Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CosmicTom

CosmicTom Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2012

Arrogant Bastard, and Three Philosophers to a slightly lesser degree. Love Quads, but not the taste of spoiled cherries and incomprehensible tart pomegranate.

2. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (305) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

CBS. It's phenomenal but basically just sweet, very thick and syrupy KBS. I prefer KBS

FUNKPhD likes this.
  3. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I have to say the most underwhelming beer I have ever had has to be Boulevard Tank 7. Just didnt do it for me.

4. Schlafly Pumpkin Ale, Kabert, BBPt5th, The Tide and its takers and Consecration to name a few.

5. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Pliny The Elder, Founders Breakfast Stout, Every beer by Lagunita's.

6. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I agree with that too. I got 8 and 10 at the same time and tried them one after another and I was very unimpressed with 10 compared to its hype. I thought 8 blew it out of the water and for $1 less I'll buy 8 all day.

CORKSCREWFISH and PittBeerGirl like this.
  7. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I have to disagree with the PtE opinions (never had Younger and not about to try). This is one that I was actually expecting to be let down by. I figured "Its just an IPA, it can't be as awesome as everyone says" I mean, I went through my IPA phase (usually the early phase of a craft beer drinker it seems to me) and I had a lot and they just don't get that different. So I figured it'd be good, but not AMAZING. I was proven somewhat wrong. Best IPA in the world? Maybe, I can;t say (like I said they're all so similar) but it was fucking fantastic. I know this a thread about what over-hyped beers you personally didn't like so I'm not saying you're all wrong (and there are many more than the 3 I quoted) but I'm just disagreeing. I wouldn't call it a top 10 beer, but I don't think any IPA cracks my top 10 these days. I just know that I loved the hell out of it and I was actually kind of sad when I took the last sip.

8. HarrySTruman

HarrySTruman Savant (265) Michigan May 16, 2012

Loose Cannon has a rating over 90, I would never buy it again.

9. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Two Hearted and Pliny the Elder.

Very average and not very interesting IPA's.

PittBeerGirl and dman5400 like this.
  10. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

I'm not sure what exactly was in your bottle but its completely different from MZ. The chilies are also pretty prominent and you feel them especially on the finish. Unless you're one of those people that chomps on habaneros like they're bell peppers, I'd say you got a bad bottle. Although I didn't think the 2012 was as good as 2011, the chillies were definitely still there but I tasted a lot more of the cinnamon and less of the cacao and vanilla.

11. cpinto6

Was it fresh? IMO after a month at best it dives off a cliff. This is one beer that falls apart quickly for me which is why I only buy a 4pack or 2 when it comes out and buy a case of WnB. WnB holds together along with the coffee flavor much, much longer.

12. Pliny the elder, it's good but not great.

13. Pliny is overrated because it's not as good as about 20 other IIPA's I've had.

14. BoRaeCho

BoRaeCho Savant (260) California Nov 25, 2010

Bootleggers Knuckle sandwich. Too malty. Unbalanced. Nuff said.

15. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (530) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

I wish I knew you wanted to trade it. I'd have offered everything I have for it.

16. Keffa

You had a bad bottle then, Supplication was like drinking sour cherry candy. Sooo good.

17. Keffa

For me, several beers underwhelmed me, and they are quite popular so *puts flameproof suit on*

Black Tuesday- Rocket fuel in a bottle. Seriously, 2 seconds of roast and a little chocolate and then full on fire breathing ability. If I wanted that much alcohol apparent in a beer, I'd brew a brown ale and then throw vodka in it.

Pliny The Elder- Good, but even fresh as can be, it couldn't stand up against Heady. This was proven at Jackie O's, with a 1 week old Sculpin, 3 DAY old Pliny, and a 3 week old can of Heady back to back to back. The Heady was far and away better. Pliny was just resinous as hell, where Heady was a huge fruit bomb with the resin behind it.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout- Every bottle I've had has been very mediocre at best, including a 1 year old bottle. Just not as good as it's put out to be to me.

Founders Imperial Stout- Ashtray in a bottle. Every time I've given up and tried it again, it's as bad as the last time.

Green Flash Palate Wrecker- Undrinkable boozy mess.

Three Floyds Dark Lord- So syrupy sweet, I thought I'd get cavities AND diabetes drinking it. Had a couple vintages of it as well. Now BB Vanilla Bean on the other hand...

