Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeseppy

joeseppy Savant (295) Illinois Oct 20, 2012

Recently Burton Baton..find to be cloying. And tonight I taped into a Stone IRS
    with a 'meh'.

2. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but I believe that Brooklyn Chocolate Stout is quite a bit overrated. Just seems waay too light to be a RIS for me..The light mouthfeel seems to hide the flavors a bit as it is a little too watery in my opinion.

3. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

New Belgium, Lips of Faith Super IPA. I suppose I'll get it handed to me for this, but before you do, know that I thought it was good, and I liked it lots and even would have again, I just wasn't like, over-the-moon with this one; you know, all immediately scheming and everything in how to obtain more of the stuff like stat, and hoard it, and carefully monitor inventories for weeks, and move it about in the fridge, and brag about it to my craft friends, or anything like that. And it was, I must say, distinctive as all get out.

But I was minorly confused/perplexed about a slightly out of balance delivery of one to two super loud bitter peaks. It had all the right bitter wavelengths here sure, but the amplitude was just way too much on a few of these, drowning out the subtler tones...after a time, exhausting me. Weirdly so then, after reviewing this, to read the other reviews, and find that my interpretation of it seemed just slightly out of step with the trend. Go figure.

tcanaday likes this.
  4. Blabaer - tasted like sour blueberries encased in plastic wrap.

5. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

PtE is a great beer, but I just don't consider it being the leaps and bounds ahead of other ipas as other people swear.

6. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Curmudgeon's Better Half.

It was good but not what I was expecting. The Sucaba I traded for it was much better!

7. BCBS. Maybe I just don't like bourbon enough to fully appreciate this beer, but the bourbon character is just way too over the top.

8. jhatomic

jhatomic Aspirant (45) Illinois Sep 13, 2012

I'm with the Zombie Dust hating. I don't get why everyone gets huge boners for this beer. It tastes like a watered down Alpha King. Every time I drink one I think, "Man, I wish I had an Alpha King".

JohnnyHopps likes this.
  9. CincyTK

CincyTK Aficionado (205) Ohio Dec 21, 2010

send me the rest. I adore that brew

KingMoomie likes this.
  10. Just had my first Founders Harvest... great hop presence, but overall nothing sets this apart from cheaper ipas like hopdevil or perpetual for me. Likely will pass on this brew in future years.

11. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (420) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

haha I would but it wasn't mine, was at an office party.

12. Hopslam is the first one that comes to mind. Not even sure it's in my top 50 Ipa/IIPA's. It's not bad, but I don't think it deserves the hype.

cjoc83 likes this.
  13. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

the funniest thing about dark lord is that the bottle claims it is viscous like motor oil but when it poured it was super watery and was closer to almost a barley wine for me. It was very solid the first time I had it. Second time was a cloying mess. Now of course I can't speak to the barrel aged and the ultra hyped bourbon barrel vanilla bean dark lord, if anyone wants to give me one so I can hate on it , i'd be happy to!

14. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (395) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Pretty much everything by Stone that I've had. I thought Arrogant Bastard was straight up gross.

ellswrth likes this.
  15. Offa

Offa Advocate (540) California Feb 6, 2008

There have been too many to remember easily but some stick out:

almost every Oskar Blues beer I've had - Old Chub in particular (I find it bland and one-dimensional, yet exceedingly heavy and oily)

Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard, IPA and Ruination

Boon Gueuze and Framboise (I find them thin and exceedingly dry and bland)

Alaskan Smoked Porter

16. Fresh Expedition Stout and BCS. I havent had an aged Expy, but fresh BCS is like drinking rubbing alcohol to me. Even worse is Black OPS.

17. Sierra Nevada Celebration. First time having it in 2 or 3 years. For a fresh beer, this sure doesn't taste fresh. Has a skunky flavor to it, the same in their Pale Ale that I just don't care for.

Really overrated beers from them, IMHO.

ThisWangsChung likes this.
  18. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Definitely drink an aged Expedition if/whenever you can. I feel like I'm in the minority that likes it fresh (I don't LOVE it, but have and will certainly knock one or two back), though aged... yes. Yes yes yes.

19. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Victory Storm King. I flat out can't stand the beer. It tastes harshly burnt and bitter.

On a positive note, HopDevil is a great beer. My favorite beer from Victory.

cjoc83, MagicJeff and cityofFestivals like this.
  20. Stone Arrogant Bastard. Gotta give them credit, the extended diatribe on the bottle stating how arrogant they are, and how I would probably not like their beer was spot on. I hated it.

