1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hill Farmstead hype

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, Jul 21, 2012.

1. If you're in a pinch and need some cash, there is a closer ATM at Willey's General Store in Greensboro (about 2-3 miles away).

You will need more cash...
  2. I've had What is Enlightenmnet, Edward, Double Citra, and SS4. All are some of the best beers ive ever had. I could drink a growler of Edward every night and id be a happy camper. The pale ales they are crafting up there are phenomenal. I haven't had any of the other offerings, but look forward to trying some soon.
  3. koopa

koopa Champion (790) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Jasper Hill Cheeses also available in the refrigerated case half way back on the left wall of Willey's to btw......
    franklinn likes this.
  4. A couple of small breweries I've been to don't take debit or credit cards because they don't want Visa or MC or whoever taking a % of their limited cash flow.

As to HF's beers I've had one (Damon), and it was good but I was slightly underwhelmed by it. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to trying more.
    CypherEnigma likes this.

5. Indeed! Whether you need the ATM or not, stop in for the cheese.
  6. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Tons of bars too. Toronado is cash-only, for one. But they usually have an ATM on the premise.
    One of the few times I've had HF beers was at a beer and cheese event in SF. It was done by Shaun and the girl that he's dating (I think, it seemed that way at least), who's a cheesemonger at Jasper Hill, I believe. Both the cheese and the beer were delicious. Made me sad that Cabot is so much harder to find in CA. (We get good beer out here, but finding a super-sharp cheddar is so damn hard.)
  7. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

It's shortsighted. I just spent $350 at Russian River last Sunday. I only brought $100 cash. The % they lose is made up for in the amount spent.
    Errto and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  8. evilc

Toronado SD takes cards - yet another way it's the better one =)
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  9. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

Speaking of which, anybody know if there's any truth to the rumor that HF is gonna finally release the lambic(?) they brew for Jasper Hill's Winnimere?
  10. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

yep, it's an automatic restriction on how much customers can spend at your location. There is a beer store here that only takes cash and I only ever bring $40/60. There have been a number of times I would have spent a lot more if they took credit/debit.
  11. Anna is a very dry saison, maybe you were expecting to be slammed in the face with flavor instead of sipping and savoring the subtle complexity.
    bgramer likes this.
  12. DonFrap

DonFrap Savant (480) Massachusetts Feb 27, 2011

Small sample size, but at last weeks release the people I talked to no one brought less than $200 with them. I don't think it's hurting HF to be cash only.
  13. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Advocate (605) Oregon Jan 18, 2007

It's a VT thing, much like vaccine avoidance.

I kid, I kid! All the beer I've had in the past 3 days has been brewed in VT, please don't take it away!
    Rempo likes this.
  14. evilc

Do you need an instruction sheet to enjoy HF beers? Sounds too complicated - I just like to put the beer into my mouth and taste it.
  15. Not anymore than any other brewery, from the first sip of Anna it is clear that it has a subtle flavor profile.
  16. Russian River isn't a small brewery in the way that Hill Farmstead, East End, or COAST are though. If you are as small as those three and know that whatever you make will sell fairly quickly why give a multi-billion dollar company a share of your money? A few cents off of every dollar adds up quickly.
  17. evilc

So does the additional money people spend when they use a card.
  18. Blanco

As you admit, that's a small sample size. It's also sort of impossible to answer just how much cash they might be losing. But there is a reason most businesses allow the CC companies to cut into their profits. The entire concept of credit is to spend more than you have at the moment (for better or worse).
  19. evilc

I just don't like carrying cash. Pays to use credit.
  20. Blanco

that's also true. And for that reason I generally carry a lot less cash that I tend to spend.
  21. If you sell out of all your stock relatively quickly despite being cash only, I don't think this is really relevant.
  22. evilc

They sell 100% of everything for sale every morning and are then dry till the next bottling/kegging?
  23. stupac2

Because that's a good way to run a business :rolleyes:
  24. evilc

Read the thread. :rolleyes:

Comprehension would tell you I was responding to the previous posting saying they sell out cash only.

My reply was referencing the fact that perhaps the credit card could also be used to buy things other than the "hot item".
  25. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Hope you didn't just get the poor guy into trouble. ;)
  26. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

=/=

:D :D
    read better
    ;)
    Pahn likes this.
  27. stupac2

It doesn't matter, as long as they're selling their beer while it's good (and there's 0 reason to think they have trouble with that) then they don't need to take credit. I agree that they really ought to for customer convenience, but your argument is facile.
  28. My point was that if everything you have for sale is going to quickly sell out regardless there isn't any reason to give Visa 2% of your money. Both East End and COAST are operating at full capacity and aren't even close to meeting demand, so there is no benefit to them to start taking cards. I'm guessing Hill Farmstead is in the same situation. It's inconvenient to be sure, but if you want the beer you'll be willing to drive a couple more miles to an ATM.
    Pahn and franklinn like this.
  29. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

Wait has this thread really descended into questioning Hill's decision to not accept credit cards?
    They're doing fine without you.
    CypherEnigma, polishkaz, Pahn and 3 others like this.
  30. evilc

Are you their representative?
  31. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I love getting drunk and watching west coast BA's bicker on the interwebz.
  32. stupac2

Not as much as I do.
    franklinn likes this.
  33. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

what a dumb argument.
    silentjay and franklinn like this.
  34. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

yep
  35. SS #4 is my favorite HF beer, and I've had a lot. So, if you thought Everett was good...
  36. #4 actually left me speechless. I had no intention of drinking the whole bottle in one sitting, but every time I grabbed my glass it was empty and demanded to be refilled. It was perfectly balanced in every aspect.
  37. I'm a huge fan of HF...had several of their beers, been to the brewery, couldn't wait to get my hands on some Abner friday night at Farmhouse before the VTbrewfest, etc but I lost a little respect for them when I asked a simple honest question on their FB page last week about why they were only bringing 2 brews to the brewfest this past weekend (Edward and Walden)...their answer -- I'm assuming Shaun responds to all of the FB stuff?? Regardless, was that they "don't have any to spare". A) I thought that was kind of bs, and B) they deleted my post before I could respond...not very cool. I find it hard to believe this brewery wouldn't be prepared and wouldn't have enough beers to bring to one of the best run, one of the cheapest and best brewfests right in their backyard. People look forward to this brewfest 6 months prior! Its crazy. Am I being a little too harsh? I still love everything this guy brews, but I don't know, like I said, I lost a bit of respect for the whole operation when they essentially are too greedy or unprepared (depends on what the real truth is) to share more of their beers at this fest with their loving fans. Heck, some of the breweries (Bobcat and Lawson's) had 8+ brews that they brought. Unfortunately, my hype isn't as crazy as it once was.

Sorry to switch gears and bring up something somewhat negative, but I wanted to shed some new light on this thread.

Cheers!
    tewaris likes this.
  38. I am trying so hard to wait a few weeks to go up, I'm really hoping they still have it. I think I'll refill all 4 of my growlers with it and then get more.
  39. From what I was told, they are only filling the 750 growlers of it. I wouldn't wait that long, I doubt it will still be flowing.
    franklinn likes this.
  40. howopeeps

howopeeps Aficionado (175) Ohio Mar 7, 2011

How much is a good amount for the farmhouse festival. How much is food, drinks, bottles, camping