1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hill Farmstead hype

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, Jul 21, 2012.

1. S&S 3 lasted for a couple months. So naturally this won't lol. I only have 750s anyway, so at least that's not so bad.
  2. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Do we have any evidence that trade actually got done? From the looks of things, all we know is that someone asked for a Blabaer for Ann.
  3. I've never had any Hill Farmstead beers, but honestly, with a question like this I don't think I need to have tried it. In my experience dealing with beeradvocate's and people in general I think HF would not but nearly as well regarded if it were in San Diego.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Dealing with beeradvocate's what?
  5. DonFrap

DonFrap Savant (480) Massachusetts Feb 27, 2011

I had a blabaer offered for my bottle of Ann. The only reason I didn't take it is that I am not looking for that style at the moment.
    beerindex likes this.
  6. KAF

KAF Advocate (530) Iowa Jun 22, 2007

I have now had one beer from HF on tap, Edward, and I thought it was a very solid beer, but I think I was slightly disappointed in it solely because of all the hype that has surrounded the brewery and their beers. This is no fault of the brewery, but my own fault for hyping my expectations. I would love to try any of their other beers, but at the price I paid for Edward ($7/9oz) I am not sure I would get Edward again. I am happy to have been able to try it though and hope to try more of their beers in the future.
  7. Tickets for the Farmhouse Ale Festival are SOLD OUT ... only 300 available ...
  8. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

In other words, to summarize this post - "Hill Farmstead is good, but let's face it - no brewery could be near as good as breweries from my part of the country. Amirite?"
    commis likes this.

9. He should be fine waiting a few weeks. They recently brewed a 2nd batch of SS#4 (and yes, 750s only right now).
  10. Added an apostrophe on accident.
  11. If Portland beer geeks knew the difference between unintended infections and unique flavor profiles, would they still spend up to $75 on a bottle of HotD that the guy couldn't sell in the last 15 years? ....see how it works both ways? :)
  12. howopeeps

howopeeps Aficionado (175) Ohio Mar 7, 2011

I got a ticket was just wondering how much food, t-shirt/sweat shirts/ or anything else was so I bring enough
  13. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

A local beer store around here opened up last year and went quickly from being cash-only the first few months to accepting Visa and MC. I'm sure I was just one of many customers that didn't spend as much as they would of with a card (even with an ATM on site because no one likes paying the fees). HF is a bit different though... it's not like you just pop on over for a quick beer run. It's a planned destination beer run for most people and they make it pretty obvious on their website that they are cash-only. Knowing that, when I head over there this weekend, I'll take my budget into account and hit the ATM before I even leave town. Sure, from a customer service standpoint it would be convenient but they don't seem to have any problem selling out as cash-only.
  14. stevec32

stevec32 Savant (355) New York Mar 26, 2012

Im not going but from what i saw as a tap list i'd want to buy several extra "tasting" tickets at $5 a piece lets say thats $25. A few growlers to drink at $15. Tulip glass is like $7. I believe they have a bottle being released (altho I dont know how many per person) and you should get some everett or whatever else they have in bottles thats not limited. Now your up to maybe $150 and obviously if you are buying to trade it could be much more.
  15. On Sunday, the day after 3 sessions of Burlington Brewers Fest, Hill's was set-up to pour 3 beers from a cold-plate for the VT Cheesemakers Festival and sell some Vera Mae bottles. Shaun and Dan were pouring. There were only 3 breweries there (is a very wine-dominated event) and I was awfully grateful to have them there with some saisons - the other 2 were Long Trail and Otter Creek. (BTW, that event also sold out over a month ago, with 1,750 attendees.) Also, there were many of their kegs were being tapped around the Burlington/Waterbury area for people who got shut out of the Brewfest. And, retail sales at the brewery were going on as usual for all the visiting beer geeks making the pilgrimage to get what they wanted to take home. So, it was a huge volume weekend for them overall, and I was not surprised they had to parcel out what they had for the set-up at Brewfest. I prefer not to second-guess Shaun's biz-decisions on how he will try and distribute his beer around for the biggest beer weekend in the state of VT. So, why would you?
    grassrootsVT and franklinn like this.
  16. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Get your logic out of here. Can't you see that we are trying to figure out WHY people like good beer and talk about it on a discussion board that is all about beer?

Rabble rabble, I say!

(on a less sarcastic note, it is AMAZING the amount of HF that is on tap at the bars currently. )
  17. I got a blaeber and some other rare lambics with the first bottles ever released from HF, on ratebeer.

So it got done almost two years ago. BA just took a while to catch on.
  18. rudzud

rudzud Advocate (620) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2010

I live in Worcester, MA and HF is roughly a 4 hour drive. I have zero problem driving there once a month to get my fix for both drinking and "cooking" and do some minor trading. While I don't knowingly ask for the moon so to speak, I can understand why some do. Just about everything they produce is outstanding. Its tough really, trading HF that is. Lets say you get a growler of Society and Solitude 4 (my personal favourite growler fill they've ever offered). Its a "readily" accessable beer for those who live in the area, but just because it costs $13 for a fill (growler + fill) does that mean it should only get a readily accessable $13 beer from the other traders area? Most of the time that HF beer is at the top of its class for that style, and thats a fact that really should be factored in. Do I think a single bottle should get a JJ Blauw, probably not. Then again, I kind of find it hard to believe that if most of us had one of those bottles and someone offered something of epic proportions we would turn it down and ask for a DFH 750mL instead.

