1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hill Farmstead hype

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by black13, Jul 21, 2012.

1. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

I would rather watch all sporting events live. Doesn't mean I shouldn't watch them on TV because they are better in person. I don't disagree it would be worth the trip, I just cant swing it. Sounds like a truly wonderful place and I imagine I will go at some point, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy their beer now.
  2. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Last I was there it was all over in that sorta... North East area I guess you could call it., although I do remember many times my friend telling me other areas of the state are kind of in their own little places to some degree, so it doesn't surprise me that some places would never see it? Loved the fact there was always HF up at Parker Pie.
  3. I am going to side with Dunix here. I think he may have been mis-understood.
    I consider HF my local brewery... That happens to be 4 hours away. It's that good! I believe what Dunix was implying was, that unless you have a growler of HF a few days after it being poured, you are not getting the full experience. His solution: Visit the brewery!
    I can tell you that when I trade for HF, I am insanely anal retentive about from pour to your doorstep being less than 6 days. Ask anybody I trade with. I agree with Dunix, 3-4 week old growlers of any HF pour are doing the consumer a disservice.
    That being said... If you ever would like to try a fresh growler of HF, BM me, we can make it work.
  4. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

This. Although I'm really only talking about his IPAs (Abner, Ephraim, S+S, etc). Earl could easily stand up to a few weeks, but some of the more delicate Saisons don't age well in the growler. That is probably why they seem to be going into bottles more than kegs(growlers).
  5. Anyone else think Hill Farmstead is overrated?

Before I say anything, I think its wonderful that a small brewery can make a huge impact on the craft beer scene, especially in just three years.

However, I don't see what the big deal is about their beers? I have not had all of them, but the one's I've had haven't been special. I had Society and Solitude #4 on draft (currently ranked #54) and thought it was average. Their porter was below average.

Do many people just rate their beers high because they are hard to come by?
  6. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

7. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I don't think they are overrated, but I'm with you on Everett. I've had it a few times and don't understand the big deal, but palates with be pallets.
  8. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Porters imo are generally boring and leave me wanting more.

I've had Abner and Ephraim and those were excellent.

I don't think they are overrated - just not ALL of their beers are "world class 1 punch knockout omg walez bro". I've had Everett, Clara, Arthur, Anna, Twilight, Abner, and Ephraim. m0ar please.
  9. I've had twilight of the idols and everett, which I would say are probably my #2 and #1 porters, respectively. SS#5 and Abner literally changed the way I view (D)IPAs. Obviously you're going to get a lot of different opinions on the subject, but I enjoy most HF DIPAs more than heady topper. Not to mention the fact that their saisons are literally the best in the world.

I'm total fanboy I know but seriously, HF changed my perspective on beer. I love their business model, and their approach to sales.
    jplally and Lukaduke like this.
  10. evilc

VaS is still untouchable in the Porter category for me.
    BAstoutsNsours likes this.
  11. I dont know, but it seems people rate them high just because its from Hill Farmstead. I have nothing against the brewery nor have I had all their offering, it just seems that they have entered a category where people will biasedly praise whatever they make.
  12. evilc

I don't. I live 12 miles from Alpine and have had heated arguments with Shaun @ HF. Trust me, if his beer wasn't stellar, I'd say it.
  13. Seriously with this thread? Their beer is really good, OK? If it wasn't, people wouldn't give a shit about them.
  14. Not true. People will rate rare beers higher than common beers.

I'm guilty of doing this, as I am sure many other people on here do the same. I'm not trashing HF by any means, I'm just asking if they are overrated and getting praised simply based on the HF name and the exclusivity. That is all.
    TWStandley, buffs9 and Bierman9 like this.
  15. I can see where you're coming from and to each his own. I personally loved Susan, James and Simcoe. I guess you can't argue with your taste buds. Although I may get some heat for this, I though Juicy was just ok.
  16. Of course. I agree with you 100% about rare or limited beers being rated higher. But to come on here and call out a brewery for being "overrated" after trying two of their beers is just plain dumb. And for the record, the term "overrated" is just about the single most "over"-used description for a beer or brewery I can think of. It's a tired, cliche way of saying you can't think of anything more nuanced to say. Drink more of their beers before you make a blanket statement about them.
    bierdabbler and jacksback like this.

17. Tell us what you really like and we'll give you our opinion of them too.
  18. Ok then I'll used over hyped? I have not tasted all of their offerings, I just based my comments on the two beers I tried on draft, which are current rated in the top 54 (with less than 100 ratings each). I was up in Waterbury and Heady Topper was in a different stratosphere than the other two.

