1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hitting a "beer wall"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by musicman7070, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Just wondering if anyone else is going through this or has previously, where you just don't feel like drinking beer anymore or a lot of the same styles you do have all taste the same. I'm at the point right now where I have a lot of beer in my fridge. I have recently started to drink it down. I began noticing that as I was working through my stockpile, a lot of my beer started to taste the same (I have/had a lot of stouts and porters). All of my stouts (that I've had so far) at least have the same taste to them. This lead me to think, why should I continue to try different stouts if they are all going to end up tasting the same or very similar, like chocolate, coffee, and faint hints of vanilla? I guess I'm just getting bored of them. Even with other styles, like milk stouts they are starting to taste like regular stouts. I even tried a Belgian dark ale (for the first time) and that tasted somewhat similar to other styles that I've had. I guess I'm just getting bored of beer right now. Has this happened to anyone before?

2. alfrantzell

alfrantzell Savant (375) California Jul 11, 2005

I usually rinse out my glass between beers.

3. I burnt out my palate on IPAs and the like before. Switch styles completely and your love and ability to differentiate flavors will return. Try some scotch ales, winter warmers, pale ales and such...

larryi86, dianimal and KevSal like this.
  4. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

Stop drinking beer for a month.

5. I do get tired of styles and tend to move around. I also take bourbon or wine breaks. I find those taste so wonderful and lively... Then after a period I'll have an IPA and be blown away all over again. My buddies tease me but I also follow the beer calendar to some extent. (enjoying the seasonal that's up on the calendar...)

This seems to keep things fresh for me. What you are experencing is not strange or limited to you.... Good luck

Loveyourbeer and JxExM like this.
  6. Mix it up, try new styles. Or when you drink pour flights, like at a tasting and sip them back to back. They will definately taste different that way. Also, if you smoke, don't do it before you drink. Brush your teeth and eat some saltine cracker, then drink, then smoke

7. If all else fails, drink wine for a while

8. Stop drinking beer. I might stop drinking altogether for a while or drink whisk(e)y. I might dumb it down with macro lager.

RobertColianni likes this.
  9. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Sounds like you drink too many stouts and porters, try a Triple, barleywine, lambic or sour ale. Anything out of your norm. Switch it around a bit and you will regain your taste buds.

TongoRad likes this.
  10. taxman

taxman Savant (265) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

I switch off between beer and single malt whisky. It really livens up the taste buds!

Loveyourbeer likes this.
  11. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Suffering from burnout.

I echo these thoughts. Go enjoy some whiskey for a week then come back.

12. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I do this twice a year. It is good for your health, easier on the wallet, and suddenly makes beer seems like a luxury or a reward again instead of just being something you can have whenever. That's mostly psychologiocal i guess, but i always feel like i get new appreciations back after a month off. And besides so much of the sensation perception thing is mitigated by the "set and setting" as it were. (which is why for example a beer may taste very differnet on a given day depeding upon factors totally external to the beer itself: what you ate, how hydrated you are, how you're feleing locally temporally, and and how you are feeling about your life in general, what else you drank, what the room or area you are in looks, like its temperature, the local air pressure, what els emight be grabbing yoru attention (infotainment sources, other humans or animals which may be around etc etc...) So going back to old stuff can be interesting too because the set and setting are almost sure to be different.

Plus buy beers and hold them for a while. Especially styles or breweries that you are not super familiar with. This increases a focus for me on the experience when im drinking them, makes me pay more attention.

YogiBeer likes this.
  13. Have a Cider they always throw a nice curve ball into the mix

14. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

uh, where have you been drinking!? o_O haha, just kidding, but a second I got a scene in my mind of sipping a barley wine on a whale watching boat, or drinking a sour at the zoo looking at the monkey's, haha.

Anyhow, I agree, many things can affect your palate. Variety, a break, and enjoying some whiskey, bourbon, or wine from time to time are all good ideas. I've been there too OP, just follow some of the advice in this thread, cheers.

15. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

I go on semi-hiatus from beer all the time. For about 6 months all I have been drinking is bourbon, mainly because I got a job at Jim Beam and I get a shit load of free whiskey. To me it gives your palate a nice change of pace.

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  16. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

How long have you been drinking beer?

17. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

The beer you are drinking must not be rare enough...

Bung likes this.
  18. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

I'm kind of at the same point and bought my first bottle of Single Malt Scotch yesterday, The Grangestone 18 yr. I'm really digging whiskey right now & learning about the art and science behind it through reading. I'm sure a week or two of Scotch & Bourbon will bring the liveliness back into a double IPA for me.

