1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Highly acclaimed brews that underwhelmed you?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Guess so. More for me :)
  2. Pittsky

Pittsky Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2009

Neither do I. But I've had them all....TRADE
  3. Pittsky

Pittsky Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2009

Recently I had Speedway stout and was not impressed.
    mnguyen281 and Onenote81 like this.
  4. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

By ashtray for FIS, I mean that the amount of acridly roasted malt in it was far too much. I can stand a small bit of ash/smoke like malt in a stout, but when it tastes like I'm drinking the remnants of a campfire, that's a little too much.

And the Black Tuesday I got to try was a 2011, and it was most definitely hot. DuClaw Colossus was easier to drink than BT, and has BT by a few ABV points. If it mellowed out, I'm sure I'd like it a lot more than I did. What flavors did make it through the heat were good, for what that's worth.

But hey, I'm still in one piece :)
  5. KtG, DL, Darkness, all versions of Sexual Chocolate
  6. Every beer on BA is overrated. Seriously. Look at the ratings. People forget there's a number below 4.
    Beerista, teal, AmitC and 10 others like this.
  7. divineaudio

divineaudio Savant (400) Michigan Dec 7, 2009

For me- DFH WWS and 120 min. WWS was just a syrupy mess with no stout qualities at all and 120 was bitter booze.
  8. Anything and everything by Harpoon.
  9. DFH 120 min for me. I couldn't get over the sweetness.

I am a fan of WWS however.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  10. RWNewhouse

RWNewhouse Savant (280) Montana Feb 14, 2011

Had Black Note for the first time this weekend. A whole lotta meh.
  11. Dude, Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting had a MOUNTAIN of FBS 4-packs last week as cheap as you're going to find in SE PA.
    Can't recall exact price, but that day I paid $11.50 for a 4-pack of Founders Backwoods Bastard.
  12. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I drank a 2012 Backwoods Bastard an hour ago, and I have to say that I agree with you. It was very underwhelming.
  13. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

Anything from Maine Beer Company or Lagunitas.

Green Flash.
  14. mzeld

mzeld Savant (260) Michigan Mar 5, 2012

You were underwhelmed by Brown Shugga?! Man! I just killed that six pack in two days. Couldn't get enough of it!

I would double the notion of Burton Baton. Had all the hype for a great oak aged imperial IPA. I was expecting a malty, oak wood, caramelizing taste, but all I got was something....not that haha
  15. I wouldn't call it highly acclaimed just widely popular, but as I continue to work on my Great Lakes 6 pack of Christmas Ale it continues to underwhelm. I also had Expedition Stout for the first time last week and that was a big meh.
  16. Sexual Chocolate
    Oaked Arrogant Bastard
    CBS
    Parabola

I will not say that FBS is a letdown, its a great beer, but I will say that WnB>>>>>>>>>>>>FBS
    PittBeerGirl and FUNKPhD like this.
  17. I agree. FBS is not bad but there are many other stouts I feel that are much better, including WnB.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  18. Founders breakfast stout
    PittBeerGirl likes this.
  19. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Savant (265) Texas Dec 2, 2006

Dark Lord (under attenuated, acetaldehyde bomb- but 08 was awesome)
    Chocolate Rain (under attenuated, syrupy mess)
    Melange 3 (sickly cloying- this years is better)
    Black Tuesday (hot, sweet, and muddled, even after a year)
    CBS (I'll take KBS over it any day)
    PittBeerGirl likes this.
  20. Tried my first ever Stone IRS tonight. Just no; I don't get it. I just got no real flavor out of it. If anything, I got a bit of licorice and maybe a little smoke but that's it. No real coffee or cocoa or anything that I feel makes a Russian a Russian. I guess now I understand why it's only $7 a bomber since the flavor was lacking.
    ThisWangsChung likes this.
  21. Most recently for me is Founders Harvest, it is still a good beer but way over hyped.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  22. Interesting....I REALLY did not like WnB, but was looking forward to trying FBS. Maybe I should rethink my intentions...
  23. Internet forums + waiting for seasonal/special releases + need to trade = hype

Add brewery only release and you get hype^2
  24. Let your own palate decide.
    DevilsCups likes this.
  25. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Avery Maharaja
  26. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

SN Celebration. Yet I buy some every year.
    brewbetter and wde83 like this.
  27. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Oooooookay, now you've crossed the line! Hah.
  28. Fists were just raised to the sky in disgust, across the world!
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  29. Imperial Stout Trooper
    Speedway Stout
  30. I think the IRS is damn good, but compared other off the shelf imperial stouts (Brooklyn BCS, Samuel Smith, Yeti, and Old Rasputin), it falls short. I'd actually reckon it had the same level of flavor and complexity (maybe even a little less) as the Sam Smith RIS - which is only 7%...

$7-8 for a 22 oz of this, or $4 for a 500mL of Samuel Smith Imperial Stout, I'll go with Sam Smith every single time.
  31. Indybier

Indybier Aficionado (145) Illinois Nov 15, 2011

Founders Harvest Ale. Shockingly average for the $.
  32. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (365) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

Both Old Ruffian and Old Rasputin underwhelmed me. Do like Old Foghorn, Old 38 Stout, and Old Fezziwig, so it can't be an "old" thing.
    BladeRunner and dman5400 like this.
  33. AcE311

AcE311 Disciple (70) Nov 13, 2012

"Racer 5" let me down too hoppy for me not so balanced in my opinion.
  34. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

How much did you end up shelling out? A few places by me sell it for 8$ a 4-pack. I think it's worth 2$ a bottle (but then again, that's just my opinion).
  35. Lunch. I dont see what the hype is on it.
  36. AcE311

AcE311 Disciple (70) Nov 13, 2012

Also can i say Arrogant Bastard is not all its hyped up to be, unnecessarily brutal.
  37. Black Tuesday... This stuff would be perfect in 2 ounce pours. Anything more than that gets taxing to finish, just sooooo sweet.
    PittBeerGirl and brewbetter like this.

38. Id take Burton Baton anytime over Brown Shugga anyday. I just its too cloying sweet and theres not much complexity to it at all. Lagunitas' Undercover Investigation Shutdown ale on the other hand...wow great beer.
  39. Weird, i think its the exact opposite. Too much malty sweetness not enough hoppy goodness.
    SaigonDaze likes this.

40. Hmm, I'm going to be in the minority too, it seems. Bought my first 6 of SN Celebration. Hmm...a lot more bitter than I thought it was going to be. Definitely not my favorite.