1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hill Farmstead Festival of Farmhouse Ales

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by HevvyMetalHippie, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Has anyone done the camping scene up at their anniversary/festivals? It sounds like it would be awesome, but if you're buying bottles, does it become problematic to store them? How does this go down?

The event happens, but then what about afterwards? People just chill and drink all night and then pack up and head out in the morning?

Thoughts?

2. Pretty much...!

3. I have camped for the last two anniversaries and will be at this one too. I just put bottles in a cooler in my car and don't bother with growlers unless I have cooler space.

And yeah, there is a nice little bottle share after the event. Lots of fun.

4. I just bring some coolers for any growlers/bottles I buy (enough ice to keep them cool until I leave the next day).

After the fest people make their way down to the camping area and share some beers. Sometimes there will be a bonfire down by the water with more beer sharing. At last year's Farmhouse Fest, Shaun brought down a keg of Edward and Florence or Anna (?) to the bonfire for some evening pours.

The events are always a great time and very well run.

5. Im so stoked for this. At the 2nd Anniversary I felt like a child on Christmas morning, so camping is going to be extra awesome to safely try everything at the festival. Let the countdown begin!

Oh also, paying for camping is done day of yes? I didnt see any option online while purchasing tickets, and wanted to make sure.

6. jaasen64

jaasen64 Savant (460) Massachusetts Jan 15, 2012

Yeah they said on their Facebook page that camping sign-ups would be done at the event.

7. Awesome. Man I can't wait. Where else can you camp and drink some of the best beers in the country? YAY!

CypherEnigma likes this.
  8. howopeeps

howopeeps Aficionado (175) Ohio Mar 7, 2011

will be there as well and camping. really pumped to finally get up there.

9. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (210) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

going have a motel about 6 miles away, but plan on sticking around for bottle share. any one know if you can leave and come back to the fest?

10. Sejordan2

Sejordan2 Aficionado (115) Vermont Aug 16, 2011

Hey Guys, this is my first HF fest but I have been to the brewery many times. Should I arrive early? Or is it pretty laid back? I definitely still have to pick up my stemware for the tasting!! Super excited, love the place on a regular day and I can't wait to check out a saison/farm house centric tap list!!

11. I went to the 2nd Anniversary and it was super chilled and laid back. There were a good amount of people, but it wasn't mobbed/slamming with lines, everything went fast (including the beer).

12. It's laid back. Arrive whenever. There are only 300 people going.

13. Sejordan2

Sejordan2 Aficionado (115) Vermont Aug 16, 2011

Thanks guys!

14. I feel like bringing lots of water is going to be a good idea, especially if its going to be hot, and if there's all that tasty beer. And food too.

CypherEnigma likes this.
  15. At the 2nd Anniversary Party you were able to purchase a glass as you were walking in, no need to get there early for that.

16. I grabbed one of those last time but don't want to risk breaking it by bringing it with me, and Ill simply get another.

17. I broke the stem/foot off mine a couple years ago, so I just keep it that way for its bumpy travels up to Greensboro.

grassrootsVT and DrEntropy like this.
  18. howopeeps

looking to stay in waterbury the night before the festival what are some places to stay at in town. I called the old stagecoach and they have a two night min for weekends.

19. makdeco

makdeco Savant (305) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

The best western in Waterbury had open rooms last night when I checked..

I will be arriving in Waterbury friday night from Chicago and camping at HF after the fest I'll bring some bottles and looking for to the fest and any bottle share that happens afterwards!

Cheers...

20. We're staying at the Thatcher Inn in Waterbury the night before. It was a bit cheaper than the Best Western and no minimum stay.

21. makdeco

cool never heard of that one, the BW doesn't have min stay...

22. Are people going to be bringing crazy stuff for bottle sharing? What should one bring?

23. Anything from Jack's Abby and Pretty Things Meadowlark IPA would be my...ahem... personal requests... ;)

CypherEnigma and Jnorton00 like this.
  24. makdeco

I'll be bringing Daisy Cutter for myself and if anyone wants a few I'll have extras... I see what bottles I can spare to bring out of the cellar :)

25. howopeeps

Has anyone stayed at or been to little river state park

26. I can make that happen

brooklynbrews and nathanjohnson like this.
  27. howopeeps

Thinking about bringing some Jackie os and fat heads head hunter

28. mike409

so since this is ticket is there any reason to arrive early to get in line? also are you able to leave and return to the fest?

29. No, no need to arrive early. As for leaving and return, that's usually not a problem.

30. There isnt really anywhere to go in the immediate area if you're looking to leave for some reason. Camping and drinking will be the only thing to do for miles. Im not even sure if there's a gas station in the immediate area

makdeco likes this.
  31. mike409

leaving for a few to check into our motel which is 6 miles away and maybe the wife will want to frshen up

32. Meadowlark might be problematic. But I have Ginger and Juice, Summertime Lager, and Hoponius Union from JA if'n yer' interested.

33. Anyone know if Shaun has a decent supply of glassware currently? I had seen people post that he had sold out a couple times and i just want to make sure there will be glassware available for purchase at the event as i do not have my own yet to bring with me.

34. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

there was none there for sale today. He said hopefully in 3 weeks they'd have some. There are literally three of the glasses there, someone asked if they were for sale and he replied, "No, those are what we drink out of after work" ;)

35. There's only gonna be 300 people so I'm sure there will be enough for that

36. better bring mine just in case. Was going to buy new ones at the event to save having to drag them along, but better safe than sober.

37. I can't imagine them not having enough for the event though. I don't want to bring camping gear and then a fragile glass ya know?

38. makdeco

yeah I was hoping to just buy one as well but will bring mine in case too...

39. howopeeps

I want to get my first hill farmstead glass at the festival hope they have them in stock

40. They have ran out of the nice ones at fests before. Otherwise they always have the regular branded wine glasses as backup.