1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Holiday Ale Fest

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Sarlacc83, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Everyone wants to know about this, so I'm going to start it.

I highly recommend going this year. The heftier price is worth it, because there's a lot of big, barrel aged beers this year rather than the over-hopped variants from years past.

Winners:

Stone Suitable for Cave Aging (my favorite of the 'normal' beers, and I got the impression it was a favorite of more than a few others.)

Deschutes Imperial Smoked Porter

Old Gnarleywine 2010

Cascade Diesel #2

Finally, there was a 2007 - 2010 vertical of Abyss on tap yesterday. So, for 8 dollars, you could get 16 oz of vintage Deschutes. Yeah, that was pretty freaking incredible.

2. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

I will be arriving in Portland today and going to the Fest tomorrow. I cannot wait. This is probably my favorite beer event anywhere.

You already listed 2 of the beers I am looking forward to the most (Deschutes and Cascade). Also eager to try the offerings from Collaborator, Commons, Gigantic, and Lucky Lab.

3. Mahlik

Mahlik Aficionado (245) Oregon Aug 21, 2010

I wasn't sure if I was going to go this year. But after yesterday, I'm really happy I did. The Abyss vertical was an awesome last minute surprise! I spent most of my time there. I enjoyed Diesel #2, Bear Republic Prepared to Be Boarded and surprisingly enough, Ninkasi's Ancient Ale-iens. My only real complaint is that FW brought Wild Merkin instead of the regular Velvet Merkin from last year. Wild Merkin wasn't bad. It's just that the Velvet Merkin from last year was my favorite beer of the fest.

4. When did they put the Abyss vertical on? I guess I left too early!

Highlights for me were:

Stone: Suitable for
    Burnside: White Out
    Walking Man: Santa's

Askd about the Crux beer and apparently its due to arrive on Friday.

5. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

They tapped them around 4 or 4:30.

6. The Abyss vertical went on a bit after 4:00pm in the 'Lounge' area, halfway between the lower level and the 'Sky Bar'.

I volunteered yesterday and could only stay for a few minutes after my shift. Tasted 2 beers: Stone SfCA (terrific) and The Commons Boysen (very likable)... will be going back all afternoon tomorrow!

As a pourer at the Sky Bar, I'll have to say it was surprisingly slow until about 5:30pm... most of the time there was no line whatsoever. Beers up there may have been the issue (for instance, I had the McTarnahan's 'Figgy Pudding' tap, which some people enjoyed but an equal number seemed to dislike [aside: how the hell can they call it Figgy Pudding when Block 15 already makes one with the same name???]), but the Breakside India Passion Elixir, Rusty Truck Cherry Chocaholic and Kells Mexican Mocha Porter all had their fans. Overhead a number of people saying Breakside's was their 'favorite'...

Anyhow, lots of fun. I miss working in downtown... :)
    B

7. bosco123

bosco123 Aficionado (130) Oregon May 26, 2008

Dang..also missed the vertical. Enjoyed Samichlaus,Big Nugget,Ten Fiddy,Gnarlywine and yes,Brrrbon. Kells was interesting but a bit watery,the Eisbock,well,give it a try. Did not particularly like Knucklehead,Hallucinator,DFH,or the Tipple. All had either a funky spicyness or a watery mouth feel.
    On my way back now to get in line for Mirror Mirror and Black Sands. Looking forward to Papa Noel,Old Jub,and White out amongst others. Good times.

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  8. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (275) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

I missed the Abyss vert as well...dammit.

http://www.qwizx.com/gssfx/usa/tpirhorns.wav

Highlights for me were the Deschutes Imp Smoked Porter (had it last and might have been my fave from yesterday), Suitable for Cave Aging, and Burnside White Out, which was just really unique.

9. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Knocking on wood... hopefully this will be the last holiday ale festival I will ever miss!!!

10. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

You flew in for this?!

11. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Thanks for the info. I thought the list looked particularly strong this year, but I won't be able to attend until tomorrow (planning on sneaking out of work early). Now I have some ideas of what not to miss.

12. Doh! I was there, but completely oblivious, and maybe a little numb.

Is it just me or is having to wear a crappy bracelet for 4 days kinda annoying? People are going to think I'm an escaped mental patient.

13. exitmusic00

Haha, agreed! I was thinking the same thing...I'm a grown-ass man having to wear a paper bracelet for a solid 96 hours. Perhaps the folks at my job interview today will be impressed by my VIP status. :rolleyes:

14. maltmaster420

Yes. Yes it is. I don't understand the reasoning either. During the PIB (which is run by the same person) you could re-enter all weekend as long as you kept your wristband with you, so I'm not sure what the logic is for requiring you to keep it on. I'm lucky in the sense that I work in the industry and no one will be surprised to see a wristband on my arm, but I feel bad for the folks who work in offices or other places where they have to look professional.

