1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hill Farmstead Bottle releases

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by mobius387, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerCosmonaut

BeerCosmonaut Member

Shaun tweeted that they sold 3,000 liters of beer this week during the Norma release -- that's 150l/hour or 2.5l/minute

That essentially sounds like a line the entire time they're open.
    grassrootsVT likes this.
  2. nrs207

nrs207 Member

Ah yeah, the good old days. I wish I was 21 back then. Got up there a short time after, but damn. I'd have loved that line lol.
    grassrootsVT likes this.
  3. grassrootsVT

grassrootsVT Acolyte

Doing our best to figure out solutions... I miss those days, too. Some very cool things in the works - but can't speak quite yet...
  4. nrs207

nrs207 Member

Well I can't speak for everyone else, but I'll be anxiously awaiting these "cool things." Anything to make a 16 hour round trip even more worthwhile, although both times I did it last year it was 100% worthwhile to say the least.

And always better to figure out solutions to too much growth rather than the opposite. Got BA and RB creating a massive hype machine when the beer speaks for itself just fine already; that's what you get for always putting out a top notch product I guess?
  5. nrs207

nrs207 Member

I did see that. I'm sure some of that had to do with the Norma release, but I'm sure it's still a madhouse there now compared to last spring when I was up (was there for the VIP/harvest fest too, but that was obviously going to be packed).
  6. jomobono

jomobono Member

If the solution is a Hill Farmstead fest in my back yard, the answer is yes.
  7. thegerm87

thegerm87 Member

Any word on how long Norma will last? I'm considering heading up there this coming weekend and if its there, my decision will be quite a bit easier.
  8. nrs207

nrs207 Member

I'm down for that.
  9. Malzie13

Malzie13 Member

It was indeed crazy up there this weekend! Waited about 25 mins (which was lucky) outside, and then about an hour and a half once we got in there. Well worth the trip.
  10. Circleo12

Circleo12 Member

I'm hoping that, after the lottery picks are made, we actually get to hear from Shaun how many entries there were. Any guesses?
  11. Number45forever

Number45forever Member

I'm guessing 2500 total entries. I also bet this was like 2000 more than the fine folks at HF guessed there'd be. Going to have to be one big ass hat to fit all those entries in ;)

Good luck to all who entered, hope we have some winners here among the faithful.

(I also missed out on Anniversary Party tickets. Sigh. Probably have to spend that weekend playing golf and drinking Heady Topper instead. The horror.)
    cfrances33 and nrs207 like this.
  12. nrs207

nrs207 Member

Sounds like a horrible weekend. And yeah, hopefully it's not mostly randos that thought, "why not? More trade bait"
  13. Franch

Franch Member

may the odds be ever in y'alls favor.
    lovindahops and cfrances33 like this.
  14. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Member

Collected works going from possibly 150 to 50 frees up about 100 bottles ;-)
    Franch likes this.
  15. nh2032

nh2032 Member

A question for someone who's visited recently. What's the current situation with growler limits? My last visit it was 8L per person per trip through line, but I think I heard they switched to 5 growlers.
  16. cfrances33

cfrances33 Member

You are correct. 5 x 750ml growlers per trip through line.
  17. nh2032

nh2032 Member

Is it handled differently for 2Ls?
  18. cfrances33

cfrances33 Member

Not sure... My friend filled one 2L and then four 750s in his trip through line.
  19. celfan

celfan Member

i've seen them do several more than that even when it's crowded.

they're just trying to weed out the people who have no problem making people spend their entire Saturday afternoons on line
    Takeanotherswing likes this.
  20. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

I think the sign said something like 5 growlers of any size.
    grassrootsVT and MarkF150 like this.
  21. ajfa531

ajfa531 Member

I was able to get three 2 liter growlers, one 1 liter, and a 750. I think that means any 5 growlers.

