1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hill Farmstead expansion plans approved

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by bugdoc, Jan 23, 2013.

1. bugdoc

bugdoc Member

2. smo

smo Member

Direct sales/shipping to customers would put so much strain on them. I can't even begin to imagine haha.... We can only hope though :)
  3. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Member

Direct shipping to customers would be awesome!
  4. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Member

Love the avatar Hosser.
    BottleCaps80 and FrankLloydMike like this.
  5. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Member

Now I just need MA to get their act together if the direct shipping pans through.
    jglowe77 likes this.
  6. Squidly

Squidly Member

Excellent story...thanks for linking.
  7. Flashy

Flashy Member

HF was distributed by someone for a time, we had it on tap in Southern Vt for several months. Surprise they were able to get any business venture signed off on in this state.
  8. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

HF has got to be the biggest boost to the VT economy in years. They're so remote that you pretty much have to stay overnight, if not make a weekend of it. Before HF I went to Waterbury for The Alchemist, but I never would have fathomed staying there and/or spending so much time as I do now...

Anyway, this is great news.
    Gushue3 likes this.
  9. nathanjohnson

nathanjohnson Member

Yea... Not at all. Four letters: GMCR.
    SunDevilBeer likes this.
  10. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

Well fair enough - HF can't compete with a multi-billion dollar company. :)

But in terms of tourism, do people actually go up there for coffee the way beer geeks flock for HF?
  11. Patrick

Patrick Member

I would hope not. Green Mountain on the same level as Dunkin Donuts when it comes to coffee.
    Chaaaarlieeee likes this.
  12. RochesterAaron

RochesterAaron Member

Made 2 trips to VT this summer because of HF. The first we stayed in Stowe one night, ended up going back for a week. Those trips would not have happened if not for HF.
  13. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Member

There are numerous alcohol laws in MA that are more important than shipping rules.
  14. omniscientcause

omniscientcause Member

Yea but will shaun be willing to break the shipping laws and send beer to states that dont allow it? My guess is no. The backlash for a company sending beer to someone is probably much greater than in individual.
  15. concealed

concealed Member

yeah no one goes to Vermont for skiing either :)
    AdamP likes this.
  16. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Member

Waterbury sure smelled wonderful on those days when John was brewing at the old pub and GMCR was roasting.
  17. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Member

18. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Member

I agree with your logic, but I personallly think the consistent volume of traffic to the Alchemist cannery has a larger impact on the local economy. They also provide enough product to a handfull local reatailers( for now) to increase their traffic.

From the overnight stay prespective I think the Waterbury beer scene/nightlife generates a fair amount on it's own.

Lawson's farmers market events also bring a fair amount to the table, just go to The Three Penny Taproom after a market, it's always full of patrons from out of state that are here overnight.

All in all, we in Vermont need to thank and support the beer industy that puts this tiny state on the map.
  19. dunix

dunix Member

I agree. Although I'll add, there is a vocal part of the population in the Greater Hardwick area that would much rather Hill Farmstead set up else where. Even more than that, would much rather places like Pete's Greens, Jasper Hill, and High Mowing, pick up shop and move closer to Burlington. Even though this area has really been economically depressed since the 1930s, and is just starting to see revitalization because of these businesses. It is an interesting dynamic, where the people that have lived in the area for generations and have struggled, don't want these new businesses bringing in more dollars to the local economy.

As for the economic impact, I'd assume businesses like Ben & Jerry's, GMCR, and Cabot Cheese are doing more individually than the entire beer industry combined for the economy as a whole. Does it really matter who does more? Nope. Either way, spend money here so our state doesn't go bankrupt (and my taxes don't go up more) ;)
    JrGtr and BeerCosmonaut like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

While in theory it would, how much fun would it be to sit and stare at a screen full of "out of stock" notices everyday on their beers?
    cfrances33, franklinn and Jnorton00 like this.
  21. gobeartrap

gobeartrap Member

sounds like the Northeast Kingdom in a nutshell
    dunix likes this.
  22. BeerCosmonaut

BeerCosmonaut Member

Lots of BANANAS (build absolutely nothing anywhere near anything) in the NEK, even people that haven't been here for generations. Jasper Hill, Pete's and HMS don't even have a ton of customer traffic like HF. Plus HMS is on route 15 anyways. These people are gonna be real upset if Bill Stenger's visions comes to fruition.

