1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Hofbrau Maibock-bottling date?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by jibjib513, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jibjib513

jibjib513 Savant (250) Ohio Oct 16, 2012

I was at a local grocery store here in Cincinnati and a 6 pack of Hofrau Maibock caught my eye.

I thought this was a score because it would be a really fresh batch of a seasonal and it was $8.99. Though it seems early in the season for Maibocks, I know how breweries seem to push their seasonals earlier and earlier.

Well, it wasn't until I got home that I began to worry that I had, in fact, picked up a sample of last year's Maibock but I can't be sure.

The date on the bottle reads: "L 033 L 09:57". I take the 033 to be a Julian date which I would think is February 2nd, but is the L telling me the year, and if so, what year? 2012??

If anyone has any knowledge in this area, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  2. L generally stands for Lot nr. (batch nr.)
  3. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

I've seen the HB Maibock on shelves for a year or more here in the Chicago area. If it's old it will have some oxidation in the flavor (voice of experience), sort of a wet cardboard character.