1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hill Farmstead Releases

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Crookdrain, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (385) New York Jan 13, 2010

I'm trying to plan a road trip up to HF this spring around my 32nd birthday (end of April/early May), and was hoping to hit up one of their bottle releases. I have no idea how they go though - can some kind BAer provide me with info on how HF conducts their bottle releases? Thanks!
  2. chuckycheese

chuckycheese Aficionado (170) Maine Feb 18, 2010

3. Lately they've been placing all new bottles on the shelf on Wednesdays to start the week. If you look at the dates listed on their bottle release schedule it appears that's the plan for the time being too.

In the past there would be several bottles released on a Saturday, and generally you could get a glass of a couple different offerings for $5 while waiting in line. Of course this creates a need for a bunch of parking which is probably unfeasible in the winter at this point, plus more work all around to deal with the crowd and ensuing 2+ hour wait to get growlers filled.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did 1-2 big bottle releases per year (Damon maybe?) in the snowless months, but your going to come regardless so there's no need for a big spectacle. Even the extremely limited releases have been lasting 2-3 weeks after getting put out
  4. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (385) New York Jan 13, 2010

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to be able to grab either the Oud Bruin or the Flanders as well as the regular stuff.
  5. codysjb

codysjb Savant (390) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Check out their FB when it gets closer to the dates listed on the release site. Most of the bottles dont have actual weeks and dates listed and that info is usually communicated through Facebook when Shaun decides to post it.

And HF releases are kinda like fight club... we dont talk about them since the more talk equals more awareness equals more people skipping work to buy bottles and making them harder to get.
  6. You should come up for the anniversary party in May.
  7. That is my plan... The harvest festival was a beast, but I'm going to miss not having the VIP thing the night before. That was some of the best few hours of my life.
  8. dunix likes this.
  9. Yeah, I'm going to totally need a 'trustee' in VT...any volunteers?? I will amaze you with marginal S.C. beers for taking on the task!
    JxExM likes this.
  10. I saw the little blurb on their site about this, and I was like I gotta get on that. What a great way to save us folk who don't want to drive 15 hour round trips for 1 bottle some time. Going up twice a year for the festivals is tough enough but they're so worth it.
  11. Crazy expensive though at $34 a bottle, especially considering many of the bottles will be 500ml or even 375ml.
    brewbetter likes this.
  12. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

Depends on what else is included. In addition to the beers, there will at least be four glasses.
  13. Yeah exactly. Who knows what the finals details will be. And besides, I'll actually be able to cut back on buying other special releases locally if I have those. As opposed to making a dozen trips to Vermont, it doesn't sound so bad. I won't lie, I would love to see more than a dozen bottles and 4 glasses for $400 though.
  14. I do feel the price is a touch high, but for some of us in areas nowhere near VT, it may be our best shot.
  15. codysjb

I was really interested until I saw the price. At 34$ a bottle when HF is going to smaller bottle sizes for many beers its just too much. I realize if there were ANY bottle of beer I would pay 34$ for it would be one of the HF bottles but when they are being sold normally this turns into a reservation society that charges you nearly double the price per bottle. Sure it saves gas money, but I wouldn't drive up for all 12 bottles anyway since I dont necessarily want every beer just some of the more interesting ones.
    brewbetter and DogfishTail like this.
  16. I'm anticipating some other stuff being involved. Holding beer for 150 people and charging 2x the price to do so doesn't seem like something Shaun would do. Those glasses contribute probably $10 a piece too. I'm going to try and get in on it regardless, but I'm waiting to see the final details before I judge how good of a value it is.
  17. FYI- The $400 price is not set in stone and I know there are a few other things included, but Shaun hasn't revealed all the details...just a few so people could start seriously considering the membership
    SupremePie, codysjb and nrs207 like this.
  18. That is what I figured. Feel like people are jumping the gun a bit considering we don't know everything.
  19. codysjb

I don't mean to jump the gun too much. As nrs207 said, this doesn't seem like a typical Shaun thing to do. He's a good guy and your right this really doesnt have the whole HF spirit coming out since Shaun seems to adhere to the highest standard of beer advocacy.