21. Same here. Most of the beers I've had from Stone have been great. Maybe outdated or re-chilled?

22. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

Backwoods Bastard.

23. Corbet

Corbet Savant (340) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

It's not really shocking to see so many beers being overhyped to a lot of people - nowadays it's easy to find a similar beer in your area instead of hunting/trading for beers that generate hype on the forums.

Anyways, here are my picks, two of which haven't been brought up as far as I know:

Ten Fidy (doesn't get better with age, had next to Zhukov and Zhukov was unanimously favored among my group of friends)

Abyss (had a vintage of this at DLD next to a Ivan the Terrible. Ivan was preferred by everybody around us)

Imperial Stout Trooper (was really disappointed with this, got a "meat" flavor, had a Parabola afterward that was way better)

---

Needless to say, I won't be seeking out any Ten Fidy or Stout Trooper. I do get a bottle of Abyss every year from a trading partner, maybe it will wow me at some point in the future.

24. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Celebration is hella overrated (and this is coming from someone who loves the shit out of fresh Torpedo). It wasn't exactly terrible, but had too much of a bitter dish soap quality for my tastes.

Having said that, I'll definitely pick up some of the 2012 batch.

25. I prefer Torpedo. I guess one good thing is it's pretty cheap (SN products)

26. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I sipped a 2010 DL earlier today, and the only DL I sipped fresh was a 2011, but will say that age does make it more enjoyable. I would also like to add that I really don't like beers I have to let sit around before they're acceptable to sip. I've never been to DLD, but it sounds awesome, but I don't think I would go for the DL.

27. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

You must not be worthy.

FUNKPhD, kmatlack and TongoRad like this.
  28. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (370) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

DFH Indian Brown Ale. Great Divide Titan IPA.

29. meigs3

meigs3 Aficionado (225) Alabama Nov 21, 2009

Beers that come from local craft brewers and people recommend them to you just because they are local. A lot of them are real crappy.

30. trixdout

trixdout Savant (265) New Jersey Aug 12, 2011

I might have to jump on the band wagon with stone beers and sixpoint. Sixpoint (for a microbrew they are) needs to stop using the same base for all their different styles of beers. I mean Sweet Action, Bengali Tiger, and Righteous all taste similar with their respective difference based on the style they are to represent.

I noticed about some beers that I'll try it for the first time and they are damn amazing, but once I taste them for a second time, even when I'm in the mood for the style and want to drink it, the brew does not hit the same notes like they did for the first time. Pretty much it becomes just a plain brew that I don't see the hype in anymore.

31. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Fresh Expedition Stout for me and anything wet hopped (although I haven't tried Founder's yet because I can't buy a single).

32. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Is it safe to say Dark Lord 2012?
    It was my first DL. I thought I'd be possessed by some evil spirit when I drank it. Never happened. Totally underwhelmed. o_O

33. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Bud Light!

beercanman and DasBorn like this.
  34. shuggy

shuggy Savant (310) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2006

Heady Topper. I'm guessing it's the aroma that gets everyone so excited. It really does smell fantastic. Unfortunately the taste is completely average.

Were you recently in western PA by chance?

35. BOLTZ7555

BOLTZ7555 Aficionado (135) Arizona Feb 24, 2007

Westy 12 (Rochefort 10 is equally as good and more readily available), Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock, Blabaer, Elder, and J & J Roze were all disappointments. Get ready for the rants.

36. DasBorn

DasBorn Disciple (50) Washington Sep 30, 2012

Same here. I haven't met a Stone beer that I haven't at least liked if not loved, but I love the shit out of hoppy beers.

jrnyc likes this.
  37. World Wide Stout. Unless it has about 7 years on it, it's just a messy mix of booze and terrible flavors.

38. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

FBS. I tried it on tap before the whole "does this beer suck this year?" thread and my thought was "Wow, this is really thin for a stout..."
    I got a few bottles as extras a couple weeks later, so I figured I'd try it out of the bottle and see if it was any better. It wasn't. A few weeks after that I set up a trade with a Montreal BA who was coming down to Waterbury and wanted to score some FBS, so I grabbed a couple 4 packs for him and ended up giving my second extra bottle to him. He gave me a bunch of Peche Mortel, which made me much happier.

39. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Ten Fidy was also a disappoinent for me. Personally I found Samuel Smith IS better. I might get attacked for that latter comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.