Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've had it twice. The first time was amazing, the second time was not so good. Maybe it's one of those beers...

2. DanH83

DanH83 Aficionado (220) New York Feb 14, 2013

DARK LORD! The variations are where it's at, but straight up, no bueno. The nose was awesome, the taste, messy?

3. Absolut

Absolut Advocate (500) California Sep 19, 2011

2009 Dark Lord. there I said it. Smite me.

4. Barrel Aged Abraxas was kinda janky.

Most recent Framboos was good but nothing incredibly mind blowing. Hommage is more better.

Blabaer fades pretty quickly and CW 15 tastes like Parabola on tootsie rolls.

5. Rainier

Rainier Savant (280) California Dec 20, 2012

does hop stoopid count? I hated it.

ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  6. Lagunitas Sucks. I prefer the Brown Shuga. That is all.

7. bud light chelada

8. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (675) Washington Apr 30, 2008

Sculpin. I don't know if it was just a bad bottle or what, but when I had it, it was less than mediocre.

9. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Uhhhhh you didn't realize this would suck before your 1st sip LOL.

10. Probly Pliny, liked it but it still underwhelmed.

11. was kidding. dont even think this is in canada. but in general any time a beer is ultra hyped you will end up disappointed. case in point westy 12. had it a few times, thought it was great but not 'best in the world' like everywhere advertises. rochefort 10 or abt12 are just as good and half as much and 100x easier to find

12. No beer rests on its past reputation like Chimney Blue. Easily the most overrated beer on this site. When I think of what it was I probably come pretty close to hating what has become a fIzzy hollow mess of mediocrity.

13. SNReject

SNReject Aficionado (115) Minnesota Jun 26, 2012

Can we please skip the ris, bas, and barlywine bs? Honestly all these beers are better if you just wait a bit.I wanna know what what sucks fresh. For example. Founders (not at all infallible) All Day IPA. Horrific. Oh boy it smelled nice, then I put it in my mouth.

14. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (845) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Hill Farmstead E. was not amazing in any sense of the word.

jdamaso84 likes this.
  15. I retract an earlier comment I made in this thread about being underwhelmed by CCB's Cognac Sweet Stout. I had it out of the bottle (as opposed to on-tap at a festival) and it was excellent.

lonewolfcry likes this.
  16. Rogorama

Rogorama Savant (355) Indiana Sep 4, 2012

17. Devil's Backbone Eight Piont IPA and New Belgium's Fat Tire.

18. tonton

tonton Aficionado (155) Hong Kong Mar 10, 2013

I've tried 10 different Belgian Ales in the last month, and the worst by far was Duvel.

SometimesIfart likes this.
  19. Maybe it's something about PA distribution, but I definitely agree with you on Two-hearted and pretty much all the DFH "minute" series of IPAs. Two-Hearted in particular fails to impress. I just can't understand what it is that people like so much about this beer. The DFH beers are better, IMHO, but still don't really Wow me the way the do some folks. I guess that's why it's a good thing there are thousands of beers to choose from. ;)

20. gueuzedreg

gueuzedreg Advocate (540) Colorado Jan 18, 2013

Beatification and Temptation underwhelmed back to back this weekend. I think living next to Crooked Stave has spoiled me.

21. BCBVS has been trading huge lately and I was unimpressed when I tried it fresh. Way too vanilla forward. Fast forward to this weekend. Had it again and time had really treated it right. It was an absolute delight.

22. tonton

I must be the only person who somewhat agrees with this statement. This is the only Belgian I've tried that has that yeasty overhopped smell that I get when I drink a Euro lager. IMO Duvel is blown out of the water by St. Bernardus Abt 12, not as good as (the lighter) Blonde du Mont Blanc, and is not even as good as the highly comparable Pauwel Kwak. None of those have that lagery smell and taste. Maybe "fart" and I have some kind of similar taste bud that is unusual, that just doesn't like whatever is in Duvel. Or maybe we both got a bad one? They sell a lot of Duvel here, and I bought it in a high volume supermarket, so it's not likely that it was skunked.

I'm partial to an English Pale Ale, if that explains anything.

SometimesIfart likes this.
  23. I recently tried it again, And it was a fresh bottle because my local craft guy had just gotten them off the truck and it still tasted the same. I've given up on trying to understand whatever is so amazing about Duvel. I mean don't get me wrong, I could have it as an easy drinker, But as a complex craft beer it completely fails. At $12 for a 750ml bottle, I'd rather just drink a Heineken. Since in my opinion they seem like they could be from the same style.

24. tonton

Well, I wouldn't rather drink a Heineken, but even at the same price as a Duvel, I'd rather drink a Kwak.

25. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (515) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Black OPs

26. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (570) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Kate the Great

27. Not sure how much these were Highly Acclaimed, but two that spring to mind for me are both DFH brews.

The first was the Pearl Jam beer. A lot of hype, limited release and it tasted like PBR.

The other I tried from them was this weekend and it was the Rizing Bhines one. I don't know if it's because I tried it after an Abrasive and a Furious, but it tasted like a lager to me more than an IPA.

28. Gotta like a retract...you got my respect.

I just had Old Rasputin RIS out of the keg - pretty fucking bland.
    I don't know what all the hype is about - but I'll reserve total judgement until I've had it from the bottle.

29. hopfen

hopfen Disciple (70) California Mar 10, 2013

Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Mouthfeel is so bad, had to literally drink it like it was medicine.

tonton likes this.
  30. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (635) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Hopslam 2012.

31. Darklord, and Pliny...

32. tonton

Yeah, I was so amazed by Sierra Nevada Stout that Torpedo was a total disappointment.

33. Samuel Smith's nut brown didn't exactly give me an erection either. It reminded me of nuts soaked in Jose Cuervo Black.

34. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout. Drank it a few months ago, it just tasted like liquor. Also, not sure if this one counts as 'highly acclaimed' but Sprecher Black Bavarian has a 91 rating on BA and I absolutely hated it.

35. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (845) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Baller Stout. Less than the sum of its parts, for sure.

pixieskid likes this.
  36. baconman91

baconman91 Advocate (505) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

3 off the top of (my) head are:

-Hopslam (which I know may cause a Whirlwind of Hatred towards me. I'm sorry the last I had it..it wasn't all that good, Esp. for the $ - there are Simply just better out there). I think I've figured it out though..not Wild about the Honey in it..same as with Great Lakes and their "Alchemy Hour".

-Zombie Dust..which (is) Good, but for all the Hoopla', I just expected a little More.

-Troegs: Nugget Nectar (again, pretty good..but Not for the $) --- when I say Not for the $$, its NOT by any means because I mind (spending)..just bought a 4pk of KBS for $21, so..

just my opinion though & everyones Does vary. I just feel for all the Stink & Hype those Highly acclaimed brews have surrounding them, ehh.. & I do LOVE my IPA's.

37. atomic

atomic Savant (455) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Bell's black note. Had it on tap if that amounts for anything.

38. Rochefort 10, it seemed watery and not very flavorful to me. I will try it again one day and hopefully it will be better.

Hermthegerm likes this.
  39. Dan3279

Dan3279 Savant (315) Ohio Dec 21, 2010

Abyss (2011) I drank it 14 months after I received the bottle and was really disappointed. I have one bottle left not sure if I should try to trade it or sit on it longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.