1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

:eek:

szmnnl99, HomeBrewed, FUNKPhD and 3 others like this.
  2. tectactoe

That's the thing - it IS subjective, and so there is no such thing as universally "good" beer when it comes to taste or preference. I know Stone IRS is fairly cheap, but it's just a bit too sweet for me. As I said before, it's not bad by any means (my review is still @ 4.1), but from the reviews and things I had heard, I was expecting it to crack my top 10, and it didn't. Perhaps it's unfair that I didn't subdue my preconceived notions before trying the beer, but that's much easier said than done.

3. klinger

klinger Aficionado (180) Ohio Oct 9, 2012

Hennepin. Maybe I just haven't developed a taste for that style, though.

4. It's been mentioned a few times here, and I'd have to agree: Ten Fidy. Too much anise / liquorice flavor, basically overran any dark roasted coffee flavor I look for an RIS. I can appreciate it's uniqueness, but it's not for me.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  5. Pretty much everything from Stone, especially sublimely self righteous and their IRS. Heady Topper was also very disappointing, but I think my can was pretty old.

TheDayIsMine likes this.
  6. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

Old Rasputin for me.

MudDrinker likes this.
  7. This is a tough topic for me, because unfortunately it's just hard to avoid the hype train with some of these beers.

I think of beers like Bell's Black Note, Millenium Gueuze, Jean Chris Nomad, and a few others beers that if someone were to put in front of me blind, I'd say "wow, that's a really nice beer." But instead, I end up evaluating them relative to hype, instead of on their own merits. It's a problem.

cjoc83, Chaney, curtind1 and 3 others like this.
  8. TheDayIsMine

TheDayIsMine Zealot (80) New York Jan 6, 2012

Not a fan of Sublimely Self Righteous or Ruination.

9. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

Darkness

seplo likes this.
  10. I dont get two hearted. it sucks! did i just get a bad bottle? i'm not really sure but i find it really mineraly/bitter in a bad way. not a complex hop taste. no balance.

MickJ0nes likes this.
  11. Stone Arrogant Bastard was overwhelming as hell the first time I had it at The Pony Bar in Manhattan. I was not very familiar with anything outside of stouts and porters, so I didn't really understand what was going on. A few years later, I gave it another try and loved it.

curtind1 likes this.
  12. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I've never really been a big fan of Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop Ale..

SlowWideTurns likes this.
  13. SaintJonah

SaintJonah Aficionado (230) Ohio Feb 11, 2009

Have you only had one bottle? I'd say it's a better chance than not that you got a bad bottle. I find it neither "mineraly" nor "bitter in a bad way".

To stay on track: Nugget Nectar. Huge let down. Just not my thing, I guess. Nothing "bad" about it...just underwhelming.

14. Stone Ruination and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

I also have to say Surly Darkness. I just don't think it's that special, but it's certainly far from bad. It's just that I can get other Russian Imperial Stouts that taste practically the same for a fraction of the price and more of it.

15. blatchy

blatchy Aficionado (100) New York May 3, 2010

Younger, for me, was one of the few beers that fully lived up to the hype.

16. blatchy

I think Flower Power and The Kind do more for me than Nugget Nectar. Very good beer, not ungodly great.

17. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I had it for the first time earlier this year when it was released. I didn't have to wait in a crazy line or anything, just sat down like a normal person and ordered it. I did a sided by side with Maharajah, PtE, and PtY. I enjoyed Maharajah much more than either of those beers. Younger wasn't bad but seeing the lengths that some people go to just for a taste is craziness, but I was with a few guys that have had it a few times before and they said it tasted "off" this year, not as good as they remembered it.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  18. tectactoe

I would recommend trying it again. Bell's label each batch on the bottle, so you'll be able to tell exactly how fresh it is. Two-Hearted isn't incredibly complex in it's profile, but that's one of the things I like about it - it remains fairly simple, but it does it so well.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  19. Already chimed in earlier, but I just remembered that Imperial Stout Trooper was a bit of a let down for me as well.

20. Majority of Stone Brews.
    Haven't have much access to bomber distributed brews but their primary flight of beers is just boring.

