1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hill Farmstead Third Anniversary

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Andrew61923, Dec 4, 2012.

1. tubbnik

tubbnik Savant (325) Pennsylvania Apr 21, 2006

wantwantwantwantwant

franklinn likes this.
  2. I have about a million questions but I'll wait for more details to be released.

3. jomobono

jomobono Savant (400) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012

Food to 11pm, about the time I'll get my jasper hill grilled cheese sandwich!

4. I plan on attending this. VIP if possible

5. Connoisseur you mean!

6. Yes, that.

7. kinopio

kinopio Savant (375) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

Did this sell out quickly last year?

8. I'm going to do everything I can to buy tickets. I hope the ticketing system is prepared for the attack of 97% of beer geeks within 1000 miles of Greensboro, because Maximus is unleashing hell on their servers at 7pm on Feb 3. Can't wait!

cfrances33 likes this.
  9. Nice little price bump this year :(

10. BobCobb

BobCobb Savant (355) Illinois Jul 10, 2012

Getting married the next day so won't be able to make this one...

<mulls George Costanza delay tactics>

11. Yeah, last year's Mother of All Storms debacle should have nothing on the pain their servers will feel over this one if they aren't ready for it.

This would sell out at 3x the current price.

12. Pretty sure this would sell out at 20x the current price...but then it'd be yuppy Wall Street beer geeks only, and that's no fun for anyone. Price looks great to me!

13. I wasn't commenting on what they could charge, I'm commenting on the fact that the price is going up.

Maybe they should charge $100 for the regular session so only the ballerest of ballers from Boston and NYC can afford to attend :rolleyes:

14. That sounds like a cool party bro

15. sounds like a great event - I'm hoping to make it back to HF for this :cool:

16. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

I will be driving from Tampa, FL. 1,479 miles FTW!

oldp0rt, YogiBeer and franklinn like this.
  17. I'm bummed to read that this will be a ticketed event this year. I've gone to the past two, and last year convinced a friend to join at the last minute. It seemed like there was ample space and never too much of a line, so I'm surprised to see that they're doing tickets this year. That said, they run their events very well and I'm sure they have a good reason for restricting the size. After all, there's only so much space for parking and only so much those porta-potties can take. I'm still hoping to go this year, but it will require more advanced commitment. Then again, I've been planning to go this year since I left the anniversary party last year.

18. Shaun has said that the tickets give a much better ability to properly handle logistics regarding portapotties, food, beer lines, etc. With a show up model, 300-800 people could attend, which is hard to plan for.

19. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

I definitely want to try for a connoisseur ticket as I have been unable to purchase anything VIP-related due to quick sell-out of the tickets.

20. kingcrowing

kingcrowing Advocate (550) Vermont Mar 24, 2009

Surprising that they're announcing this so far in advance. But it was a lot of fun last year so hopefully I can make it up again!

21. Kicking the idea around, to fly up from upstate S.C. To Burlington, then grab a rental car. Hell, I'd much rather drive, but 1100 miles in a car makes my skin crawl just to think about. This needs some carpool action!

22. grassrootsVT

grassrootsVT Initiate (0) Vermont May 10, 2005

It's actually not a price increase. 40$ will either include all of your beers that day (unlimited 4 to 6 oz samples) or, if we change our mind, enough 'full glass' tickets (formerly 5$) to make you happy. Also included this year is the tasting glass (not an additional 5$ charge), as well as camping. So... to reiterate: Formerly: 25$ per general admission (included 4 x 5$ drink tickets). Then 5$ for camping. Then 5$ for the glass, if you didn't have one. We have streamlined it to make it more simple. It is not a price increase - it's a more inclusive event in order to streamline admission and enjoyment. Likewise, 3 bands. Food vending through late night. Earlier camping admission. Etc.
    Tickets are restricted to a particular number in order to know how much food, how many toilets, how much parking, etc etc. General Admission without advance ticket sales is impossible to plan.

oldp0rt, gpawned, ncaudle and 27 others like this.
  23. How do bottle buying limits work? Limits on the more rare stuff, but year round brews are limitless? Just wondering how much I can load up on if I fly up from S.C. I know this years details are still to come, but based on previous years, how did it work.

Thanks

24. grassrootsVT

"Generic" bottled beers (ie. not aged in a barrel) typically have no limit. Limits on the more limited releases. This year at our events, there will be no growler fills on Saturday during the event. There will, however, still be bottle sales on Saturday. Growler fills will be on Friday from 12pm to 6pm and then briefly on Sunday from 10am to 2pm. This is all subject to change... the growler filling line is simply too great for us to handle during events and is not a pleasant experience for anyone involved...

gpawned, ncaudle, makdeco and 5 others like this.

