1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Home Brew Books

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Nocontrol1977, Feb 11, 2013.

1. About to venture into my first home brew. What has been the most helpful book to read before getting started?

2. Snowrs

Snowrs Savant (390) Indiana Oct 10, 2009

Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing

Palmer's How to Brew

3. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

How to brew by Palmer is all you need to get started.

kagent777 likes this.
  4. bump8628

bump8628 Savant (485) Oklahoma Feb 21, 2008

How to Brew by Palmer for technique and process

Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff for great no fail recipes and some additional solid advice

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Papazian for the history, nostalgia, and the general spirit of homebrewing. Still a fun read despite some of it being dated. RDWHAHB!

jsullivan02130 likes this.
  5. This.

6. I second the Joy of Homebrewing , a great book , also there is a book called Brew like Monk that is a very interesting read

7. I actually bought Palmer's How To Brew yesterday, thinking about starting the journey into homebrewing myself. Easy reading and informative so far - glossary in the back is very helpful, along with charts :)

8. Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers is a great read, after you get the basics down. Haven't tried makng any of the psychotropicbrews... Yet.

9. KISSFR33K

KISSFR33K Aficionado (190) Michigan Sep 15, 2012

John J Palmers How to brew

10. bryreeves

bryreeves Zealot (90) Massachusetts Oct 25, 2012

11. I think I'm gonna get a few. Both of these were suggested by people that I know that brew. I need the know how more than finesse at this point. Understanding the process seems daunting. Ha.

12. stealth

stealth Advocate (555) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Just brewed my first batch last night. How to Brew was my bible. Would have never thought of rehydrating my yeast if I simply had followed the NB instructions.

13. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

These were going to be my two votes (my first books) - the Papazian book is a great set of "training wheels" for when you first get going. I still find myself referring back to the Palmer book quite a bit.

From what I've heard of him on webcasts Palmer sounds like a really cool guy - no agenda, ego in check and doesn't take himself too seriously. I kind of like that.

14. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Nah. It's a lot of information to digest at first. But it's not rocket surgery. Pretty much anybody who's motivated can get the process down after a couple batches.

TheMonkfish likes this.
  15. I have been in the restaurant biz for a long time and am a GM of a restaurant and bar but have cooked all my life. Hope it's a lot like making a luxurious hoppy alcohol infused beautiful sauce.

kagent777 likes this.
  16. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Totally. When I first went all grain every dream I had for three weeks was about stuff I had read and worrying about not messing up the process (kind of like when I was really into Tetris and everything I saw resembled a Tetris shape.)

The only recommendations I would make to my former self when doing batch #1 would be to have fun and take notes of everything you do/all steps in the process.

Welcome to the fold OP!

17. It's like Xmas morning.

18. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Sanitation is a key component to success. That is a learn it and live it as far as I am concerned. The home brew forum here is a great place to browse as I have recently learned. Have fun, get good gear, and don't let it scare you none. And find a bunch of friends...you make it faster than you can drink it!

Palmer and Papazian - +1 for sure. Oh and write stuff down as someone mentioned. Notes are valuable lessons.

19. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Definitely Palmer's How to Brew. I also found Sam Calagione's Extreme Beewing helpful. Even though the recipes are "extreme," it gives a good step-by-step set of instructions.

You'll have a great time. I just brewed my first batch, and the excitement I felt when fermentation started was pretty damn cool.

20. How to brew is a really good one as others posters have said. Not sure if I am allowed to mention it on this site but, Homebrewtalk.com is an incredible online resource. It is also free. Cheers and good luck.

21. Brewing Classic Styles got me on track after 2 years of concocting and brewing recipes that didn't make a lot of sense. Radical Brewing has also had some great information. My only complaint is that both books occasionally feel slightly dated when it comes to newer hops and dry yeast. That said they really cover the basics with solid info and over the last year have helped me level up my brewing.

22. Have started to read How to Brew by Palmer and scheduled a hands on intro class in March for a little hands on before my first brew. Book is great. Thanks for the suggestions.