All I'm saying is that I personally think HF is similar to Founders in which people will just say their beers are good because of the brand name. While many of their beers may be great, all get elevated higher based on their name. That is all.
  19. Your answer lies within the responses given in this thread ... to some people yes and some people no. You and Patrick mentioned you thought Everett was subpar, I and a couple others rate it stupidly high. To me it's one of the best standard American Porters (not fair to compare it to VaS, which is imperial and flavored). To each their own man .... I had the pleasure of having the S&S 5 on tap and gotta say it was one of the finest DIPAs I've ever had. I think they do good work and don't rate them that way bc they're hard to get, they simply taste good.
    cfrances33 and ILOVESTOUTS like this.
  20. jawneyt

jawneyt Aficionado (235) Wisconsin Mar 14, 2012

I just did a quick count off their website and I've actually had 17 diff HF beers this past year. I would say 6 of them rank in my top ten all time beers. I would choose an Edward Pale Ale over any other you could offer up and would gladly drink one every day if I could maintain that sort of supply. Its an absolutely phenomenal beer and I didn't really like it that much the first time I tried it. But after the second one...I was hooked. Everyone has different tastes, but I've yet to find anyone sharing my HF hauls not to be super impressed with the quality of beers produced out of their shop.

I don't think you've tried enough of their stuff and perhaps if you had some other galaxy/citra beers out on the market to compare to S&S4, you might have had a different opinion.

I've been to over 100 breweries in the past two years and HF is clearly best in my book. I'd give them another shot and try some different things if I were you.
    HopsHopenstein, pjl44 and evilc like this.
  21. I love Edward buuuuuttttt in terms of American Pales, hard to beat out Zombie Dust brah .... Jussss sayin :)
  22. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I hate hype in general. I adore HF and the beers I've had from them. Overrated? Maybe a tad considering how much Ann and Mimosa pull in, but that's just the state of the trade scene. Everett is the best porter I've ever had and S&S5 is one of the best hoppy beers I have ever had.
    wittyname and cfrances33 like this.
  23. Overrated, no fucking way!

Overhyped, most certainly, especially in the trading community.
  24. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I've had 24 different HF beers in the last couple of years and really liked 23 of them (the Clara grisette didn't do much for me, and from what I've read, the original grisettes in Belgium were never anything to get excited about so it's probably historically accurate). I'd call about 10-12 of them world class and the rest just really good.
    franklinn and davey101 like this.
  25. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

For the record, I don't think Everett is sub par. Far from it. I just don't think its the best porter.
  26. This. People hype the small bottle releases...I'm there regularly for the consistently impressive ipa's and amazing saisons.

skivtjerry, I recommend revisiting Clara, I had a similar impression the few times I had had it, but recently was given a pour and found it much, much better...different yeast or that house microflora, I think.
    cfrances33 likes this.
  27. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Savant (490) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

They make great beers, and as with every hard to find beers some are hyped correctly and others are vastly inflated. I'm just glad there is so much competition and attention paid to the New England beer scene, and breweries like HF help in both those categories
  28. I don't know if they are overrated but I'm sure as hell sick of hearing about them
  29. Get use to being sick bro
    skivtjerry and youbrewidrink like this.
  30. until the next big thing
    jamvt, RMoeNay and WeymouthMike like this.
  31. For me I think the hype and talk is warranted. There are select breweries that continuely make amazing beer Hill Farmstead is 1 of those breweries. Shaun e. Hill has created a handful of some of the best beers I have had the opportunity to try thus far. The beers he makes are thoughtfully planned, detailed, and always well made. When a brewery makes styles of beer I dont like and shows me how they should taste, it sets them apart from the others (imo). Hill Farmstead beer has broaden my horizons in the world of beer. I will be drinking Hill Farmstead for as long as they make beer regardless of hype, rankings, and rating. Cheers!
    FrankLloydMike and cfrances33 like this.
  32. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Just wait another year. I'm sure some secluded farmhouse small batch brewery in Northern Idaho will be the next flavor of BA. Mmmmmm, potato saison....
    franklinn likes this.
  33. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I've never had a chance to try a Hill Farmstead brew, so as far as I'm concerned they're unrated.

But I can imagine that a beer you make a day-trip of acquiring by driving way out into the beautiful, remote reaches of rural Vermont will likely be a beer you rate highly.
  34. what about to people who drink Hill Farmstead in the Midwest and California? All they have to do is open their front door, open a box, and proceed to drink. I don't think there is a regional bias here, the beer being crafted in Greensboro really is that good.
    DoctorRock and cfrances33 like this.
  35. This is so stupid.
  36. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I don't care about their opinions. Opening boxes is easy.

I care about the opinions of persons willing to drive for hours and hours to get the beer.
  37. cfrances33

cfrances33 Champion (750) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

What do you mean you don't care about their opinions? Numerous review scores for HF are from those constituencies. You can't neglect regional opinion simply because they didn't put time, energy, and gas into acquiring the beer.

EDIT: I'll put it like this. I've never gone to Hill Farmstead, so I've never "driven hours and hours to get their beer." However, I have had upward of 20 or more of their offerings. They are without question among the best beers I've ever had, and the collective catalog is in my opinion the best there is. Thus, my opinion has nothing to do with the effort put forth to acquire said beer.

I will however, be driving from New Jersey to Hill Farmstead for the first time in January, even when there is not a slated special release, simply because I love their beer, want to experience it first hand, and meet Shaun Hill. All that effort based on an opinion that required very little.
    oldp0rt likes this.
  38. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

Yes, they are overrated. Stop drinking it. I'll take your share :) For that matter, Alchemist and Lawson's are also overrated. I'll take your share of them too.
    mfrigon, InspectorBob and franklinn like this.
  39. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011