1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm going to say it (and probably get bashed) but here it goes...... Heady Topper. I had it on 2 separate occasions and it just didn't work for me. Tried it out of the can also but when poured into a glass I just found it not very appealing. I wanted to love it but couldn't. Let the lambasting begin!

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  2. Can I dislike it more than once? Enjoy By is one of my favorite beers hands down. Nugget Nectar is a very solid beer also, but not in the same category. Also, the person who said HF earlier, BLASPHEMOUS! Kidding, but I can't see it. Every beer by them is one of the best I've had for each style.

For me, I think recently it was Pliny. When I first had it I was like oh wow. Then a year later a few weeks ago having it on tap at Monk's in Philly I was underwhelmed (then got a 750 of Iris, made up for it). Pliny is a well brewed beer, but it is not a mind blower Not that it wasn't, but today with everyone taking a stab at that style, there's going to be better. So for that beer to still be so highly rated is beyond me.

3. What DIPAs do you like? It's not like a lot of DIPAs, but it remains at the very top of the list for me. I've had it less than 24 hours old and I couldn't believe a beer could be that good.

4. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

Rochefort 10, it tasted like vomit when I had it. I need to drink another one in order to make a final verdict.

5. Sucks is my current favorite. I like alchemy hour, Pte, hopslam, jai-alai (not DIPA I guess) and head hunter to name a few.

I asked the guy I traded with if it was fresh and he said it was. I have another one coming this week so ill give it a 3rd attempt.

6. 46andBrew

46andBrew Aficionado (105) Indiana Mar 10, 2011

Dark Lord. Too sweet for me.

7. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Fresh Dark Lord...here's hoping some cellaring will bring it around.

Lagunitas Sucks...bored me to tears.

nrs207 likes this.
  8. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (420) New York Feb 11, 2009

My first highly acclaimed drainpour was Marshall Zhukov. I tried it again the next day, to see if lower carbonation would help. I just felt like I rather be drinking water. Too sweet for me.

9. Twodox

Twodox Disciple (50) Virginia Dec 30, 2012

BCBS> Very dissapointed after finally getting one. ALmost a drain pour....DFH Bitches Brew better than BCBS. I've brewed whisky stouts better than BCBS.

10. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

^^^lol Who'da thunk it?

BCBS

11. I found the Old Rasputin Bourbon Barrel Stout to be a little underwhelming, especially for the price point. However, I found the 2013 Firestone Sucaba to be really good! Side note, I got my hands on some 2009 Older Viscosity today! Excited for that one!

Best bourbon forward beers thus far... Bourbon County Stout - 10/10. Fremont Bourbon Abominable Ale - 10/10.

12. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 16, 2013

Sierra Nevada Torpedo

13. darky

darky Savant (260) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

Delirium Tremens

It was good, but not even close to deserving the hype it had at the time.

14. Le Bleu. I've been underwhelmed by a lot of beers, but for the hype this was the biggest surprise let down.

15. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Gotta say... I've never been horribly blown away by Founders Breakfast Stout.

With all the praise around here, I thought I'd get my hair blown back! It's not a bad beer (probably an 8/10), but I just don't get the hype surrounding it. It's a nice coffee stout, but I can think of about 5 coffee stouts I'd have before it.

16. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (555) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

fresh black tuesday...a hot mess.

17. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Abrasive, was just not for me. Sucks I found OK, maybe good, but not great.

18. Rainier

I thought hop stupid was pretty bad

sbxx likes this.
  19. Rainier

Wait what?
    It's like 6 bux for a 22 oz.

20. bobhits

bobhits Savant (455) Kentucky Oct 31, 2006

7 for their 4 pack? I'm might see that as a top beer per buck at that. I think it's close to double that here.

21. Harpoon Leviathan and Arcadia Hop Rocket were two of the worst IPA's I have ever had

22. Bitch whine bitch bitch whine 90 min bitch bitch whine...Just getting in on the action .

23. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I wasn't impressed the first time I had it... but god damn does it get better everytime I have a bottle.

