1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hill Farmstead Bottle releases

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by mobius387, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grassrootsVT

grassrootsVT Initiate (0) Vermont May 10, 2005

That's 4 x 24 hour days... which is a pretty adequate window. 96 hours... Sorry for any confusion. Guess, as jraras points out, it is always better to read the writing on the website/instructions itself rather than relying on twitter...
  2. Any news on if Norma will last till next week?
  3. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (345) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

So, it clearly seems that you will not be accepting the Friday entries, which is disappointing, but it doesn't appear as though I will change your mind about the honest confusion here.

A few things though - my point was never that 4 days wasn't enough time to do this, but rather that 4 days could never be the understanding of how much time we had based on the Twitter response. I just find it a bit ironic too that one of your goals here seems to be requiring a strict attention to detail on our part when entering the lottery, and yet you use very ambiguous language when discussing this particular topic in a public forum.
    RedMedicine and GuisseppeFranco like this.
  4. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

I hope he allows all the Friday entries but yours due to the way over the top whining and entitlement. "A strict reading of the website would agree with you"... Full stop. No need to continue from there.
    bird22, pjl44, Quackus and 3 others like this.
  5. Glad I got my entry in on Monday . I feel bad for BobCobb though, as at quick glance I thought it was through Friday too. I'd have let you in, but what were you waiting for? If lawyers wrote the rules it would have had to say 11:59:59, hopefully it never has to come to that! I actually found it interesting to read about what day midnight belongs too and that 12:00:00 is actually neither am or pm. Only consensus was that such use should be avoided due to confusion and when involving something as important as a beer lottery: enter early.
  6. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

Agreed. Not saying I wouldn't be upset if I had screwed up and missed the deadline, but it's really nothing to be mad at Hill Farmstead about. The website said 12am March 1 the entire time. It didn't take "a strict reading of the website," it just took reading the website. 12am March 1 means 12am March 1. I don't see the confusion.
    ceight and Franch like this.
  7. You had 4 full days (plus part of day's notice) to write an email that was literally about as long as that post you just wrote. I really don't even understand why it mattered if it was 1 day, 4 days, or 7 days... For what reason did you not just do it immediately?
    claspada, lovindahops, ceight and 2 others like this.
  8. BobCobb

I didn't do it immediately because I thought it meant Friday night from the start. I read the website after it was posted, and I was also reading twitter. Taken in conjunction, I never thought Thursday at midnight was possibly the deadline. I only realized this may not have been right when someone posted Friday morning asking about what the final count was.

The piling on here is somewhat absurd, given I was only explaining why I believed what I did, as part of conversation with those who made the same assumption, and those who didn't. My only beef was with the information provided through Twitter, and then being told not to rely on it. I know HF is the new deity for everyone, and the grips on the pitchforks tighten when someone argues with Shaun, so that's fine. I'll see most of you in line anyway for Double Barrel Damon.
  9. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

you're simply wrong.
    claspada and vonnegut21 like this.
  10. I think this should be the topic for the next essay: If a contest ends on 12am March 1st and 12am=midnight, does 12am March 1st = midnight March 1st, and what day should you enter by. Correct answer: Feb 28th except in the case of a leap year.

Good luck to all the others who entered. I think it will be quite an exciting honor for those 50 that are chosen.
    ceight likes this.
  11. ceight

ceight Aficionado (120) New York Apr 29, 2012

Thank you for having a good attitude about this, and most of the people I have run in to who missed the deadline have also had good attitudes. :) Really sad for you guys who missed it, though.

I'm always insanely careful about these times.. I think I may have been bitten in the ass by these before and am now overly anal about it.
  12. You took an offhanded and highly subjective comment made on a super casual platform over the clearly written formal instructions on their web site. Even if you interpreted the Twitter post in the manner you did, you obviously didn't read the rules very clearly, as they would have raised an obvious contradiction. You really have nobody to blame but yourself here, that's the reason you are catching flak from people.
  13. BobCobb

I think we disagree about the extent we should be able to rely on Twitter (there were at least two instances from what I remember of them saying "all" or "entire" week, but let's even ignore that). I've already admitted I was careless in reading the website. OK. So now, they can either be willing to consider the misunderstanding and maybe write a few more names on pieces of paper, or they can say sorry, I'm not sorry. They chose the latter. I've said my piece, and I'll move on.
  14. Well easy for me to have a good attitude, I sent my email in on Monday. So hopefully I have a valid entry in and have fingers crossed with the other 500-1000 people. I just wanted to change the vibe of the thread from bashing the poor guy that missed it to the great opportunity it is.
  15. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Savant (405) New York Jun 21, 2012

500-1000 entries? That would be awesome but I'm guessing it'll be upwards of 2500 since trustee's are involved.
    CypherEnigma likes this.
  16. BobCobb

I would have liked to have been in the lottery, but no one needs pity for not having a 1 in 20 chance to spend $350 on beer. : )

In the end, I guess it comes down to how I would handle it in their shoes. Look, I don't doubt they probably got a number of emails with reasons why the deadline was missed, and at some point you draw a hard line. I would probably try to think of ways to accommodate non-frivolous explanations, or least condition it on something that is a win for both sides, e.g. sure we'll throw your name in a hat, and if you win you bring $20 of canned goods donations. There are a number of possibilities. They chose to do it another way. Alright.
  17. I forgot about the 28 day month and sent mine a few minutes past midnight. If it was deleted then it will save shaun from witnessing my massacre of the english language.