21. Douggo

Douggo Savant (295) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

It was CBS for me. I think I'm a sucker for the hype, and need to remind myself that it's just beer.

Shmuffalo and FUNKPhD like this.
  22. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Definitly Dark Lord

23. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (265) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I wasn't a huge fan of Marshal Zhukov or Speedway Stout. I found them very boozy and the burnt malt character quite offputting, and I'm evidently not too keen on the syrupy, borderline flat mouthfeel.

24. stone arrogant bastard and anything sixpoint

25. Auracom

Auracom Savant (300) Illinois Nov 5, 2010

Love me some Bruery, but Melange #3 is probably my #1 disappointment ever. I'm sorry but White Oak should never be blended in anything, ever.

26. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (400) California Feb 15, 2011

I'll probably be lynched for this, but...
    Pliny the Elder. Just don't see what the big deal with that beer is. And I LOVE DIPAs, and try as many as I can get my hands on (and yes, I've had Elder fresh - about 2 weeks old - and I've had it on tap). Maybe if I ever get to try Younger it will blow me away, but Elder is just "good" in my book, not "great".

grynder33 and starrdogg like this.
  27. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (655) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Torpedo is a well below average hoppy beer (IPA/EIPA/DIPA/whatever you call it) in my opinion.

BigBarley likes this.
  28. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (360) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

I just don't get comparing a dipa to a pale ale, that's like someone who doesn't like strong beer saying they prefer guiness to bourbon county. What other beers would you rate above heady that are actually comperable? Btw I never said it was the best, it's not, but it's damn good.

29. blatchy

You know, my experience possibly softened from the hype build-up. I had mine in SF in 2011 at a bar off the beaten path, not a long wait at all, had three pints, and a truly pleasant experience with some mellow but enthused patrons. I think in any other setting, the mad rush would have affected my overall experience.

bifrost17 likes this.
  30. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Pliny shouldn't be hyped because it's the best, it should be hyped because it's a classic. Much like old Run DMC albums, or a 67 Shelby GT500. There will always be better, but there's only one classic.

People trading for it won't be getting the most mind blowing beer, they'll be getting a perfectly balanced IIPA and a history lesson.

Fux, jIsh, bifrost17 and 1 other person like this.
  31. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

BCBS and Two Hearted were letdowns for me.

Maine Beer Lunch has become a letdown as well. The last few batches have been pretty substandard compared to earlier versions.

32. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

Black note

Stouttyme likes this.
  33. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Blabaer (even the best vintage I've had is mediocre)
    Every.Single.West.Coast.BA.Stout. (Black Tuesday, Chocolate Rain, BA Speedway, every Eclipse....they all suck. Only one worth drinking out there is Abyss.)
    Kate The Great (You would have to pay me to drink this toilet water again)
    Pliny (Blind Pig is better)

ArchEnemyBrew likes this.
  34. I think I overhyped Pliny and was underwhelmed the first time I had it, expecting it to be heads and shoulders above other great DIPAs I had previously. However in subsequent experiences, I understood the brilliance. The balance keeps you coming back for more.

durlta and theGlasstronaut like this.
  35. Brooklyn Black Chocolate 2011-12. I like beers that are a little boozy, but this didn't sit well for me. I have a 2010-11 bottle that I might be opening soon. Hopefully it'll be better with an extra year on it.
    Surly Furious. It was an extra in a trade and I was super excited to try it but it was the definition of underwhelming. Just meh. I had a Surly Wet an hour before and I thought it was fantastic so maybe that didn't help.

How is anything Magic Hat in this thread? Which of their beers is highly acclaimed?

36. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

Plus we all know that people on here rate rare things much higher ...

37. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

KBS and PtE. It's all about taste though.

38. Stone's Double Bastard. Just had a bottle of it yesterday and was disappointed after anticipating it to be at least above Arrogant Bastard.

39. the bottle of 11 i had last night was much better than when i bought it last year, though i liked it fresh as well.

40. Wouldn't the history lesson be the Blind Pig or the one he did at his first brewery (the name escapes me)? Pliny isn't an old beer or even Vinnie's first DIPA. Hell DFH was doing 90 minute in the early 2000's which predates Pliny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.