And for the record, the hype really only works for the bottle releases. Hell, I couldnt get a Peche n Brett for any growler fills.
    KAF and miketd like this.
  19. rudzud

rudzud Advocate (620) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2010

I'll be there..with probably $300 or so. T's are $20, sweats uhh..$35? unsure. food, no one knows yet. tasting tickets are $5 a pop (your ticket comes with 5). Also, as I'm sure you read when you bought the ticket, they wont serve you beer unless you have a HF glass, which you'll have to buy there or bring with you (glass is $7 for a tulip and $5 for the typical wine tasting glass)
  20. franklinn

sweats are $40 i believe
  21. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

I had Edward and it was awesome! Looking forward to trying more from them.
  22. Edward is their least impressive pale IMO, which is only the case because the others are incredible. So good luck trying more.
    KAF likes this.
  23. Heatwave33

I thought it was great! If you send me some I'll drink it :p
  24. If I can get some extra. It's only 400 miles from me. I'm hoping to make the trip for some Society & Solitude 4 before it's out. And it is great, just the others are greater!
  25. franklinn

Edward really is great, but often over shadowed by some of the bigger offerings. It's a fantastic staple but it doesn't pack the punch of some of the imperials. I still find myself ordering it while I'm out :)
    nrs207 likes this.
  26. Heatwave33

That would be AWESOME if you could! I'm 3 hours from CCB so I feel you.
  27. This is pretty much what I meant. I'd drink it any time, just not if Abner was an option instead or something like that.
    franklinn likes this.
  28. franklinn

Ugh... Abner.... what an awesome brew. I've been stuck on SS#4 lately, but a fresh growler of Abner is truly extraordinary.
  29. I have only had Edward on cask, and even though not "dropped bright" completely it was still excellent. The only beer from HF that didn't impress me was What is Enlightenment?
  30. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Aficionado (160) Vermont Nov 16, 2006

I disagree. They are currently selling every drop of beer they can produce for cash. Why lose 3% or whatever the credit card company charges to sell the same amount of beer? What often ends up happening when places take credit cards is they raise their prices by 3% for all of their customers, including the cash customers, and everyone pays more.
  31. W.W.A.J.S
    What would Adam Jackson say?
    CADMixes, miketd and chcfan like this.
  32. Not only the best American brewery going right now, but I think the "hype" you perceive on these sites doesn't even do their beer justice as most of the people reviewing and commenting on their beers have not been able to try them fresh on tap or at the brewery...

Shaun and Dan are doing things that simply are not matched right now. They aren't overly "groundbreaking" but as my brother says "every beer he makes is so refined you can just tell it came out EXACTLY as he wanted it to taste"

You can start as many threads as you want trying to lessen the hype by labeling their beers as "average" but I feel the hype doesn't even do them justice.

I routinely take a day-long trip (about once a month) to the brewery (350 miles from my house). I cannot fit enough of their beer in my car to keep my friends and family fully stocked and happy.

Everything they put out is great to amazing. even their "misses" are above average.

the fact that you are trying to detract from them just shows that what they are doing on such a small scale has made such a big impact with little to no distribution that no amount of "hype" can do them justice.
  33. I agree, being the only brewery in a town of less than 1,000 people is hardly a business advantage.

more likely, creating a product in such a small market and having its effects (word of mouth, acclaim, "hype") reach across the country is just a testament to the quality, not the local "hype" as there are few to no locals to really hype it.
  34. the whole post made no sense. was he (or she) agreeing or disagreeing?
    either way, without having had any of their beers, the opinion is rather meaningless.
  35. didn't I send you some in your wedding package????
  36. if you are basing your opinions of a brewery on way you have had at festivals, you don't really have a complete idea of the refinement, balance, and overall experience that you get from a Hill Farmstead beer.

At the last EBF, Damon was my biggest "disappointment." Shaun contacted me to come up to the release anyways and convinced me that I'd enjoy the bottle or else he'd refund my money (off the record). I went to the release, bought my Damon and was BLOWN AWAY.

festivals and tastings are great, but you really ought to head up there.
  37. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

38. I appreciate the added info on their busy weekend...so now I get that, however I still thought it was sketchy them deleting my FB post about questioning their limited brews at brewfest. Its almost like you can only post on their fb page if you're praising their beer...lots of brown-nosers out there. Either way, its moot and its all good. I got my fix of HF this past weekend and can't wait for more.
    Cheers!
  39. franklinn

A facebook for a business isn't a personal page, it's a promotional space. If I were running a business and you posted something I didn't want on my page, I'd delete it too. That would probably be a question better suited for a message to them instead of posting on their wall.

I didn't see the comment, so I don't truly know. But most businesses are aware at this point that FB is one of their most powerful marketing devices, if used to its full potential. This is likely why your post got deleted. A business can (and should) be removing any comments that could potentially damage their reputation or brand. Discussing it on here is 100% different, of course, because this is the appropriate venue for discussions like that.
    duchessedubourg likes this.
  40. I think it does live up to the hype. I went there last summer and tried 5 of there beers (Edward, Clara, Earl, Galaxy and Simcoe) and all of them were excellent. At the time I had no idea of the hype surrounding them and I was just looking for breweries I could visit while we were on vacation in vermont. The 750ml bottle of Galaxy I brought home was amazing, probably the best double IPA I have ever had.