Thanks again to the guys (if you're on here) who pushed my car out of the bottom of the ice hill(farmstead) today!!!
    GuisseppeFranco and Auror like this.
  18. You guys are being pretty hostile towards BobCobb when he's being pretty reasonable. It's not like he's going off on HF or any of you. Lighten up.
    mmcgrath and Auror like this.
  19. ceight

ceight Aficionado (120) New York Apr 29, 2012

Fair, and good luck on your entry!

I am up at HF this weekend, and have met several people who, unfortunately, missed the deadline, and have just been really lighthearted about it. Though, maybe that's because the Stagecoach breakfast is amazing or the dry hopped double sunshine was phenomenal. Hard to be in a bad mood after these.
  20. grassrootsVT

grassrootsVT Initiate (0) Vermont May 10, 2005

Ok.
    We will allow all 200+ entries that were entered after midnight - So - anyone that sent an email between 12:01 am and 12:01pm on Friday will now be accepted into the lottery.
  21. BobCobb

Sorry, but I'm still confused. Does this mean those who emailed Friday afternoon (i.e. after 12:01PM) are still out?
  22. Interesting that procrastination and whining actually worked in this instance. 12 am march 1st can only mean one thing, because at the end of the night on march 1st at midnight it's march 2nd... I guess I don't have sympathy since I'm usually the biggest procrastinator ever, but not with HF and never late when the deadline is written in plain English lol. Also, it didn't seem that anyone had an issue understanding when it started, which was stated in the same format as the end time (12am).
    pmarlowe and Circleo12 like this.
  23. Agreed. Rules were clear, so I made double sure deadlines wouldn't be a problem, and sent an entry in Monday morning. It wasn't like a 2 hour thought process and brainstorm session were needed, therefore excessive time planned out for such an email.
  24. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

It sounds like you are the only one who has moved on. Some people really have that little to do huh?
  25. Look on Facebook. People were sending them in before the window of time even started. No one pays attention to things. Im not surprised the 12am end time caused confusion either. Even I'm an idiot with the short month mix-up.
  26. Yeah, I mean it didn't take that long. I assume this huge window was in response to complaints about tickets for events selling out in 1 second (which is more understandable), but when 96 hours isn't enough, it's your fault not Shaun's.
  27. Oh I know, and Shaun was calling them out. I'm just saying it's not difficult to read or send out the email early in the window if you're unsure about deadlines... I could understand some human error, but it's not Shaun's fault so move on.
    ceight likes this.
  28. holy crap. 200+? How many total entries were there?
  29. Did these 3rd anny tickets sell out already or is my internet broken?
  30. Gone by 7:03 according to my clock.
    Site is holding up fine for me.
  31. I just got my two. My wife and I were trying on three different devices and luckily one of them worked.
  32. Ok well when do Saison fest tickets go on sale? I want to prepare right now.
  33. DonFrap

DonFrap Savant (480) Massachusetts Feb 27, 2011

Tried right at 7:00 got a thing saying the site was too busy to let me in. Finally got through at 7:03 and no tix left.
  34. Wait…I just bought 2 tickets. Not sure what's going on.
    GuisseppeFranco likes this.
  35. Same deal here, had the atomic clock countdown in one window and refreshed at 6:59:59, got through.
    GuisseppeFranco likes this.
  36. DonFrap

DonFrap Savant (480) Massachusetts Feb 27, 2011

Just tried again, no dice, you probably got some released tickets from people who tried on multiple devices
  37. 6 months ago there was no problem getting GA tickets for the harvest fest, now it's 3 minutes? What happens next time? Man I am glad I got up there back in the spring last year, I can't imagine how busy they must be all the time now. Guess I'll find out when I skip work for the Double Barrel Damon release and drive 16 hours in a day...
  38. Took 18 minutes of continuously re-entering those annoying spam-bot preventers - but persistence paid off, even on my slow "budget" connection.
  39. This was the peak of the line at the 2010 Harvest fest

[​IMG]

Actually I don't even think there was a line
  40. Crazy. I have never had a problem getting tickets for their fests. Should have known this one would sell out so quick. Oh well. Maybe next year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.