1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hill Farmstead hype

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, Jul 21, 2012.

1. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Hmm, ill have to keep that in mind. Try and workout a big trade HF stuff.
  2. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I have nothing against HF, HT, or VT in general, but any time you get these crazy hyped beers, it's hard for the beer to live up to it. Heady and Pliny don't really live up to the hype and Westy definitely doesn't. All fine beers in their own right as HF is I'm sure.

That's really just my stance on crazy-hyped beers in general.
    jhhollier and BreakingBad like this.
  3. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I will be getting some Lawson's, Heady Topper, and Hill Farmstead over the Thanksgiving holiday (my sister lives in Waterbury). I've never had any Three Floyd's, BM me and perhaps we can get a trade together.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I have enjoyed everything I've tried from HF, but some things like Abner are just so amazing.
    MarkF150 likes this.
  5. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Shaun is making some real special stuff.
    ILOVESTOUTS likes this.
  6. Of course yes. Look at the ratings.
  7. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

8. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

Been all hype to me thus far... Only had a few offerings but nothing yet has really "Wowed" me.
  9. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Overhyped but a good brewery.
  10. This thread reminds me....I better hop on the trade forums and seek out more HF beers....perhaps some Heady too! Om Nom Nom
  11. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Best brewery in the US...no way. Brewing some of the most impressive beers in the US, absolutely. One dude, local dist, how can you consider that the best brewery in the states?

Not saying you have to be big to the best, but I think being able to provide your product to the consumer (without third parties illegally mailing them to each other) counts for something...not that I haven't traded for HF in the past ;-)
    Errto likes this.
  12. Vera Mae is one of the best beers I have ever had...E. and Society and Solitude #4 from growler blew my mind as well...AMAZING brewery!

Lol Pixieskid's comment...
  13. Then you must be doing it wrong.
    stmgl01 and Jnorton00 like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Is it possible you are judging the beers from HF more harshly because of their hype?
  15. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Really wish I had known about this brewery a few years ago when I was living in New England! Definitely hoping to track some down sometime as they sound pretty fantastic.
  16. HF is really really good. Multiple styles (wilds, saisons, stouts, porters, IPA, BA ect) all done real well. Constantly pushing the envolope with the beers. To me this is the sign of a great brewer/brewery. It's much easier to stick with one style/beer but to do so many different ones so well is quite unusual. I haven't ticked a ton of stuff but everything I have tried has been either real good or world class.

I that being said they are a relatively new brewey and consistancy of a period of time is key to truly being great.
    Let's see if they are still pumping out consistantly delicious 2-3 years from now. They are small now and I would expect/hope that they will expend in the future. I am curious how this will effect the quality and experimentation going on there. I suspect that they will remain excellent cause I know Sean devloped his brewing chops with some of the best brewers in Europe before he started brewing back here and he also has a obsession with quality that is 2nd to none. When I have traveled over to Europe the reaction of European beer geeks (Danes, Brits, Dutch, Belgians ect) when I have brought bottles to share says it all. Even they freakout over the quality and some of the styles they freaked out over are styles that are traditional to them. He's doing better Saisons than the Belgians! lol
  17. Farmstead? Yes or no?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I hope you get the idea.
  18. The fact that a brewery being run out of guys garage is even being mentioned as one of the top breweries is amazing. Maybe it is "overhyped", whatever that means, but just to be in that conversation is an accomplishment. I think their beer is amazing and i'm very thankful i only live 4 hours away.
  19. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Def a must try brewer. Good luck finding them outside of New England.
  20. Knapp85

Don't believe so, I go into every beer hoping that it's a great one. Perhaps the stuff I've had isn't their best. It's too much of a hassle also to get most of these beers in my area as well. I'll continue to try them as I come across them. I hope that one day I can see the light on HF.
  21. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (370) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

I was going to give them a try but the weight people are putting on these are crazy. I was offered Anna straight across for Fou Foune. Thanks but I'll keep my FF.
  22. Given the likelihood that Hill Farmstead will ever be distributed to Seattle is next to nil, I've put HF out of my mind. And given that trading is expensive and a huge hassle, I have for my own sanity chosen to focus my attention on locally available beers. Fortunately, I live in a Mecca of distribution and have access to Fremont, Boneyard, Black Raven, Cascade, Upright, Hair of the Dog, Russian River, Firestone Walker, AleSmith, etc., etc. I think I'll live without HF, Heady Topper, and the like.
    draheim likes this.
  23. you should lock down Ann. No one knows about it yet, get it man.
    paulys55, Gosox8787 and libbey like this.
  24. What beers do have "wow" factors? A legitimate question...
  25. FF and Anna are both overhyped BTW. It would be one superhyped psydo-whale for another. The fact that people pay 50+ at bars for Fou Foune is beyond me.

Not saying FF isn't awesome. It is. But the hype on that beer is off the charts considering it is a regular seasonal offering which is shipped all over the world.
  26. Knapp85

Well personally some of the beers that really surprised me and that I've enjoy over the years are things like:

Nemesis 09
    Heady Topper
    Baladin Xyauyù
    CBS
    Dark Island Reserve
    Parabola
    PtY
    Wet

Just a few of my favorites... basically anything I've either tasted or smelled and said to myself "wow".
  27. All overhyped.