15. TheNewSchool

TheNewSchool Disciple (70) Oregon Oct 6, 2011

Chris, the PIB is actually not ran by the same person, it's ran by Rick not Preston who runs HAF. Preston used to be involved but not any longer.

Anyway I found a lot of good beers at HAF yesterday but nothing that was really fantastic. The Abyss vertical was a really nice bonus though.

16. I asked both security at the door (not always known for 100% fact accuracy) and the coordinator of volunteer check-in/check-out (whose statement I trust) about this last night. Both said (paraphrasing): "so long as you bring back your mug and wristband (regardless of whether it is still on your wrist) you would be readmitted on other days". Seems like they've relaxed the policy of a couple years ago...

Brian

PS: although I think that lime green wristband must look very cool at work (boss does, too, I'm sure... ;) ), I cut mine off last night... will be testing the above re-entry policy tomorrow...

exitmusic00 likes this.
  17. maltmaster420

You're right, I had forgotten that Preston was no longer working with Rick on the PIB. Still, it doesn't change the fact that forcing people to wear a wristband for 5 straight days is ridiculous.

18. exitmusic00

Ahhh, thanks for the info! Now I remember them telling me that I should "try" to keep it on. Eh, I tried. :)

19. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

I'm hitting the festival up tomorrow. The anticipation has been driving me crazy! I start drooling every time I look at the line-up... which I've been doing a lot

20. I always look forward to holiday ale festival, and this year was no exception. Ended up being there from about 1:30 to 7 yesterday.

Here's what I enjoyed the most:
    Stone - SFCA
    Breakside - IPE
    Deschutes - Imp Smoked Porter
    The Commons - Boysen
    Oakshire - Very Ill Tempered Gnome
    Rusty Truck - Cherry Chocoholic Baltic Porter (a lot of flavor for a "smaller" brew)
    Widmer - Brrrbon Vanilla (a pleasant surprise)

And of course, the special tappings didn't disappoint. The '05 Sami, '08 Old Stock, and the '08 Big Nugget were all outstanding! Not to mention the '07 Abyss- definitely a treat!

Here's what I found to be disappointing:
    Fort George - Three Wisemen
    FW - Wild Merkin (really wish they had the merkin from last year on again this year)
    Collaborator - Hallucinator (not bad, but very far from what I was expecting; verges on a sour, imo)
    Bayern - Eisbock (just not on par with the style, imo)

Hope this info can be of some use. Cheers!

21. bosco123

bosco123 Aficionado (130) Oregon May 26, 2008

Day two. Must haves include,
    Diesel#2-bourbon and vanilla.yeah
    Full Sail Black Gold-same as above with a bit more smoke
    And...Stone Suitable for Cave Aging. Sweet bourbon and vanilla notes. Soo good.
    As you can see..there is a common theme here.
    Also had some more Gnarlywine and the Mirror Mirror called me back time and time again.
    Still pouring the abyss vertical...it's okay.08 was my fav.
    Good year,good times.
    P.S. I love my wristband

22. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

oh man. my face hurts.

23. exitmusic00

Just to follow up...I went in yesterday with my wristband that I had removed, and they just gave me a new one. Crisis averted. :)

24. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

When I paid for my mug and wristband yesterday, they didn't mention anything about keeping the wristband for readmittance on another day. Yikes. I'm glad I saw this thread today. I had a few moments of panic, but found mine and my girlfriend's wristbands in my coat pocket this morning.

25. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

The wristbands are really easy to remove and re apply if anyone is worried. Put a towel between the band and your arm so you don't burn yourself, use a hair dryer and peel slowly. It will come right off. Do the same to re apply.

Had a decent time last night. Bear Republic and Walking Man made some of the worst beers I've ever had. Man were those disgusting. Tasted like a child spilled an allspice container in the mash. Had to pour them both out.

The Commons, Full Sail Black Gold and Stone made up for it I suppose.

vurt and boMD like this.
  26. exitmusic00

Deschutes Snow Quad...get some.

27. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

I thought the Bison Cocoa Bretta was pretty interesting. It melded together pretty well IMHO.

I was not as impressed with the Crux Fermentation Project offering. It wasn't bad by any means, but I after all the great things I've been hearing about them I was expecting something a little more pronounced.