1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Hoarders society question

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by pittsburghkid66, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Does anyone know what the Hoarders allocations have been so far this year? In other words, what have the hoarders exclusives been? Thanks.

2. Sour in the Rye with Peaches, I think.

3. It's puzzling that few people seem to seek this one out. It is rated a 97 and a veritable explosion of peaches in a damn fine wild ale that is very mild as far as acetic flavors are concerned. I'm not the biggest fan of sours, but a taster of this almost had me regretting I opted not to go with the HS membership.

It seems like, were this exact brew made by Hill Farmstead, people would be offering up crazy shit on the trade forums. But the Bruery's star seems to have faded quite a lot on the trading scene since they've ramped up production so much, going as far as to diminish the demand for even top-notch small batch beers like SitR w/ Peaches. Not that we should feel sorry for the bruery; the only one who loses here are people who buy their bruery memberships at least party for use as trade ammo.

Hopefully other great breweries will be able ramp up their barrel programs like the bruery has. Maybe BA Abraxas will be as easy to trade for in five years as Black Tuesday is now.

4. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Who would have thought such a simple answer to the OP's question would have generated such a lengthy response? ;)

YaKnowBrady and OtisCampbell like this.
  5. C'mon, dude was asking for it!

MarkIntihar likes this.
  6. Ok, again, what have the Hoarders exclusives been this year? Dont care how they taste, what they are rated, what they trade for. Thanks.

crushedvol and MarkIntihar like this.
  7. Grant35

Grant35 Savant (315) California Jul 7, 2012

8. Verecund

Verecund Savant (315) Texas Aug 31, 2008

Assuming you mean beers that only Hoarders have received (as opposed to Griffon, which both HS and RS received), that's it. Just the one.

Melange #8 and the Riesling Sour Blend were on tap at the initiation celebration, but haven't been released in bottles yet.

9. Ok, thanks guys. Figured it was already April and something else should have been released. Somehow, I was taken off the list and never got notifications or emails so I wanted to make sure I didnt miss anything. Never got the email about the choc rain but saw so many ft's for it figured something was up.

10. You gave birth to a bruery thread. Bruery threads frequently contain an inverted twelfth chromosome that leads to derailments, tangents and midwest/west-coast squabbles. If you want the straight information without any superfluous information, I recommend contacting bruery customer service, which I hear is awful. Or did your query not pertain to bruery's customer service (I forget)?

omniscientcause likes this.
  11. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I'm genuinely confused about how The Bruery, who seems very interested in the business side of brewing, thought that it was a good idea to only put peaches into enough barrels to cater to the Hoarders. You have that much money and peach sours are extremely popular, so you put peaches in like 2 barrels of SitR? The only explanation I can find is that they really wanted to do something to hook up HS members. From a money making perspective though, that beer would have sold out at limit 4 per person.

12. I've always marveled at how many businesses do this. McDonalds, for example, why you must you offer McRib Sandwiches only for a limited time?!? Cruel bastards. It must have something to do with creating a sense of scarcity to drive up demand. If McDonalds is doing it, it must be a tried, true and smart business practice when applied properly.

BMC, God bless their hearts, is veering away from this and is like, hell, if the people want Bourbon County Stout that badly, we're going to make as much of it is possible and suffer through the money we make.

It is certainly possible that the bruery has actually hit a limit in their barrel capacity (even though they've managed to grow it to a level where it is one of the largest in the country).

Smurf2055 and claaark13 like this.
  13. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

It is never quite as simple as this when making beer especially barrel aged beers. There is a huge investment when it comes to fruit sour beers, especially when it is the first time making a particular beer. I am not sure if this particular one was made before, but it is the first time I have heard of it. Fruit is expensive. They might not have had access to unlimited amounts of Peaches. The amount of peaches you need to get a good peach flavor, is generally more than other fruits. What if they made an insane amount, but it didnt turn out, they would lose a lot of money. They probably used this as a test. Since it turned out, sell what they could. If I know the bruery, they will probably make more next time depending on available resources.

MarkIntihar and claaark13 like this.
  14. I think part of it is a lot of Bruery burnout given how many beers they make - if you're really into The Bruery by now, you're just going to join a society. Plus part of it is likely that nobody wants to attempt to trade for Hoarders releases because they know they're going to have to pay out the ass for them. Also, I have to think people are finally catching on that the best Bruery releases just end up getting released again, and in larger quantities.

15. claaark13

I'd buy that, considering I don't know how much more space they have with barrel room expansion. I do know that CR and BT production is up, which takes up the space.

