1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Yup... I felt the same way about Framboos too...
  2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

ZD is an APA, but I have to agree with the HT bit. I haven't had it but twice, but can't see what the huge appeal of it is. I've mentioned before that IIPA's don't really do much for me anymore, so I guess I can just blame it on that?
  3. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Mind telling me your thoughts on this one? I eye it up nearly every time I go to the beer store, but I never leave with it, haha. I always seem to find something I want to try more. What exactly didn't you like about it?
  4. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

You have no idea how badly I wished almost everyone in my area felt the same way as you about those two beers. You pretty much have to give HJs to get more than a four pack of them around here, if you're lucky enough to even find them. Less so with Backwoods. I think they make or ship a little bit more of it this way.
  5. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Masala Mama was a huge letdown for me... it was still a good beer but just didn't have that world class IPA feel to me...
    Texasfan549 likes this.
  6. eawolff99

eawolff99 Advocate (545) Colorado May 10, 2010

For me:

- King Henry (I've had it twice now and thought it was fine, but not deserving of the hysteria it garners, IMO)
    - Heady Topper (same here, the can, the floaties, it just doesn't do it for me...)
    - Anything Great Lakes (except BA Blackout, that one's pretty good)
  7. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Oddly enough I preferred the 2010 to the 2012 when I had them a month or two apart. The 2010 was much fuller in body and still had some pepper. the 2012 was lighter and lacked any and all pepper. I haven't been as impressed with Hunahpu lately and its disappointing. i used to love it. I don't think I would trade for it again.
  8. JoeDurp

JoeDurp Savant (255) Texas Nov 5, 2011

I look at this list and it makes me sad. I dont have access to 90% of the beers on here
  9. aasher

Which year? Because DL is NOT to be consumed fresh.
    ncaudle likes this.
  10. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (295) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

That's insane, your can must have been put through hell or super old. The fff beers you mention are very good pale ales, but to compare them to a DIPA is nonsense.
    Charlie_Hoss, DaveHack and JxExM like this.
  11. aasher

How? It's an Imperial Brown Ale with Hazelnut Coffee. It is what it says it is.
    crxy49, yamar68 and BleepBloopBlap like this.
  12. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

It was a 2012. It was consumed a couple of weeks ago.
  13. Stone 16th Anniversary. Very disappointing.
    mporter13, Sazz9, tcanaday and 4 others like this.
  14. hiphopj5

hiphopj5 Savant (395) Colorado Jan 29, 2010

KBS, hell pretty much every Founders beer I've had.
    Boilerfood and carteravebrew like this.
  15. aasher

Ahhh, yeah Dark Lords generally are best at two plus years IMO. The first vintage I ever had was the 2010 at 10 months old and I loved it but the beer has gotten less viscous and a little sweeter in the past two years IMO. The older vintages,namely 2007, are phenomenal.
  16. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Prove me wrong. Send one my way.;)
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  17. tectactoe

This makes me sad :(. I feel many of the Founder's brews live up to their hype well (FBS, Porter, Red's Rye PA).... But, in the end I guess that's nothing but a matter of personal opinion (which is what makes beer drinking so great). Unfortunately, I have yet to try KBS. That's my goal this year.
    dumptruck81 and FUNKPhD like this.
  18. Magic Hat period
    Just because you have cool labels and tap handles doesnt make your beer any more drinkable !
  19. aasher

If I had any left I would!
  20. What's with the hate on Stone RIS? It's readily available relatively cheap and awesome stuff. I revisited this beer recently after not having one in a few years and I had forgotten how good it is.

Honestly a lot of the Uber-Whales have been disappointing to me. Good but not as good as the hype effort to get them. Blabber, Dave Framboos ect. Over my years of whale hunting I am figuring out that there are equally good if not better beers that I don't have to shank someone to get a taste.
  21. FUNKPhD

Could you explain why you feel this way?
    SadMachine and kmatlack like this.
  22. BigTuna

BigTuna Disciple (65) Aug 4, 2012

Old Raspy - enjoyed it thoroughly, but it didn't blow me away. Expectations got the best of me.
    BCBS - waaay too much booze / black licorice for me. Very underwhelmed.

