1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hill Farmstead hype

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

To be honest, I haven't been keen on trading for HF beers because of the ridiculous stuff/amount of stuff I would have to put up to get anything done. I've had Everett, and it was probably the best porter I've ever had, FWIW.

2. JustBill

JustBill Initiate (0) Vermont Jul 28, 2010

"And for the simple reason of geography, a vast majority of us just don't get it. Literally."​

Yeah, I realize that. I feel extremely lucky to have access. That comment was intended towards the folks who can get it, or have had it... and don't understand why it's special.

3. came in here to post a few things.

2. you have a well-documented, long-running search for boobaer (i'm sorry, having learned the back story, i can never call this blabaer again).

3. hill farmstead ann just landed a boobaer.

methinks i figured out why your jimmies are rustled.

also, there is no question that hf is the "it" brewery of the moment, so yes, they are hyped. their beers are good, but people often forget they have good in their own backyard as well. i see san diegans crying that they can't land hf ipas - ffs, really? roll down the street and get a comparable one.

i've never been against ebay as a whole, but we're attacking a guy who is upset about a GROWLER being on ebay? really, this is a thing now?

4. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

No, I know. And I'm pretty sure if I lived closer to HF I'd be a believer too.

Fortunately I live in an area with great access to plenty of amazing local/regional beers, and what's more they're always easy to get. In fact, since I typed that last message I went down to my neighborhood shop and picked up a Cascade Apricot, a couple Logsdon saisons, and an Upright Seven. :) Cheers!

libbey likes this.
  5. Hill Farmstead has made my favorite beers in 3 different styles: DIPA (Abner), Porter (Everett), and Saison (Civil Disobedience #1). I literally don't think I've ever had a bad beer from them - they are insanely consistent no matter the style. I think the hoppy stuff is probably the best, but the saisons are right there too. They are the best brewery in American, hands-down. I don't even know what I'd put 2nd.

6. ipa247

ipa247 Savant (270) California Dec 23, 2008

Very much a California homer and i have made an effort to try every hyped, rare release, low bottle count, growler only and highly reviewed ipa/dipa out there in my many years of trading. Along with Alpine and RR, there are no other breweries that have so consistently wowed me with their hoppy offerings. Very few hiccups in HF's hoppy lineup. I cannot imagine what their beers would taste like on draft and not sent across the country to my home state in a box. I don't think it has anything to do with its location and I would drink their beers regularly no matter where they were located. Keep up the fantastic work.

Thorpe429 and sisuspeed like this.
  7. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Just curious—Hill Farmstead, the Alchemist, and . . . ?

8. I think HF would still be as highly regarded not matter where they were, but their stuff wouldn't trade for nearly as much if they were in a place like Portland or Michigan or something.

9. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Do people that trade HF beer abuse the fact that they can get it while a lot of us can't, or is it worth what some people are asking for it? I've got access to Russian River beer on a daily basis but when I trade it I don't demand something insane in return, I trade Pliny whenever I can, not because I expect something very hard to get in return, but because I want my trading partners to be able to try it. I love sharing good beer with good people. I know that RR is a bigger brewery than HF and within the area that RR beer is distributed its not very hard to come by at all, is HF beer extremely limited even in its distribution area?

10. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

the majority of the traders are probably not particularly local. people drinking HF on a close-to-daily basis likely don't trade at all, while traders drive from far away to grab HF for themselves and trade some away for something nice because everyone in the country seems to want their beer.

edit: HF being so small is a big part of that. the fact is, "the beer trading population" is a tiny tiny minority of the craft beer consumer population, itself a minority of the beer drinking population. smaller, hard-to-get-to brewery just leaves you with bad odds.

Errto and ShogoKawada like this.
  11. robL

robL Savant (260) California Oct 22, 2010

If Hill Farmstead were in a place like San Diego, it'd be called Alpine!

domtronzero, victory4me, OTB and 3 others like this.
  12. My thoughts exactly.

13. Hill Farmstead earns its 'value' - or at least it's reputation. Nørrebro Bryghus, anyone?

It's a pain in the ass to get there, I haven't had any HF outside of what I catch at festivals, and yes, it's great, but it's not soooo much better than what I see locally that I need to drive to VT.

Although that citrus stout they did with mikkeller was bangin'.

14. OTB

OTB Savant (380) California Sep 2, 2011

I really am looking forward to trying this someday. I would love to try the Citra DIPA as wells any of their IPA and DIPA. I'm sure I could lure some out here for super fresh Alpine or RR when the time is right.

Cheers.....

15. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Kevin with the common sense answer as usual!!

Mike brings the boom stick! That should answer the OP handily!!

Cheers!

Ps- ive reviewed a few of Shauns beers and they deserve the praise! With praise comes the hype.

Thorpe429 likes this.
  16. OTB

OTB Savant (380) California Sep 2, 2011

That's what I've heard from people I trust. On the other hand having just returned from a Maine vacation I was not impressed that much with Maine Beer Co stuff, though to be honest the one I wanted to taste more than any other,LUNCH, I did not get to try. Oh well.