I can see this as well; however, unless the beer tastes like acetone, peach AWAs from a known brewery fly off the shelves in the USA. Furthermore, many times their new beers are purchased by RS members who are blind to the taste of the beer. If they were to take a gamble on something, they should have done it with this. If people bought all of the Mother Funker, people would have bought all of the SitR w/Peaches. If not, they could have taken it to the shelves and it would have sold.

If you don't want to read all of that other shit, it really boils down to me being jealous of the HS members who got SitR w/Peaches.

SubpoenaDeuces, stxSS07 and sarcastro like this.
  16. MarkIntihar

If you really want to try one I can open it with you at DLD :D

EDIT: I should add that this is contingent on me getting them before DLD. Should happen, but not 100% sure yet.

beachstrength49 and claaark13 like this.
  17. sarcastro

The truth comes out. At least you're honest.

One thing I like about bruery is that they take QC seriously and wont release something that they feel isnt up to par. This is just part of that process.

SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  18. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Life...ahhhh, finds a way.

landhoney and MarkIntihar like this.
  19. If you need any help getting your bottles to you in time for DLD I would be more than happy to gopickupforyoubro :)

MarkIntihar likes this.
  20. MarkIntihar

Thanks man, I think Brett has me, but I will let you know if not!

beachstrength49 likes this.
  21. Figured that but thought I would atleast offer since I'm going up there to pick up bottles for Matt and myself. See you soon Mark. Cheers!

MarkIntihar likes this.
  22. Have you forgotten bully guppy so quickly?

claaark13 likes this.
  23. claaark13

Didn't that taste like acetone? Also, it sold out, right? So I guess peach APAs from known breweries will sell regardless. I think by throwing peaches in with a sound base (SitR), the risk of things going wrong were as high as making a version of Black Tuesday with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans.

24. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

From what I understand, the Hoarders Exclusive beers are beers that would cost so much money to produce that the only way they could justify making them was to include them as part of the Hoarder's memberships and offsetting the cost with those fees. Meaning if they were to sell them standalone at $30 or $40 per bottle they still might not make any money from it. Obviously the fruit is expensive. Melange #8 has coffee that costs $120/lb. The Riesling sour and future wine grape BT are going to have actual good wine grapes from a real winery and not just scraps that wineries didn't want.

SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  25. you down for a pretrade? KBS? Halfacre Baume? Sweetwater Winter Warmer?

You just ordered them on the internet.

26. This sounds sensible but I still wonder how a couple peaches and some extra time in the barrel should add $10-$20 to the cost of the SitR bottle, especially assuming that some portion of the HS membership goes towards producing these beers. Maybe if they're putting in like five peaches per bottle I could see it, but as peachy as that beer was, it wasn't Willy Wonka dessert gum peachy.

27. The peach one not so much. However, the others, as mentioned all expensive ingredients, or in the case of the anniv. beer seperately sourced French Oak barrels for example. You don't get a "deal" when you buy like 3 of them! :p

28. PMR

PMR Savant (285) California Mar 31, 2005

Hey All--

A little backstory for Sour in the Rye w/ Peaches-- Chris Quiroga (cquiroga on here, I think) contacted us about an opportunity to get a few hundred pounds of peaches from Masumoto Farms, who grow very high quality organic peaches in the central valley. We were more than excited to get some of this fruit and use it in Sour in the Rye, which seemed like a natural addition given it already has some peach-like aromatics without any fruit.

So basically there wasn't an unlimited amount of fruit available to us, so it was destined to be a small batch of beer. It's also our first time making a peach sour beer, so even if we had access to an unlimited amount of fruit, it's good to limit the size of the batch in case it didn't turn out as well as we would have liked. Thankfully, we're very happy with how it turned out.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    The Bruery

29. You clearly should have said "Either you supply us with enough very high quality organic peaches to produce beer for everyone who wants some, or don't bother supplying us with any very high quality organic peaches at all!"

I learned this in grade school when I brought in candy for my birthday. It's basic stuff! ;)

30. sarcastro

Hmm...sounds a lot like what someone else in the thread said.

31. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Initiate (0) Texas Oct 8, 2008

McDonalds only sells the McRib when pork prices in the market bottom out. When they start to go up again they stop selling it.

32. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (535) Texas Nov 27, 2011

There's pork in the McRib? :confused:

33. whiskey

whiskey Savant (385) California Feb 25, 2012

Hehe, I was going to post this. The McRib actually affects the prices of the worlds pork scraps.

34. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

This literally made me laugh out loud! Comment of the year!!!!!

35. I'll bring one if you want to be my friend

MarkIntihar likes this.
  36. MarkIntihar

You staying with your folks while in town? Will be good to see you again!

37. Yeah staying with my parents. I am actually in town to close on a house. We are moving back July 1st.

MarkIntihar likes this.