I think the hypetrain can potentially ruin a beer-drinking experience, so I try not to get caught up in all the craziness surrounding this or that brew.
    curtind1 likes this.
  23. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Off the top of the head..........

Darkness/Darklord

Cheers
    seplo likes this.
  24. hiphopj5

Part of it is probably the fact that I live in CO so each of their beers I've tried I had to get through trades or buy online and have it shipped. After going through that each I've tried still doesn't live up to beers I can buy locally. I've only tried KBS, Breakfast Stout, Old Curmudgeon, and Double Trouble though. Actually I did try CBS like 3 years ago at GABF and from what I remember it was really freaking good but that's even harder for me to get.
  25. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Heady. Big whup.
    mattsander and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  26. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

You gave Breakfast Stout a 3? I mean if you are a fan of stouts containing coffee I just don't see how that is possible. But to each their own I suppose.
  27. FUNKPhD

A beer wasteland, if you will lawl
    BigCheese likes this.
  28. lol... I agree. Breakfast Stout is another old friend I revisted recently (a lot recently) and I forgot how damn good that beer was. Awesome stuff.
  29. hiphopj5

I'll take Espresso Oak Aged Yeti all day and even though so many on this site will disagree give it to me with 1-2 years of age on it. IMHO.
    curtind1 and Shilt like this.
  30. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I have never ever been let down by a Founders brew, but I have to say Frangelic Mountain was a first. The hazelnut was overdone, and it tasted like they had dumped a ton of artificial sweetener in it. Also, the bourbon barrel shipwreck porter by Arcadia. Grabbed one when fresh, and it was almost undrinkable. Tasted like a porter with 2 shots of bourbon poured in. I will say that had I been cellaring at that point, I would have put a few back, and I imagine they would be drinking fantastic right about now; but I don't like when brewery's put out beers that aren't good fresh. There's nothing wrong with releasing a beer meant to cellar, but I should also be able to enjoy it fresh IMO.
    curtind1 and FUNKPhD like this.
  31. Someone already said it, but CBS was a let down. It's just too sweet.
    Webbedheel and aasher like this.
  32. I've never been let down by a founders brew either. They really probably do have the best lineup, and I hate having to rate breweries.

That being said, I really was let down by midnight sun TREAT and also Maui coconut porter.
  33. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I'll say Westy12. Nothing against it. Its certainly an awesome brew. I just got my expectations a little out of whack when I prepared myself to drink the "best beer in the world". I'd gladly take a Rochefort or St Bernadus before I would seek out a Westy again.
    yeti123, SSEngelbrecht and BrewBoone like this.
  34. Thank you! I have not liked anything I've had from them either, including Speedway. Never had BA Speedway though.
  35. tectactoe

Espresso OA Yeti is damn good, but it's quite a bit more expensive (15$ for a 22-oz, compared to FBS @ $9-10 for a 4-pack), at least where I live. Also, to me, FBS is a little more drinkable. One Yeti and I'm done and have to move on to something lighter. I could put down a FBS 4-pack without any trouble lol.
    curtind1 likes this.
  36. Zombie Dust, Zombie Dust and Zombie Dust. Wanna fight about it?
  37. Um since when is Magic Hat highly acclaimed? I agree theyre mediocre at best. They might be one of the most criticized/hated on breweries on BA.

Roxy Rolles, Circus Boy, and a couple of their (Lucky Kat/Blind Faith) IPA's have been decent. Most is sub par IMO.
  38. I agree with almost every beer named so far in this thread. Especially Kate The Great.

Got to try Heady Topper recently too. It was certainly incredibly hoppy, but too astringent and muddled.
  39. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

HT is amazing and the floaties are there because it's non filtered. If you love IPA/DIPA's how can you not love HT? If your just ok with IPA's I might be able to understand, but again to each his own.
    JxExM likes this.
  40. FUNKPhD

I like single-hop session beers. Can't think of a much better way to get good feel for hops other than infusing vodka.