Change is scary!
  23. kinopio

kinopio Member

Unless you live on one of those little side roads leading up to HF and are annoyed at the slight increase in traffic it makes no sense to be against having a small brewery there. Some people just like to complain for the hell of it, even if what they are complaining about doesn't affect them negatively at all(Pawnee residents are an all too real depiction).
    woosterbill likes this.
  24. dunix

dunix Member

Upset is putting it mildly imo. Of course most of those people are unemployed or under employed because there are no jobs in NEK other than the businesses listed and of course the new Walmart that is supposedly coming.
  25. brikelly

brikelly Member

I'm staying here in Stowe with my wife for the weekend (again) because of HF, Alchemist and Lawson's. We made the trifecta brewery/store visits yesterday and we're gonna spend the next few days visiting restaurants and bars and stores. Definitely wouldn't be here as often if it wasn't for these incredible breweries.

I saw one other car on Hill Road yesterday. Man, rush hour at HF is craaaaaaazy
  26. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Member

Friggin' hippies!
  27. Flashy

Flashy Member

There is a fairly large group of people living in Vermont that think the "tourists" are nothing but a bother and believe the job they have would remain, but be less hectic if they all just went away. Love the salt of the earth old-time farmers and the people who moved here because they love the state- but pretty much every in between is a loser. I know because I deal with them everyday.
    skivtjerry likes this.
  28. Flashy

Flashy Member

Here's a good example. A local winery wanted to expand, so they could host wedding, tours, etc. A former state representative who lived down the road led the charge to stop them, because he didn't want the traffic going down his road and disturb his gardening. And this guy was an former elected state official!
  29. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Member

Out him now, please!
  30. jomobono

jomobono Member

All you have to do is have these people read a Hill Farmstead bottle:

31. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Member

There is a sizeable portion of every population that is rabidly against any change, even for the better (don't want to disturb those slumbering brain cells). Maybe they'd like HF better if Shaun made a Bud Light clone?
  32. Flashy

Flashy Member

I think they just don't undertand economics to any degree what so ever- on top of being a moron.
  33. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Member

In case you haven't seen the Act 250 paperwork, the 3d renderings and site plans were just uploaded to
    http://www.vtbeer.org/2013/07/17/hill-farmstead-brewery-expansion-renderings/

Overall, the 3d renderings and site plans look really nice. It also appears they'll be using the new storage space instead of off-site storage in Hardwick, which should make it easier to manage. Once the fruit trees get planted, I think the overall brewery will be even nicer.
    WeisGuy, woodfinish, Horbar and 5 others like this.
  34. Patrick

Patrick Member

That looks great.
  35. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Member

Nice!! Wonder what he'll do with their old farmhouse - mentioned he wants to build a little place for himself down by the pond for more privacy. And not having that leased box truck pulling in all the time with beer in storage from Hardwick must be a change to look forward to.
  36. jomobono

jomobono Member

Already planted: pears, plums, cherries

So much more room for activities!!
    Trevdawg, tehzachatak, MattXT and 4 others like this.
  37. Osyrus

Osyrus Member

Absolutely love it. Based on the angle, that exterior deck should have a perfect view. I can't wait to sit up there and just look out over the mountains, savoring a HF pour, relaxing and enjoying life. Hoping we get to see lots more of Darren's outstanding woodwork throughout.

I hope somewhere, inside or out, you can still see that little pond down the hill to the side of the brewery. It's always been very intriguing and imaginative to me to look at, semi-tucked behind some trees. But if Shaun wishes to have it as a more private area for himself then I can certainly understand and applaud that.
  38. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Member

As an architect and beer lover, there are few things in this world more exciting to me than this. The project looks great--respectful of the land and seems to pay homage to the agricultural-industrial buildings in the area, while being contemporary and built for the purpose of brewing. If this means they can expand their production a bit and handle a bit bigger crowds for growler fills, I'm even more excited.
    greenmtn1111 and Rochefort10nh like this.
  39. grachdar

grachdar Member

Did we just become best friends?

Seriously though, couldn't +1 the comments here more. This is going to be a beautiful continuation to the Hill family homage, and hopefully fewer people will walk into Shaun's house to use his bathroom...
    Trevdawg and rondufresne like this.
  40. jomobono

jomobono Member

Yep, you want to go to karate in the garage?!?!?
    Trevdawg likes this.