Cheers......

17. black13

black13 Savant (420) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

You missed the point of my post. I was asking if HF would be all the rage it is if it were in Portland or San Diego, not if my 24 reviews meant anything. My top rated beer is BCBS which is far from PDX. Regardless of what you think of my palate, which is entirely subjective for everyone on BA except those that are judges, I'm an average beer consumer and my opinion is just as significant as yours. I started this post to see what others thought about the hype surrounding HF. Some feel its' justified, others feel it's a matter of location.

18. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

question doesn't really make sense anyway.

if it was from portland and as difficult to get? absolutely would have as much beer-not-vocabulary-advocate "hype." if it was vermont but much easier to get? less demand.

the unspecified parameters would answer your question. as stated, it's sort of loaded with conspiracy theory and reads like you're trying to argue down value so you can benefit yourself. or, you just didn't think it through.

19. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I just reread this whole thread, and as far as I can tell you are literally the only person who thinks it's just a matter of location. Which is fine, you can hold whatever idiosyncratic belief you want, but don't pretend that other people agree with you when no one does.

Levitation and islandboi8204 like this.
  20. And they'd make every style other than IPAs better, from what I've heard/read/had. I've heard some iffy stuff about Alpine's non-hoppy offerings. However, never heard anything bad about any HF beer. This is something that I'd need to investigate, but I suspect not too many people have had a lot of limited release HF and Alpine to compare.

No matter where they are they'd trade for a ton on the scale they're on. Imagine them releasing a beer like Ann with a couple hundred bottles in San Diego, Portland, etc. The shit would be nuts. It's a gift and a curse being so far from population. I happen to love it, since they're not busy on non-release days and the environment is awesome.

I don't claim to have had all of the top beers, but from what I know and have gotten to try, HF is the best brewery I've come across. Art, E. Anna, amazing saisons. Abner is right up there with Heady Topper and I haven't had Galaxy, Double Citra, or Ephraim. Everett is so well done for a standard porter. If you can call Edward a pale ale, it's right up there with Zombie Dust. People like to claim it's hyped, but that hype/praise led me and 2 friends to go up there and have our minds blown by Shaun's creations. If I could hook all BAs up with some growlers I would, so we could settle this debate. It's really worth the trip for anyone considering it.

21. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

My guess is if HF was in the PNW it would be even worse....in terms of trying to trade for it anyway. I always hear those PNW traders are booked up or something.

22. I've only been able to try three HF offerings thus far (Edward, Ephrian, and Everett)... I have been thoroughly impressed by each and everyone... I like to think that I'm a bit of a tough reviewer with only one perfect 5 in 997 reviews... The location, facility, and limited production only add to the tale... Is it hype? Perhaps, but there would be no hype if the beers weren't truly outstanding.

23. polishkaz

polishkaz Savant (455) Connecticut May 30, 2011

Off topic but I'm gonna guess Lawson's is the third brewery referred to.

Horbar and franklinn like this.
  24. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Lawson's I presume...
    EDIT: [sniped]

25. Lawson's Finest Liquids .... IMO the most difficult beer to find in Vermont

26. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

i once saw a hill farmstead keg on tap at alpine; i wonder if the brewers will ever pull a collaboration together.

grassrootsVT and Rochefort10nh like this.
  27. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Living here in Oregon as well I think I can understand your question better than most. With so many breweries in the area the competition for "best brewery" is fierce and the pretenders are easily weeded out. Not as easy to do in a smaller market with less breweries. However, having only had a single HF beer (Anna and it was very good) I have to go off of others' reviews to gauge how good their beers actually are. BA's with lots of reviews, heavy trading habits, and no reason to hype a non-local (to them) have said that beers across a range of styles from HF are among the best in the country. That's the point I believe. NOBODY is making great beers in every genre. If they were here in Portland and their saisons were the caliber of Upright or Logsdon, their pales/IPA's were Boneyard, and their barrel aged stuff was on par with HotD or even Block 15, then I could see them instantly getting the attention of every beer enthusiast in Portland. Would they be all the rage in the trade forums? Worse since there's only 1.6 traders in PDX anyway. ;)

28. As I'm drinking a growler of Everett I will add my two cents....
    This is my first beer from HF, and the best way I can begin to describe it is, this is the best porter I have ever had. My wife, who has usually tasted at least a sip of the hundreds of beers I have put in front of her has never replied with more than "not too bad", uttered "holy shit this is good. You have enough for me right?" :( My growler is now nearly finished.
    Does one beer determine whether or not it deserves the hype it gets in my eyes? No. But if you look at the reviews of their other beers, they are along the same lines.

I have a 750 of society 4 that will be consumed tomorrow and I have no doubt it will meet the bar that has been set by everett.