Rfunk likes this.
  24. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

120 Minute IPA was a big disappointment. However, Pliny the Younger was not.

hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  25. Cenosillicaphobe

I gotta second the 120...cuz holy shit.

26. That works.

SenorHops likes this.
  27. I apologize for the fact that you and I don't have the same taste.

In all seriousness though, this is what is kind of fun about this thread. Everyone has different tastes. I liked EnjoyBy, but not to the point as most others. Similarly, for the first time in my life ever, I've felt like a beer was not as good as it has been in year's past (Nugget Nectar). Also, it seems I'm in the rare camp that feels that Pliny the Elder is a more enjoyable beer than Heady Topper (which I still rate very very highly).

Just goes to show ya - diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!

28. I had a similar experience. I liked it, but I was shocked to see it so far up the BA Top 250 list. Also, someone else mentioned Wookey Jack. I loved all the other FW beers that I've had and was surprised by how mediocre this one tasted to me.

29. Yeah I'm glad. Imagine if everyone drinking Miller decided to love Heady Topper or any craft not Sam Adams and maybe Sierra Nevada for that matter. We'd never get any!

30. lic217

lic217 Savant (435) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

I am 90% sure it was at most 7 and change. I will check the next time I am in the store, but it was not even $10 I am sure of that.

31. sbxx

sbxx Savant (465) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

Surly Abrasive

I enjoy IPAs but this one, to me, is too bitter, too raw and... too Abrasive.. Lol

Definitely not a bad beer by any means. It's just not for me.

32. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Sorry for the older thread bumping...

But I seriously just tried Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue), and I could only think of this thread.

I know this beer gets a lot of street cred on BA, and, being a fan of most Belgian/Belgian-style beers, I was looking forward to giving it a shot. After spending $11.50 on a bomber (!!!!!!) for the opportunity to try it, let's just say I was *really* looking forward to giving it a shot. Maybe it was just buyer's remorse, but this beer just does not do it for me. Partly it was the overcarbonation (good lord, I've felt less fizz in a Coors Light...is this normal?), and maybe it was the fact that clouds didn't part and angels didn't sing when I poured it into my snifter like I thought they might after reading some BA reviews. I wouldn't say I hate it...but I'm not looking forward to trying to finish the bottle (even with the help of a friend). Glad I tried it...but still disappointed by it.

Zimbo likes this.
  33. I would say the only one that really shocked me was Dark Lord 2010.And I wasn't underwhelmed by it but I didn't find it much better then it's predecessor, was Older Viscosity.

34. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Rochefort 8 and Chimay Blue

both are clearly well-constructed beers ... both have tons of taste and character ... both are clearly not my style, and all I could think as I drank them was, "I will never drink this beer again."

35. IPA1978

IPA1978 Aficionado (240) Missouri Aug 10, 2009

Considering its only 3.99 a 22oz bottle, hop stoopid is one of the best ipa`s.......

36. IPA1978

Dogfish head 60, 90 and 120 minute ipa was the biggest beer disapointments I have ever had.

hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  37. IPA1978

I was dissapointed in 12, but I have one ageing to try in a year or so

38. Cenosillicaphobe

Seriously...like...I appreciate some of their beers...and what they bring to the craft beer community as a whole...but they just don't do it for me for 12oz IPAs anymore...90 is decent...but other things make me happier overall.

39. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I wouldn't say vomit... but it was a yawn for me... as was 8. No deisre to ever buy another bottle of either.

40. This thread underwhelms me. Seems like every good beer has underwhelmed somebody. Could post this very opposite topic and get the very same results. Everything i read was a pretty decent beer. Too high of expectations I guess. Happened to me with Pliny the Elder. Had me worried, until plenty of beers exceeded my expectations. Sucks, nugget nectar, heady topper, every Stone beer, black butte porter, parabola, BA Old Rasputin, Siren Noir...too many to name. Just enjoy the beer.

Kerrie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.