- Joe
  22. thegerm87

thegerm87 Member

Anybody have an idea if Norma is going to last until the weekend?
  23. Number45forever

Number45forever Member

The sign says 5 growlers per person, does not specify size of the growlers. If its slow (unlikely) they'd do more. Perhaps on like a Thursday afternoon you could do more. Otherwise, 5 each.
  24. phishfoolme

phishfoolme Member

They did 7 750s for me a few Thursdays ago. It was not too crowded though.
  25. Auror

Auror Member

Generally if the line isn't out the door they don't enforce the limit.
  26. Etan

Etan Member

Just noticed that Madness and Civilization is on the horizon. Maybe people will finally start recognizing my avatar around here :D
  27. mklisz

mklisz Member

From the website:

Our First Bottle Release of the Year will include the following three releases. Stay tuned for dates. It will be on a Sunday from 12pm to 2pm. Early to Mid June... ?
      • Hill Farmstead: Elaborative #1: Tart Brown Ale brewed with Ohio Walnuts. Aged 18 months in a variety of oak barrels... in friendship with Brad at Jackie O's and Chad at Crooked Stave. 375ml. 10$

• Flander's (style) Red: Aged in Wine and Port barrels. Collaboration with Will Meyers from Cambridge Brewing Company. Brewed in April of 2011. 375ml. 12$.

• Spontaneously Fermented Ale. 20$ 375ml.

Interesting that they'll be doing it on a Sunday. I would expect just bottles, no growlers, given that timeframe.
  28. Number45forever

Number45forever Member

They all sound absolutely fantastic, and I'm a fan of the Sunday releases. Part of me hopes it is just bottles on Sunday release days, it'll be so much faster in and out. Cheers to HF, can't wait to try these beers, each with so much time put into them.
    CypherEnigma likes this.
  29. sandman3479

sandman3479 Member

I actually feel the same way. Love to get some growlers too, but no growlers will make the line infinately more bearable.
  30. Number45forever

Number45forever Member

Exactly. And if they, for example, have bottles of Everett and Anna available the same day then it's really a good idea to have no growler fills. Based on their fb post today, Anna could be ready by the time of this release!

I'm just worried that the late spring is going to delay Vera Mae so much that it isn't ready for Anniversary Party, that would be sad.
    sandman3479 likes this.
  31. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Member

Anna could be ready by mid june? That would be amazing but would definitely be surprising. I asked that question maybe three weeks ago, and i was told that Anna will be brewed "many many weeks from now" and that it'll be ready "7 weeks after it's brewed". So obviously who knows what "many many weeks" actually is but even if that was right now, that would still be cutting it close to these bottle releases. I hope i'm wrong though!

What did the FB message say?
  32. mklisz

mklisz Member

Anna is being brewed tomorrow.
  33. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Member

Fantastic news - thanks!
  34. jomobono

jomobono Member

Anna bottles ready in mid June...
    averagjoe3 and POTABLE83 like this.
  35. grassrootsVT

grassrootsVT Acolyte

Vera Mae has always been brewed the day before the the Anniversary Party (which also happens to be my birthday...). Never ready until August.
    Sunday release will be when the shop is closed. Expedited. On a day when people can travel. And we can over small pours/tasters.
    Release is going to be........ May 26th. The day after the Anniversary Party. And a 3 day weekend...
    Will get to posting details later tonight or tomorrow.
  36. celfan

celfan Member

I think the Anna/Arthur/Art/E. release was when all hell broke loose
  37. grassrootsVT

grassrootsVT Acolyte

Offer. Not over.... man.

Anyway - we'll update things shortly. Something like 2pm on Sunday May 26th. 3 barrel aged beers. 3 stainless beers. We will still have our festival permit from the anniversary party so... if we wanted to... we could sell glasses of beer... AND Brad from Jackie O's will be here. Which is a bonus.
  38. jomobono

jomobono Member

I have tickets to the Anniversary Party so this pretty much sums up how I feel:
    [​IMG]
  39. Number45forever

Number45forever Member

Ah, thanks for the correction on Vera Mae. That beer so haunts my dreams, I was confused. Cheers!
    grassrootsVT likes this.
  40. Franch

Franch Member

you should have half the number of bottles as you do anniversary tickets and stage a hunger games-style battle for spots in line on sunday.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.