Kidding, kidding.

I have a bottle of '11 Parabola. Never tried it. Still haven't gotten around to it. Should I crack it this week?

Last HF beer I tried was Nor. It was a collaboration with Cigar City (I think). I thought it was amazing.
  28. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (370) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

Anna is currently on the shelf, FF may not be a huge whale but it certainly should pull more than a $10 beer that is currently available with no limit. BTW I countered with a $4$ and was never replied too so I was not asking for the moon.
    franklinn likes this.
  29. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Someone offering you one Anna for a FF is a joke... Serious lowball offer.
  30. I agree and I wasn't knocking you. One is a shelf whale (albiet a shelf in the middle of nowhere) the other they make a ton of but the demand is high (you have to be at the right place at the right time) . I wouldn't do that trade either BTW. FF is awesome stuff and I can't imagine many better beers.
  31. Hill Farmstead is the best brewery in America hands-down. They're not just hype for a small brewery with small distro like so many claim them to be. They make the best hoppy beers and the best saisons of any brewery I've ever had, and their porters are second-to-none as well.

I just did a count and I've had 41 of the 76 HF beers listed on BA. I think I've maybe been disappointed 3 or 4 times out of 41 (Florence, Daybreak, Clara batch 1, Earl). The rest all ranged from great to unbelievable!
  32. Knapp85

As for aging/opening a bottle of something is entirely up to you. I had Parabola on draft last November at an event I went to and it made me wanna cry tears of joy. I can't say whether to open it or not. I would hope that after a year it would be good, I would hope after many years it would be still good. So it's really up to you, I do believe that you'll like it a lot though regardless. As I mentioned before I have no doubts that HF makes good/better beers than what I've had so far. I would love to try all of HF's brews but since they're near impossible to I don't even bother.
  33. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I've only had 6-7 HF offerings so take my opinion fwiw. Their hoppy beers are stunning. The other offerings I've had (BoT, Everett, Vera Mae, etc) have been damn good but nothing exceptional.

The problem for me is, the asking price is just too high for me to justify trading for them. I'd happily drink Ephraim, Abner, Double Citra, etc all the time but they just aren't worth trading for on a regular basis.
  34. dunix

dunix Savant (405) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

My local brewery is Hill Farmstead. If I moved some where else I would never, ever, ever trade for a HF IPA (especially Ephraim). Honestly, it really saddens me that so many people will judge his beer from a growler that is like a month old. Growler filled IPAs just don't last that long, and really shouldn't be traded for IMO.

Make the trip to Vermont; it is a beautiful state.
  35. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

I think this is a dbag comment. In case you haven't noticed, this is a small community of craft beer enthusiasts, many of whom do not live anywhere near Vermont. We all get to hear about the amazing local beers being produced all over the US, that gets many of us excited. trading for or purchasing online is often the only feasible way to get to try these beers. So you think people who live in say Indianapolis Indiana should just hop in the wagon and drive 18 hours to come for a visit? Having a BA get to enjoy a growler of some Hill Farmstead beer that was not filled that day, via a trade, is frankly a good problem to have.
  36. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

I could not disagree with you more. My local brewery is NOT Hill Farmstead. I don't live anywhere near Vermont. However, my BA friend Gpawned hooked up a trade and called me to come visit him after he got his box. For the price of gas, I was introduced to Society & Solitude 5. This is maybe my favorite beer I have ever had. Could be that I just really got swept up in the moment that my friend would share the 750ml of his unobtainable beer with me, or maybe it really is that good. I don't know, it was perfect at the time.

I don't have time to take away from my family and work or hundreds of dollars for travel and lodging. I don't need it. I have great friends.

Seems to me you are in a spot to get some folks some fresh HF with very little effort. Let me know if you change your mind.
  37. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

The thing is, visiting the place is truly like going somewhere out of the way, unique, isolated and very special, if kind of simple. IF you really love beer, and good drink, it's worth it to go visit I think every beer nut/geek/fiend whatever should really just go at some point in their life.

I lucked out cause a friend of mine now literally lives 10-15 minutes away from the place. I visited him already once and can't wait for a time I can go back to HF. Edward is EVERYWHERE in Vermont, it's practically like the Budweiser of Vermont (in terms of availability I mean :D ).

Can you survive skipping it, sure of course if you get other brews you really enjoy, but it's very memorable, and of course the brews are truly exceptional. I can only think of one that might not have been and it was otherwise pretty solid.
  38. dunix

You can think it is a dbag comment, but I've seen first hand people give up a ton to get a growler of it, and it turns out that it is awful, oxidized beer, and it is probably month or two old. I guess you just have to get good traders. Bottled beers are a different story. If he started bottling his IPAs I'd say ship that all day long. It is more about the vessel.

Although I did say the last comment in jest, if you can, you should come to Vermont.
  39. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

Who are you crapping?
  40. dunix

Switchback is more this than Edward. It is actually hard to find in NEK (even though the brewery is in that region) and southern VT.