25. I will agree with this...at the Saison festival last year while I did enjoy the calendar page waiting technique, I did miss out on a couple of my most wanted beers at the festival due to the fact that they were tapped while my "month" was due to be called at the growler line and there was no way to know this other than standing there watching the dry erase board. definitely missed Mimosa becaus of this, and also not to nit pick but while I was in line the decision was also made to split bottles to a second line so I ended up having to wait in a second line even though those before me went through a single line and this caused me to miss out on one of the limited bottles releasd that day. People who started getting in line only for bottles got them before myself even though I had been in line substantially longer, not to mention their line "bouncer" if you will who let non festival attendees into the bottle line even though they were not there for the event and should have not been able to get in before other attendees. Overall this was a solid event just a couple logistical nightmares. Please do not let pele jump lines just because they drove far and did not know it was an event day, I have many close friends who missed out and I saw several people let in the lines that were not festival attendees before those that bought tickets.

Cheers,

James

grassrootsVT likes this.
  26. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

So this may be a stupid question but I am going to go ahead and ask. Are the tickets for sale at the brewery only on February 3rd? There is a chance that I will be able to attend on May 25th, but it drops significantly if I have to drive from Ohio to buy tickets also.

If they are brewery only, will the brewery be open for beer sales on February 3rd? (They are typically closed Sunday?) Would be nice to buy some beer in the middle of my 28 hour drive, along with tickets.

If available on-line or by phone, how / where do I make that work?

Sorry for the noob questions, but maybe someone who has done this before can give me a guess as to how it worked last time.

27. Mr. Modern, tickets will be sold online. I expect it will sell out quickly, so be sure to be near the Internets at the designated time.

28. Lukaduke

Lukaduke Aficionado (165) Maine May 22, 2012

Sounds like another great event ! I applaud Hill Farmstead for listening to the comments about past festivals and tweaking things... early check in to the campground and including the "extra" fee's in with the price will allow for much easier load in... that and having attended the Harvest Fest and knowing what to expect should make this upcoming event stress free and even more enjoyable than last.

DrEntropy and grassrootsVT like this.
  29. Tzonis

Tzonis Initiate (15) Dec 31, 2012

This looks like an amazing event... Have to try and clear my calendar to make it!

30. jomobono

What the HELL!! I kept getting a message that said there were not tickets that matched your request after I entered in the Captcha right at 7pm. Did anyone else get this message? How did their experience go?

31. t8000shx

t8000shx Savant (305) New York Mar 2, 2004

This was the case with a huge number of people (me and 3 friends included). Quite a few comments on their facebook page at the moment. Sounds like a combination of huge demand and website fail.

32. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

I tried from 7PM until 7:20PM...gave up and called Ticket Alternative. I was told they sold out in 2 minutes...Shaun has verified that they've sold out.

33. jomobono

I'm so pissed right now, this happened to me:

Hill Farmstead Brewery
    We are very sorry to hear that so many people experienced technical/web based difficulties with Ticket Alternative. We didn't have any difficulties last Fall using Ticket Alternative - but it sounds as if this is enough to warrant us complaining to Ticket Alternative and moving onward to a new provider. VERY SORRY for all of this. We do our best to make it as fair as possible... we are always open to suggestions as we move forward together.

34. Dat

Dat Savant (340) Texas Aug 5, 2007

I'm not upset or pissed. Demand far outweighs supply and it is out of Shaun/HF's hands once they turn it over to the ticketing agency/company. Shit happens...it's only beer and we move on. ;)

35. jomobono

True that, on to buy tickets on March 3rd. Just hope I don't run into the same problem I had tonight. Time to go cry into my Abner.

36. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

This is the norm of any online ticketed event with higher demand than supply. It comes down to those with the fastest internet, right timing on the reload, and quickest typing fingers to get through the captcha. I would highly doubt that there was any problem with the website. Good luck to everyone on March 3, I'll be there with you, typing my quickest.

37. jomobono

Yeah, I guess I thought I would see a Sold Out banner so I thought something was wrong. Too bad the site doesn't tell you that info as soon as tickets sell out so you are not freaking out. Oh well, on to March 3rd. As long as I get What is Enlightenment, my favorite.

38. grassrootsVT

Ah, yes!
    Anniversary is the annual debut of What is Enlightenment?!

CypherEnigma, j12601 and jomobono like this.
  39. Add me to list of folks on a 7pm, yet shutout. Lame, but whatever- I'll hit them up this summer. Camping in a quiet campground near Stowe is far superior anyway.

jomobono likes this.