1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Holland America Cruise Ship Beer Tasting

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by UnderbellyAles, Feb 9, 2013.

1. I just got back from a 10 day Panama Canal cruise on ms Zuiderdam, a Holland America line cruise ship and there was a beer tasting on board. I blindly signed up on day one, obviously not knowing what to expect. They certainly did not let me down! The four beers we "tasted" were:
    Miller Lite
    Molson
    Grolsch
    Blue Moon

No, I did not make that up. It was a wild ride but I feel like I have a new appreciation for beer after that trip.

jazzyjeff13 likes this.
  2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

At least the beer was free, right? Ain't much free alcohol on a cruise ship, even if it only marginally qualifies as beer.

That's a really funny story, dude. Which was the "winner?"

3. Steimie, if it's like ship cruise wine tastings he had to pay extra for it. Every cruise I've been on has been like that except for my last one. It was a Royal Caribbean cruise and they had a beer of the day each day. Some days it was things like Peroni and Grolsch but they also had Sam Adams Double Bock and Imperial White, Dogfish Head Tweason'ale and Red Hook Longhammer.

4. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Wow, so it was an even worse experience. Good to know.

5. That's one of those stories that ends with "but turns out it was all a bad dream."

bunique686 likes this.
  6. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Wow. Condolences. But then again cruise ships are notorious about bad beer and good wine and champagne.

7. i actually did have to pay $10 for the tasting. Fortunately I snuck on six bombers from Ft. Lauderdale including Cascade Kriek, Noble Rot, Bitches Brew and a few others.

8. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

At least your ship didn't have to get towed to Alabama.