1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hill Farmstead getting rid of growler fills for Ephrahim

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by standardcherry, Jul 12, 2012.

1. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

Yeah it did. A brett fermented pale ale replaced it. FWIW, the flower child I had last year around Halloween was very buttery too.
  2. standardcherry

standardcherry Member

I wish I could get Cerise, Brett Grissette and Honey Badger to go. They're so damn good.
  3. lucas1801

lucas1801 Member

I believe it was a Belgian Pale not a Brett one.
  4. Patrick

Patrick Member

Not sure where you tried it, but at the pub I've had a few clean pints.
  5. That is OK Hill Farmstead, I can buy as much Abrasive Ale as I can drink December through April.

Ephraim < Abrasive Ale
  6. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

Yes you are right. I confused the description with Pearls of Wisdom.

I've only ever had it at the pub. The glass I ordered at the halloween party seemed okay but I was a few beers deep. A couple weeks later it was very buttery along with the sample I had a week or so ago.
  7. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Member

Seems kind of, dumb...to forgo releasing one beer in growlers, while permitting the rest. As if Ephraim is the only growlered HF beer which has ever been traded or sold.

While I respect a brewer's decision to do with their beer as they please, I don't necessarily have to agree with it. To that end, if Shaun doesn't want to put Ephraim in a growler, so be it. It simply means that I lose the opportunity to bring some home and share it with a number of people who are very fond of his beer. Our loss. I'm sure Shaun won't lose any sleep over it. Neither will we, but it still would be nice.

I'm a big fan of good beer, and I have no shame in saying that drinking Ephraim in the comfort of my own home, or anywhere else of my choosing, had been on my bucket list. Guess that'll be one of those things that simply isn't going to happen. Oh fuck well.
  8. evilc

evilc Member

Since eBay is hosed - will Shaun resume filling growlers of this? Since we know he trades himself - he can't have anything against trading - just selling.
  9. Number45forever

Number45forever Member

I believe there was an issue with people drinking 10 month old growled Ephraim that was hoarded and then traded. He had posted a note commenting on trading being a problem too. I kind of doubt that Ephraim is growlered, even in the face of eBay sales being shut down. We'll see.
    HopsHopenstein likes this.
  10. tubbnik

tubbnik Member

The new normal. $8.00 for a 10oz pour. Oh to joy!
  11. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Member

You're listed as being from Norristown PA... isn't that price a norm for you? I know that whenever something special comes to NYC, its always about $8-10 for a 8-10oz pour.
  12. tubbnik

tubbnik Member

Its becoming the norm, thats for sure.

My comment was relating to whats goign to happen with Ephraim, more specifically. $8.00/10oz by the glass > $13/64oz by the growler.
  13. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

That's your local bar setting the prices. Im sure theres a nice markup somewhere between the kegs going to the distributor and being tapped at a bar. I've never seen Ephraim at $13 a growler. Maybe the 750ml fill is $13 but not 2L.
  14. Patrick

Patrick Member

I wonder if Boston will get some since there will be a bit more to go around.
  15. tubbnik

tubbnik Member

my bad, $18 for iipas at the brewery.
  16. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

I think Ephraim was $20+ for a fill.
  17. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire Member

You have a better chance of seeing inbev buying out HF than boston getting a regular distrobution of Hf.
  18. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Member

Read through this thread just today and when I see this post about the shirt and then about the reasoning behind the no growler fills, I can't help but think "diva", and that's not in a good way.
  19. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Member

Isn't the brewer being judgemental about anyone who might buy a growler of his beer?

Aren't you being judgemental in your post?

You are making the world a less joyful place to live.
  20. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

We already do get a regular distribution of HF, it just comes in one carload at a time. :) Why ship it when we do the work for them...
  21. Patrick

Patrick Member

That's pretty much what I meant. They show up sporadically.
  22. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

I don't think covering the glass is unreasonable. I've had a glass of Edward skunk slightly at their festival once. I moved out of the sunlight after. It happens very quickly.
    grassrootsVT likes this.
  23. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Member

Heh. Sure. We'll just agree to disagree on that.
  24. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

I don't understand how you can't agree when it's fact that sunlight skunks beer. Do you think the world has only been around for 10,000 years too?
    grassrootsVT likes this.
  25. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Member

So why ever drink it in the sunlight? Why allow it out of the brewery? It's overly dramatic. Its divaish

Like I said we'll just agree to disagree. It's definitely nothing to get in a RSF about.
  26. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

Why create a brewery? Just brew everything in your basement and drink it by yourself in the dark.

Luxury car companies cover their cars in wraps or clay during transport. Just another bunch of divas protecting their product I suppose.

Edit: i do agree Shaun can be overprotectant of his product and how it is served. But I'd rather deal with the frustration of that and get a premium product than bad bottles from breweries that don't seem to care. It happens much too often.
  27. evilc

evilc Member

$100,000 car being nailed by rocks during transport, destroying paint = sun hitting a beer for 13 seconds?
    DavoleBomb, ASUBeer and Lordkrystic like this.
  28. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Member

It's luxury beer bro.
    ASUBeer likes this.
  29. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

If you dont mind drinking skunked beer then you probably wont mind driving a dinged up Mercedes.
    grassrootsVT, Patrick and Krumb like this.
  30. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Are you really comparing a hundred thousand dollar car to a glass of beer? That is weak as shit. I get your point but that is a horrible comparison as one is consumable and one isn't. The skunked beer is gone while the rock chips remain.
  31. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

Some car makers barely cover their car during transport. Some people go through great lengths or costly methods to provide a superior product. Stretch my words or whatever, you get my point so it doesnt seem like "weak shit" as you say.
  32. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

But one beer in light for 13 seconds doesn't make every beer you have for the next 10 years skunked. I got your point because I tried to, not because it is obvious. You are being overly dramatic for effect, and there is no need to be.
    DavoleBomb and Lordkrystic like this.
  33. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Member

Over dramatic is a theme in this thread. It is a fitting post.
    tewaris likes this.
  34. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Member

I really need to step up my game if you guys are drinking pours in 13 seconds....
  35. evilc

evilc Member

Beer bongs bro.
    Czar_chasm likes this.
  36. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Very true, you'd think eventually I would learn.
  37. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

You are being just as dramatic. Somehow it's difficult to understand a basic concept on a different scale? It's very obvious what I'm saying you just want the chance to jump down my throat about it. And paint chips arent permanent like you are making it out to be.
  38. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Unless they are repaired they sure as hell are, pretty sure I know since that is what I do for a living. And then you have a repainted car which, especially with luxury cars, kills it's value. There is no valid comparison here, you are comparing apples to oranges. Try comparing to spoiled steaks or improperly stored cheese or even corals which were out of water a bit too long. Comparing beer to a car, even a damn Yugo is ridiculous.
  39. evilc

evilc Member

Yeah - repaints and touchups suck. Never gonna get the factory baked on finish again.
    MordorMongo likes this.
  40. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Member

I'm just sayin that the first time I see an 18 wheeler hauling covered up Hill Farmstead growlers, I'm running that sucker off the road and having one heck of a tasting party at my house.

The Hill Farmstead dealer in my city will be pissed.