1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hill Farmstead hype

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, Jul 21, 2012.

1. gibby

gibby Aficionado (230) Pennsylvania Jul 25, 2008

I thought Ephraim and Abner were outstanding and a couple of the best DIPA's I have ever tried. Citra IPA and Harlan were well above average for sure. I am still chasing down the double galaxy so hopefully I try it some day soon. I have never really had a complaint about any of their beers and I don't think they are over hyped at all. I can certainly think of a few that are over hyped though.

2. Made it up for the first time on Saturday, spent entirely too much money and time, and was well worth it. I'll be making the trip again soon. Double Galaxy is in my top favorite 2 single hop beers ever, and probably my favorite DIPA ever. It crushes beers that I thought were amazing. Has seriously redefined the DIPA for me. Edward is glorious - given the vast number of pales I have drank, I always love having a new one with no gimmicks or secret ingredients that nevertheless kicks ass.

And the saisons.......... Man. Keep up the good work, guys. Feel bad for Phil and the folks who were doing the growler line on Saturday! It was crazy.

3. Hill Farmstead makes the best hoppy beers in the world (Abner, Ephraim, Society & Solitude 4 & 5, Double Galaxy, etc.). They also make some of the best saisons (Civil Disobedience #1, Juicy, E., Flora) and porters (Everett, Twilight of the Idols) in the world. Admittedly, some of their barrel-aged stuff has disappointed me somewhat (Birth of Tragedy, Genealogy of Morals), but they were still damn good beers.

There just isn't another brewery out there that's so damn consistent across several different styles like HF. They are the best brewery in the US and I really can't even think of a close second. I've made the 10 hour drive from DC 3 times already and I can't wait to do it again in the near future. Absolutely worth it.

AptosBeerDrinker likes this.
  4. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (980) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

I think Shaun would be the first to admit that the initial round of dark beers had carbonation issues. That being said, 2012 Birth of Tragedy was a significant improvement over 2011, and I know there have been steps taken to improve consistency in carbonation with the upcoming releases.

For me Susan was definitely on the lower end of Hill Farmstead IPAs, but I've had to adjust my scale as even the worst beers from HF are highly enjoyable compared to virtually everything else out there. I think perhaps the most impressive thing is that there are a lot of different 'favorite' HF beers in this thread - my personal faves are S&S5 and Walden.

Gosox8787 and immobilisme like this.
  5. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

I loved the Dorothy saison mainly due to the use of rye.

6. I agree about Susan. Not sure what the hype is about that since I think its still very good but at the lower end of what I have liked from HF as far as hoppy beers go. Harlan is still the best regular IPA from them, IMO.

7. cincysig

cincysig Savant (340) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

On a recent trip to Vermont, I had some HF brews. The Abner I had in Waterbury stood toe-to-toe with Heady Topper as a first-class DIPA. Edward, Double Galaxy and Susan were also quite good to spectacular.

Hill Farmstead is legit. Drink some if you're able.

8. How quickly are they slammed on release days? I'm considering a trip up next Wednesday for the Saison release, but curious if I need to arrive a few hours early.

I'm hoping I can jet over to Alchemist and grab some Heady Topper while I'm up there. I noticed they now can on Mon/Wed instead of Mon/Thurs.

9. I keep changing my opinion on Susan. I have had it three times over the last two months or so.

The first time I had it I thought it was a good but not nowhere near my favorite from them. The second time I thought it was one of my favorite single IPA's they have ever brewed and I actually preferred it to the Galaxy in the taster there. The third time I had it, I went back to thinking it was good and not great.

Obviously it could just be my palate, but maybe there was some batch variation or freshness was really important?

Harlan was good, but if I had to pick a single hop IPA from them, it is Riwaka. That was an awesome beer.

10. Hey everyone, let's give the kid seeking attention some of our attention! Dude is on his high horse about west coast beers and thought it'd be fun to bash people who like HF even though he's rated their beers pretty high. Nothing new to see here.