impressed. Not sure if it was the sweetness but something was off
    Bell's The Oracle: I expected so much more from the makers of Two Hearted and HopSlam, especially since it was so hard to get
    SN - Hoptimum: Sorry but I could name 50 IPAs that I prefer
    Heady Topper: Don't get me wrong it was a quality brew but I just didn't like it as much as I expected. Maybe it was the can, maybe it was the "floaties" ......... the nose was a thing of beauty though
    Nugget Nectar: Another quality brew but didn't live up to the hype or worth the trouble to acquire

15. New Holland Dragons Milk, totally does not live up to the hype or the price tag.

16. HOMEPL8

HOMEPL8 Aficionado (220) Virginia Dec 26, 2010

This should be re-named the "don't get me wrong" thread.

17. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Last weekend did a large bottle share that included '10 &'12 Dark Lord......both a let down after a long time wanting to try these beers. '10 Ivan the Terrible was enjoyed more by everyone at the tasting.

Tick, tick

18. I never get any pine from Sculpin to me it's a huge grapefruit bomb. Big Eye is fairly pine forward though.

19. Sucaba was definitely worth my $15.
    Of course I wish it was less expensive.

20. Hop Stoopid and Duvel

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  21. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

hmm i remember getting pine. If it was grapefruit bomb for me then i probably wouldnt have listed it here. i love me some grapefruit. maybe i need to grab another and revisit.

22. anteater

anteater Advocate (565) Oregon Sep 10, 2012

Kentucky Breakfast Stout wasn't nearly as good as regular Breakfast stout.

Also, I want to love Orval so badly and I will continue to buy it but I just think that other belgian pale ale's with brett like Goose Island Matilda and Allagash Confluence do a much better job

23. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (405) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

Great Lakes Christmas taste like a shity coke to me.

24. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Savant (395) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Old Rasputin XV. I love all stouts... this was underwhelming. Plus, I didn't realize they used the thickest bottle in the world. An empty bottle feels the same as a full bottle.

25. Dare I say Westvleteren 12...But I've never been a big quad fan...

26. Sucaba for $15 would be totally worth it. What I traded for it, with shipping, was perhaps not.

27. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I agree with this. I wasn't overly-impressed with Orval. I mean, it was good. But near the bottom of the trappist ales for me.

28. Pliny the Elder is best when it's super fresh on tap...Sometimes out of the bottle it's mediocre...When I'm at the brewery I go for Happy Hops which I like better than The Elder...

29. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I personally think Yeti is one of the best beers you can buy. It is a fairly hoppy imperial stout. I don't think it improves with age. It's okay aged, but as the hops fades and oxidation occurs it gets a leathery taste that is interesting but not an improvment on fresh Yeti. I prefer strait Yeti without the added oak, coffee or chocolate flavors, but they're all excellant.

30. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

I've tried almost all of the yetis aged an I still prefer fresh oak aged yeti, that's one hella good beer.

EyePeeAyBryan and WickedSluggy like this.
  31. KingMoomie

KingMoomie Aficionado (105) Ohio Dec 6, 2007

Pretty much anything by Rough. Not saying they don't have any good beers, but I have learned to avoid their stuff when I see it on draft.

32. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 Savant (420) Illinois May 29, 2012

Lagunitas Sucks.

It's not bad, but it's probably not even one of my top 10 favorite Lagunitas' beers. Lil Sumpin', Hop Stoopid, Lucky 13, Cappuccino Stout, WTF, Brown Shugga', Censored, etc... are all better IMO. I don't get the hype at all...

SpunkyHopslammer likes this.
  33. Paulaner Hefeweizen which was Ok but it was more like a hef lite and I really like their helles beer a lot. Franziskaner is superior and the value for a good hef is unmatched, SN Kellerweis is better, and Weihenstephaner is just one of my favorite beers on earth.

JohnSnowNW likes this.
  34. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

westy 12 and pretty much anything except gumball head from 3 floyds

35. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

First thing that comes to mind is the extremely disappointing, watery, over-carbonated, no oak tasting Oak Barrel Stout by Dominion that I unfortunately bought a sixer of last night. It had an 89 by the BA members and a frigging 99 by the Bros (I gave it a 2.61, review here)! I thought it was underwhelming to say the least. I have 4 more and I have no idea what I'm going to do with them. Probably give them to friends to see if they like it a bit better. Also...

Hopslam. Year in and year out, I just do not get the hype surrounding that beer. Yeah, it's good, but there are more than a couple year-round DIPA's that are better, cheaper, and I don't have to hunt them down. You guys can go chase Hypeslam all you want...I'll stick with my Nugget Nectar.

Gift of the Magi by The Lost Abbey. It was my first (and only, actually) LA brew, and while good, it was a letdown.

The Bruery as a whole has an out of whack ratio of hype and reverence to quality of product. Not saying they make bad beer, they actually have a few I really love, but quite a few of their beers were merely average to me, and pretty much all of their stuff is overpriced.

36. Been mentioned several times, but Sucks. It's good, and I'd certainly buy some again, but its comparison to Hopslam is undeserved. Hopslam may also be overrated (and over priced), but it's miles more complex than Sucks.

37. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

St Bernardus Abt 12. I normally like quads just fine but I only got through half of a 12 oz bottle before drain pouring the rest.

38. Had Westy 12 and Rochefort 10 for the first time within the last 6 weeks and I just wasn't super into either of them. I'd much rather have St. Bernardus Abt 12. It being way more affordable is just the icing on the cake.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  39. lookrider

lookrider Savant (400) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Rochefort 10. It was really decent but I was expecting something transcendant. There are a bunch of BSDA'a and quads that I liked more. But I'd still rate it highly

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  40. Most of the stuff from 3Floyds (except Gumballhead)

Rochefort 10 tasted very odd to me, maybe I poured it too quickly and drank it with the sediment idk. I've got one more bottle in my cellar that I'll leave for a year or two. For now though it's towards the bottom of my quad list

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.