Scalzo likes this.
  18. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

I'd take a Ten Fidy over any of the imperial stouts you listed...granted they are totally different price points.

fullmetal1381 likes this.
  19. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (400) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Guess I've had 5 or 6 bad bottles then, and not one "good" one.

20. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

When I say similar to MZ, I mostly mean in mouthfeel and thickness, as they're both pretty syrupy. I got no chilies, no cinnamon, and very little vanilla. I just don't get the hype. I thought it was middle of the road.

21. cpinto6

What else would you expect? It is MZ with cacao nibs, ancho and pasilla chilies cinanamon and vanilla. I don't see how any of this would change the mouthfeel or thickness. It is very weird though that you didn't get chilies or cinnamon which again leads me to believe you got a bottle that was off. Either that or something screwed with your palate before you had it.

22. STEG

STEG Savant (255) New York Jun 29, 2009

Racer X, had it on tap this weekend and was unimpressed. I'm going to give it another chance sometime soon.

KBS, the first bottle I had tasted like an ashtray and I haven't had the energy to seek out subsequent releases.

23. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

FBS?! How dare you!!! :eek:

BeerKangaroo and Revenant like this.
  24. ipa247

ipa247 Savant (270) California Dec 23, 2008

Kate the Great by a landslide. Found it to be almost pedestrian and blah after trying many vintages. I frankly dont get it. Would pick an old rasputin over it any day of the week. Dont mass produce that beer and only sell it one day a year and i think we would then have a rarity worth going nuts about.

25. Says you, with the operative conjunction being "I've".

SaigonDaze and FUNKPhD like this.
  26. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Wow, FLAMEPROOF SUIT is needed. You are takin' on all kinds of sacred cows!!!;)

I must humbly disagree with you regarding Founder's IS and Black Tuesday. Founder's is pretty good, albeit overhyped, but not an ashtray by any stretch. As for Black Tuesday, I have had it MANY:Dtimes, am a huge fan, but although it can be warm, but I've never thought of it has hot in the way you described. But I do like your colorful descriptions.;)

27. Ask enough people and your favorite beers will come up as another's let down/drain pour.

One man gathers what another man spills.

cmannes likes this.
  28. tectactoe

Unless it's Rogue's Bacon Maple. No one likes that, haha.

29. kotayk

kotayk Aficionado (180) California Feb 22, 2011

AMEN to that!

yamar68 and fujindemon74 like this.
  30. It's called an opinion skeeter, IT'S basically what this thread is about.

31. Those Boulder-smarts get me every time. Thanks DUDE!

32. mackeyse

mackeyse Savant (290) New York Aug 21, 2012

Anything by Maine Brewing Co (except Lunch).

33. marcgo2

marcgo2 Aficionado (235) Illinois Nov 16, 2010

I'm bothered when people put comments like "I don't understand why so many people like this." Implying that somehow their opinion is the correct one. People can like or not like whatever they want, but I feel an opinion in most cases should be independent of others opinions.

kotayk and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  34. Kukaliru

Kukaliru Aspirant (25) Nov 12, 2012

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA.

This one seems to bask in a lot of glory as a staple of the American IPA brand, but its lack of balance does not rub me right. I don't hate it, but it is always far from my first choice when I'm looking for a good solid IPA.

35. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I gotta tell ya, I wasn't all that impressed with Pliny the Elder. Its a good IPA but I don't think it's in my top 5, or even top 10 IPAs. Don't get me wrong, i would drink it again, i just think there are better IPAs out there that don't get enough credit.

36. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas is every bit as good while being more widely available.

dman5400 and tectactoe like this.
  37. Founders Breakfast Stout. The Coffee was just too dominant. I love my artisan coffee and my toddy but coffee stouts just kind of get to me. The Burton Baton as well. Was wayyyy to sweet. In fact I don't really like much of any of dogfishead's brews

38. I always try to help when I can.

39. tectactoe

Have you ever tried FBS aged? Over long periods of time, I've found that the coffee actually mellows out quite a bit and the beer takes on more of a bittersweet, chocolate malty taste. The coffee is still present, but it seems as though that's the flavor that recesses the most with time. Just a suggestion :)

40. I haven't. I wish I could get my hands on some in the Philly area but I don't know where I could find some. I know it is a highly acclaimed beer.

fujindemon74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.