19. Absolut

Absolut Savant (435) California Sep 19, 2011

i did this not too long ago. day 31 was heavenly.

luwak likes this.
  20. Regularly? Since the end of August/early September. It hasn't been too long.

21. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

I got to that point with beers available in Florida, so I started trading and whole new world arose.

I thought I knew everything about beer until I got on here and realized that I know very little about what available and how many well known breweries I had never heard of.

22. I knew it! Must get Bourbon County Coffee! hahah

23. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I've been drinking regularly since July, but I drink a different style every day. If fact I sometimes will go overboard on a certain style(stout), so I go out and buy something completely opposite(IPA or Strong Belgian Pale Ale) to make sure I have a variety.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  24. Bingo!

We all have our preferences, and anybody can get into a rut, but there really are so many styles and approaches to beer that something is out there to break you out of it. A Berliner Weiss every now and then will usually keep me from veering off of the road, but sometimes even that can't help and nothing at the store seems exciting any more. At those times I'll go completely in a different direction and find something that gets me into beer again.

MarioM likes this.
  25. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Start aggressively building up a cellar of epic proportions. Don't drink any of the beer, just collect it. It's fun and better for your health. Also, it's better for the environment because you are locking up all that CO2 and keeping it out of the atmosphere.

UnderJoath and luwak like this.
  26. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

Nope. I bought it all.

27. One time I hit a beer wall with my beer car after drinking lots of beer beer.

Kendo and JoeyBeerBelly like this.
  28. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I have gone through this as well. Living in KY, it is hard to find some of the beers that are talked about on here, but there are some good ones. I am a huge IPA fan and that is normally what I drink and there are usually enough varieties that I can find (thank you Schlafly for the Tasmanian), something I want. But that isnt enough some times. I have started to switch between beer and wine (red zins). I also have started drinking stouts, which I didnt care for at first until my wife brought home a growler of Against the Grains (Louisville) Bo and Luke which is a great Russian Imperial Stout.

luwak likes this.
  29. going to agree with most others, you definitely need to mix it up. i get easily bored if i have too much of a specific style, and not necessarily meaning over a period of weeks or months, but even in the same day. i'm always jumping around styles - stouts and ipas to scotch ales and dipas, barleywines, american strongs, etc... many days i won't have any beer at all, giving the palate a rest that way too.

30. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I am going to force my self to hit a wall in Feb. (shortest month) so I can get in better shape for all the summer time beer drinking!

31. mooseisloose

mooseisloose Savant (470) Florida Nov 16, 2005

Sounds like you are beer spoiled and lost the appreciation for fine brew. For the next month drink only Corona, Goebbels, CArling Black Label, Blatz and any other low budget swill you can get your hands on. Then go back to "good" beer with a new appreciation. Repeat as necessary. You may thank me later.

32. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Is it snowing in hell?

creepinjeeper, JoeyBeerBelly and Ri0 like this.
  33. mgoose

mgoose Zealot (90) New Jersey Jan 3, 2012

I just hit a stout wall myself. I'm enjoying a nice glass of cab now. This weekend I'll get into some of my single malt scotch. Then back to beer!

34. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (445) Texas Dec 11, 2006

Don't listen to Seeswo, just give me all of your beer! I promise I'll enjoy every one of them.

35. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

I took a couple year hiatus from the craft scene, not that I was not drinking at all but I cut way back and stopped researching good beers going to beer fest's ect. I must say I have a whole new appreciation for good beers. While I would not recommend going that long a brake is probably in order.

36. I hit that wall once, then i dumped the G/F and realized it was the beer i missed the most

37. I do a palate reset every once in a while if I've been drinking too much of the same style for too long. I usually drink Genny Cream Ale, PBR, or some other lame ass beer for a couple of days, and then hop right back on that pony with a IIPA or Belgian Strong Ale. Seems to work for me.

mooseisloose and diesel59 like this.
  38. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (895) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

This is going to sound the same as other posts, but just find styles that are different from what you are drinking. A little over a year ago I was burnt out on IPAs/IIPAs, was not really enjoying them, and thought I no longer enjoyed IPAs. When this happened I started seeking out more beers that where not like IPAs and ended up taking a week break from beer in general, and that week break I found myself craving IPAs. Sometimes your palate just needs a break, so give it a break.

39. Fatigue happens. I switched from a heavy stout/porter rotation to hoppy beers a few year back. Now I'm stuck on crazy hoppy IPAs and am trying to switch back to more balanced beers. Rotate your styles and you can avoid the wall.

40. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

the cure is in the bottle...

[​IMG]

CoverMePorkins, larryi86 and YogiBeer like this.