29. An Exponential Abner!!;)

And then a collaboration with Kern River would be the logical next step: Double Double Citra!

30. HF would have a lot of hype in a more populated area since they would be more accessible to beer geeks. They are special in a why that they've garnered lots of attention but the brewery is in such a remote location that it discourages just enough people to stop the masses from beating down their doors every week. I do wonder if they ever doubled their capacity, would the beer still be as good?

I don't feel like their beer is trading out of whack. The beer is stellar, demand is high and bottle counts are low. Maybe some of you are not used to that phenomena with beers like CBS dominating the trade scene.

31. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Talk to us when you've had more than two. I've had at least a dozen different Hill Farmstead beers (in multiple styles beyond the hoppy beers that get the most attention) and almost all of them were amazing or world class. The few that weren't, were still very good. They operate on another level. Perhaps some of the "mystique" is due to it's remote location and limited distribution, but they deserve the accolades.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  32. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

Haven't had Birth of Tragedy, but, you inspired me…
    Abner
    Anna
    Art
    Arthur
    Bière de Norma
    Civil Disobedience #1
    Civil Disobedience #2
    Civil Disobedience #3
    Damon
    Daybreak
    Double Citra
    Double Galaxy
    E.
    Edward
    Everett
    Fear & Trembling (Bourbon)
    Fear & Trembling (Cabernet/Bourbon)
    Flora
    George
    Harlan
    Jim
    Mimosa
    Society & Solitude #1
    Society & Solitude #3
    Society & Solitude #4
    Twilight of the Idols
    What Is Enlightenment?
    …that's a list of all the HF beers I've had (forgetting an IPA or two / I should be trying Ann, CD4 & Jimmy soon enough [I JD!]) - bottles, growlers, on-tap…some I've had multiple times, &c. And so far haven't had any in a tasting environment*. In other words - every one of the 750s, &c. Emily and I split together, judging the contents as honestly and intimately as humanely possible. Not trying to be ostentatious, obviously, but…for me to look at the list is actually amazing** - only a couple of B+'s (e.g. George - I'm not really a fan of plain ol' brown ales…having said that - I can't recall ever having one that was actually better?), the rest in the A-range. THE greatest IPAs, THE greatest saisons… The execution and versatility is…UNREAL. While Kuhnhenn will always be my "favorite" brewery I don't hesitate at all in saying Hill Farmstead is the "greatest." And they'll only get greater!

OP - Boy, this thread backfired, huh???

*IMO this is very significant - if I had only received 2 oz. of Mimosa at a tasting I'd freak out. Splitting a 750 two ways (an acid test all beers should be able to pass), though…cumbersome to say the least.
    **Two are in my top-5! EVER! (Bière de Norma & Double Galaxy [could JUST AS EASILY be - S&S#3, et al.)

DrinkingIPA and woosterbill like this.
  33. dbol

dbol Savant (255) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

everything i've had from them has been stellar. when i move back east i will be driving there at least a couple of times every year.

34. I hate the term "hype". There is a lot of "talk" about Hill Farmstead simply because they make great beer. It's as simple as that.

PatBrad, Pahn, jbertsch and 2 others like this.
  35. koopa

koopa Champion (800) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

While I haven't found many of the HF Saisons or Barrel Aged Beers to be as "World Class" as the vast majority of hoppy beers (and Everett which is fantastic!) they make, I certainly wouldn't call them mediocre or average either. I will say I wasn't a huge fan of BOT or BA Everett, however I thought some of the original Fear and Trembling offerings were outstanding. I also wouldn't pass final judgement on HF's potential for making Saisons or Barrel Aged Beers solely on the ones they have released thus far. HF is already a fantastic brewery and I'm confident that the quality of the products they make will continue to improve over time. Believe the hype says this non-Vermonter who has had the pleasure to visit the brewery many times and enjoy plenty of their beers.

36. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

I've only had one HF beer and wasn't exactly blown away. I don't make it over to VT as much as I'd like but had the chance to try Edward on tap last time I was in Burlington. Damn good beer but nothing to go crazy over. Before than and ever since I've been telling myself I need to make it over to the farm sometime to really see what its all about. This thread may have just given me the kick in the ass needed to finally do it next weekend. My credit card has been sitting in my wallet begging for more abuse anyway.

37. Hit an ATM before going to the Farm. My beautiful girlfriend and I forgot it was cash only and the closest ATM we found is roughly 10 mi away. Kind of a kick in the pants after driving 5+ hrs from Cape Cod.

38. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Saw that on their website just after I posted that. That will keep me in line at least. It's a lot easier to spend more when you can put it on the CC and pay later.

39. Tucquan

Tucquan Advocate (585) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2007

We're fortunate to have periodic blasts of Hill Farmstead brews in the Philly region. I've taken advantage of this and have tried quite a few. Standouts for me have been Abner and Double Citra. They've all been good though and worth seeking out.

40. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

They can't connect a damn card reader to a phone line?

domtronzero likes this.